good , non-bloatware PDF reader

• CMS Author

I'm wondering if anybody could recommend something to install on my new DAW.

Check out the open source PortableApps project. I discovered this in the PC Travel magazine that came with a hotel room I stayed in last month. It's a set of "de-bloated" versions of common applications (including a PDF viewer) that are designed to fit on, and be run from a USB memory drive.

The intent is that if you're traveling and not carrying your computer with you but will have access to a computer, you can carry your work applications with you, including your personal setup and data (like your e-mail mailbox and web browser bookmarks) and have any computer look like "home." I would think that this is an elegant approach to running the occasional mainstream applications on your DAW computer without affecting the DAW setup.

• Members

If you're on a Mac, you get Apple's Preview application included with the OS. It's way faster to load and can "view" pdf files and a LOT more.

However, even though I love Preview, I use Acrobat for pdf files. Yeah, it's bloated as you say, and the update reminders are a bit annoying, but I don't care. Acrobat is a great program, and the fact that it behaves identically on my Macs and my PCs is a big plus.

• Members

Yeah... I can't tell you what a relief it was to get that bloated, slow POS Acrobat off my machine once and for all.

Even better, FoxIt doesn't stop me every other time I use it trying to get me to download and install yet another plugin or patch to make it run slower and slower -- as Acrobat does...

I use CutePDF Writer as a "printer plug in" -- and it works REALLY well for all those receipts and web docutments you want to save as a PDF. (One thing it doesn't do, far as I can figure, is leave links as links on web pages.)

For heavier duty PDF creation, I'd probably go back to Software995's PDF995... which you can use free by by putting up with a pop up browser ad for their software... it's nothing particularly intrusive. The browser loads with Software995's web page up when you run the software but that's it.

• Members

Thanks guys,

Foxit fits the bill perfectly!!! Reading a magazine on pdf will be 1k times less of a chore now. What the hell is adobe thinking??? There's chokes on a color add page , foxit is'nt phased! what an improvement!!!!!

:D

:D :D

:D :D :D

• Members

Acrobat is more of a virus or spyware than an application, the way it wants to update itself every two weeks.

No kidding... if the continual increasing bloat didn't push you away the constant need to be updating should.

Acrobat or Adobe PDF Reader or whatever they call it now is one big, putrid POS.

Archived