Do you have the Impulsive Buyer Syndrome?

temnov

• Members

Usually not.

But there ARE times when something's simply too good a deal to pass up. Even if I don't need the item, I know a) I'll make good use of it AND/OR b) IF I decide to sell it, I'll get back more than I paid. Either way, it's a good investment; long as it's not a waste of $$$, I'm OK with it.

• Members

I have a lot of free plugins, very good ones. And I just got this Tritone's Phase :( There is no hope left.

Remove the Musician's Friend and Sweetwater catalogs from the bathroom.

It is worse. They (catalogs and magazines) are everywhere, in living room, in kitchen, even in bedroom

What amazes me is the fact that just 10 years ago it wasn't possible to make all those sound manipulations without racks of outboard gears. It makes it harder to fight this madness.

• Members

I have a lot of free plugins, very good ones. And I just got this Tritone's Phase
:(
There is no hope left.

It is worse. They (catalogs and magazines) are everywhere, in living room, in kitchen, even in bedroom

What amazes me is the fact that just 10 years ago it wasn't possible to make all those sound manipulations without racks of outboard gears. It makes it harder to fight this madness.

Resist the temptation!

/I say while quietly ignoring the fact that I just ordered a new soundcard for my laptop so that I could listen to 24/96 audio files away from home... there is no hope...

:D

• Members

I understand, my place is on the Gearslutz, but I like this place a lot. Besides, Booshy just got his new Yamaha's and my birthday is coming, too.

No hope..

Probably just Craig could resist as he gets the stuff for reviewing, anyway.

• Members

I began saving .pdfs of product brochures in a gear file. Everything that I thought that I liked went into the folder. I find that few things look sadder than last year's specs.

I think Angelo has it right - this behavior is some kind of instinctive imagination / problem solving exercise. If you frame it that way, the acquisition is as much about you as it is about new stuff.

• Members

I'm not an impulsive buyer, but I am an obsessive contemplator.

I think about stuff I want and of all the things I could do if only I had it. I'm such a dreamer.

Fortunatly, I rarely make the purchase. It's more important to just use the stuff you have. I was more creative with a 4-track than I've been with all of my digital {censored}.

There have been a few times where I did buy stuff impulsively, and I think without exception I have regretted the purchase each time.

• Members

Well, the EZDrummer anniversary free expansion with purchase was more than I could stand so I just got it with the Vintage drum exp. Oh man, this is some groovy software!

ps the new Sweetwater catalog came with it and I am a catalogaholic so....

• Members

Fortunatly, I rarely make the purchase. It's more important to just use the stuff you have. I was more creative with a 4-track than I've been with all of my digital {censored}.

I don't know about all that... the whole time I had my old 4-track, I wrote maybe 6-7 songs. Since I got into DAW based recording 4-5 years ago I have written and recorded 50 songs. Go figure.

:thu:

• Members

I think its good to have some limits like you do with a 4 track, it forces you to get creative. However, with DAWs/plugs its hard to feel limited. Whatever the case, you can pretty much do everything these days with limited gear where 15-20 years ago you needed tons of outboard, tape machines, etc...

So its a blessing or a curse depending on how you view it. Whatever the case, this thread is all about GAS which is a good thing as long as it doesn`t get in the way of making music. For many, needing that other piece of gear is just an excuse for not making music or an excuse for not having the chops. Thats why I say, master what you have.

• Members

I find worrying about having the most up-to-date specs silly.

I find that few things look sadder than last year's specs.

One thing my IBS is NOT about is spec-chasing! I do pity the guy who feels a burning need to unload his Motif because he 'needs' the new Motif ES, which has a slightly enhanced triple-strike piano sample.

To each their own I guess.

• Members

originally posted by
coyote-1

I find worrying about having the most up-to-date specs silly.

good point - I would not apply it to instruments either.

I was thinking of interfaces, computers and storage. Stuff that more or less predictably marches forward.

My point is to put a little distance between the stuff and the perceived need.

Then examine the things that I thought would solve problems.

Determine to my own satisfaction if I still define the problem in the same way.

Determine whether this problem needs to be solved now.

Determine whether I am making the decision based on my ability to afford it now - Is there a better solution that I am ignoring?

• Members

I have this same problem with G.A.S..

Shopping and buying things, and finding good deals is a euphoric process, it gets the endorphins going.

I just scored a Redsound Voyager Beat Xtractor last night for thirty bucks, a friend of mine is moving to Scotland so he sold it to me at a great price. It felt good.

• Members

No, I don't have this....it's too damn expensive. I have zero balance on my credit card, and it's going to freakin' stay that way!!! I buy what I need, and that's about it. I say this about all gear, everything...

I do buy a LOT of CDs, though, but I don't know that I would say this is impulsive, but it's about as close as it gets.

If I see clothing I like, I tend to get it right away, but that's more because I can't stand shopping for clothing.

Archived