Metallic sound in "Lay Lady Lay"

• Members

I know many of you must know the record "Lay Lady Lay" by Bob Dylan (1969).

What is that metallic percussive instrument heard throughout the song, but especially during the intro figures? I've got it panned to my right stereo channel here...

I thought maybe a cowbell, but now I'm not so sure...

guesses?

• Moderators

I'm at work and I seem to only have Disc 1 on The Essential Bob Dylan but let me try and remember...

No wait! iTunes. Back in a minute...

Cowbell. There are 2 distinct pitches so either it's 2 bells, like the ones mounted on a common shaft, or 1 bell being muted with closed hand then the hand opening on some notes to change the pitch. My bet is on the latter idea as it still sounds like both notes are muted to a degree. Then he opens his hand, closes his hand to create that tock tock, horse clop figure.

• Moderators

Oh... and it's kind of cool you mention that because just 6 months ago or so I was re-diving into Bob's catalog when I took note of that same sound and admired the part idea and the performance of it. It's mixed way out front which seemed to happen more back then. It's cool.

• Members

I know this is gonna make me sound unhip, but that actually reminds me of that clogging sound heard toward the beginning of Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler". That actually doesn't sound much like cowbell--it's a much weirder, exotic sound. Can't figure out what it is. Anyone know?

But in Lay Lady Lay's case, it definitely sounds like a percussionist who just really knows how to work that cowbell. :)

• Members

I know this is gonna make me sound unhip, but that actually reminds me of that clogging sound heard toward the beginning of Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler".
:)

Hey kurdy, as i open up to learning the art of EQ, reverb, delays, mic technique, i'm finding that some of the hippest records are actually the squarest ones.

Plus, Kenny Rogers is from Houston, and ya gotta represent. ;)

• Members

I don't know what that is, but that song helped me write another one. I took the initial progression - A, C#m, G, Bm and turned it around to Bm, G, C#m, A and applied power chords on up to Bm. I don't know how to get it from iTunes to here, but I'll try linking.

(later) Well, I've learned how to get from Apple's format to MP3 and then into a Soundclick page I've never used, but now I've gotta wait for approval. It doesn't sound as good in MP3, but I'm not sure how it got into iTunes in the first place.

OK, here it is FWIW Young Girl Nervous.

Archived