American Idol 40 years ago

• Members

I was just thinking how much great music we may have never heard if Sonny Bono, Sting, Dylan etc. got voted off of American Idol. We have lots of great hit tunes from "ok" vocalists. I don't even think that Mick Jagger would have made the cut.

Any thoughts?

Dan

• Members

Go back, 30-40 years. The American Idol of the day would have been all about Barbra Streisand...etc.

Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, people like that wouldn't have stood a chance.

And they're not bad singers! They're great singers! American Idol is all about vocals for vocals sake...the "big show", i.e. Celine Dion singing "And so this is Christmas" (Happy Christmas, War is Over)...

But just because John Lennon didn't belt like Celine doesn't mean he wasn't a good singer. I'd rather listen to Lennon.

• Members

we're nowhere near the point of people only being able to make it in the music business by winning american idol. (and even the losers have gotten record deals.) so if someone decides to go back in time and start american idol 40 years ago, i don't think we need to worry too much.

on the other hand, wouldn't it be kind of neat if a "future bob dylan" ended up on american idol?

but the image of sting, sonny bono, and bob dylan on an american idol show is pretty amusing. :)

• Members

i actually dont like SINGERS... i like them more rough around the edges with something to say instead of a "pretty voice" saying absolutely nothing.

yeah. what could someone with a pretty voice possibly know about life? i prefer when singers sound really tough, too. all tired like they've been doing manual labor for the last forty years. or someone with some sort of mouth or throat cancer. that's character! ;)

• Members

We HAD an American Idol show 40 years ago. It was called "Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour". It was on the air for about a bazillion years. And lots of eventually famous people were booted off that show. There were also a few who got their record deals and subsequent fame because of that original Idol tv show. One act that comes to mind is The Gentry's & their 60's hit 'Keep On Dancin". The entire total complete reason they and that record are played still today (on the oldies radio..if it still exists) is because those guys won on Ted's show and got a record deal from it. Not exactly a memorable act in the history of pop music, but you get the idea.

I think Zappa was also on that show or maybe his first incarnation was on the Steve Allen show of the 50's...don't exactly remember the details on that one.

• Members

yeah. what could someone with a pretty voice possibly know about life? i prefer when singers sound really tough, too. all tired like they've been doing manual labor for the last forty years. or someone with some sort of mouth or throat cancer. that's character!
;)

i meant singers that sing "technically" great, but dont necessarily have ANY soul to their notes or words. imagine janis joplin on americant idol. or bob marley... both sang some powerfully soulful songs that very few singers these days can match [course there are lots of others that should be mentioned but those two popped in my head for some reason]. of course a lot of that was because they had their whole "band" kinda deal happening... i saw blixa bargeld sing once, completely in german and pretty much got exactly what he was saying.

there just seems to be a lack of that, even in some of the singers people consider good these days... i can hear their imitation of influences but i dont hear THEM in their singing.

i dunno, i just ramble.

• Members

i meant singers that sing "technically" great, but dont necessarily have ANY soul to their notes or words . . .

yeah. i had a feeling that's what you meant. but i wasn't completely sure from what you said. anyway, i was mostly being a jerk for jerking's sake. :)

from the 80s, there's also star search, which was somewhat similar to american idol. a lot of stars appeared on that show. it seems like the most famous people from the show weren't the big winners.

• Members

Actually it's hard to say because AI is nothing more than a popularity contest-it has nothing at all to do with great singing. and that's a fact.

eh, to a degree.

a bad singer still isn't gonna win, no matter how much people like them

• Members

yeah. i had a feeling that's what you meant. but i wasn't completely sure from what you said. anyway, i was mostly being a jerk for jerking's sake.
:)

from the 80s, there's also star search, which was somewhat similar to american idol. a lot of stars appeared on that show. it seems like the most famous people from the show weren't the big winners.

yeah, star search wasn't so dramatic though. people won on a per-show basis, they didn't drag it out over an entire season.

i think :o

• Members

I was just thinking how much great music we may have never heard if Sonny Bono, Sting, Dylan etc. got voted off of American Idol. We have lots of great hit tunes from "ok" vocalists. I don't even think that Mick Jagger would have made the cut.

Any thoughts?

Dan

I don't think American Idol is even relevant. I've never seen the show. Of course I've heard much ado about it but those that have actually launched careers from it don't add up to a speck of sand on the beach IMO.

• Members

It's amazing what you all think of a tv format!

Some of you may heard, that there is a tv show in planning where all contestants have kidney failure, and the winner get the kidney of a dying person.

---> A Dutch TV station says it will go ahead with a programme in which a terminally ill woman selects one of three patients to receive her kidneys.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6699847.stm

Archived