OT: How does MSN know where I live?

ekeys

• Members

On my computer it looks like they are using the information for the last sign-in to Customer Source for Great Plains. Microsoft is tying Messenger, Hotmail and their Customer Source system together which is aggrovating when you want personnel accounts seperated form business. When I log on to my personnel Hotmail at work then that address defaults in when I start to log on to Customer Source. I have Messenger disabled agency wide.

In short, they are probably using your last login to Messenger or Hotmail and that is not stored in a cookie.

• Members

IP address is what I was going to suggest until I went to MSN and looked at the weather. Instead of giving me weather for my location it is giving me weather for the town I was born in, which also happens to be the address associated with my hotmail account.

• Members

IP address is what I was going to suggest until I went to MSN and looked at the weather. Instead of giving me weather for my location it is giving me weather for the town I was born in, which also happens to be the address associated with my hotmail account.

Perhaps MSN will use provided information that users willingly submit to them, but in the absence of supplied information; they rely on the IP address as a default for target marketing.

After cleaning out all my temp files, cookies, etc. using the pc utility ccleaner, I go to MSN.com and my local weather forecast is there. How is this possible?

IIRC, some sites collect cookies on their server end that allow them to recognize repeat visitors to their site.

• Members

It is very easy to tell what IP address your machine is assigned on the Internet and it is well known what geographic area this represents. The Internet is well established and very transparent these days, there is nothing you do on your computer that can be hidden if someone with sufficient interest and resources can find out!

Archived