How to mic an accordian

• Moderators

Feel free to make accordian jokes!

I'm tracking a traditional, professional accordian this weekend and would love input from anybody who has done this. He'll be using the bass buttons as well. It's in the big room. 18' ceiling. 25 x 12.

My thoughts are to just back off 3' or so and go Blumlien...

Anyone?

• Members

Is it going to be in a mix or solo?

I've had luck with a RE-20 about 1.5 away and even have used a EV 635...less acurate mics can work well as they don't pick up all the mechanical noise.

• Moderators

Is it going to be in a mix or solo?

In a mix. One tune is a pseudo Klezmer folk tune. They other 2 are character pads for a new wavish band. Drums, bass, guitar, Ld vox and BGs, marimba and vibes...

Oh, and tracking alone in the room. OD.

• Members

I would go with a flat dynamic mic at a closer range. Unless it is for folk or ethnic music, I always try to keep the accordian as dry as possible and add FX after. In a new wavish thing, there is no way when the band would play live that the accordian will make much effect in the ambient presence of the room. It will be lost in the SPL of everything else. So dry is my preference. Then I also try to mimimize the noise generate from the player. I have used a EV 666 for this and had goo results. I also do not stereo track an accordian unless it is again ethnic or folk. IMO it will never have stereo presence on its own. It will have to be simulated, so I prefer that I be placed in a mix as such. My two cents.

• Moderators

Good suggestions. I ended up trying the single mic, an RE-20, and not liking it. Too harsh sounding. It picks up a portion of the sound it seemed. Remember, he was using those bass buttons as well so the sound was originating from all directions of the instrument. So... my initial instinct of using a Blumlien with 414's worked beautifully. 3' back, plenty of presence, but warm and spacious as well.

Bruce's love of Blumlien, and my love of Bruce's recordings are the inspiration for this and it works very naturally. It's so easy the strike the perfect blend of clarity vs. reflections by varying distance.

It seem my fallback technique for micing instruments I'm not sure about is becoming, "mic the room, not the instrument". At least in an overdub situation

• Members

Good suggestions. I ended up trying the single mic, an RE-20, and not liking it. Too harsh sounding. It picks up a portion of the sound it seemed. Remember, he was using those bass buttons as well so the sound was originating from all directions of the instrument. So... my initial instinct of using a Blumlien with 414's worked beautifully. 3' back, plenty of presence, but warm and spacious as well.

Bruce's love of Blumlien, and my love of Bruce's recordings are the inspiration for this and it works very naturally. It's so easy the strike the perfect blend of clarity vs. reflections by varying distance.

It seem my fallback technique for micing instruments I'm not sure about is becoming, "mic the room, not the instrument". At least in an overdub situation

Thanks for the follow up...I'll give it a try next time.

• Members

Alright, so nobody has an accordion joke? Well, here's mine:

A guy goes to a shopping mall and locks his car with an accordion in the back window. When he gets back a couple hours later, he finds the back window smashed, and now there are two accordions there!

• Moderators

Mic the accordion with an AKG C1000.

Put both the C1000 and the accordion in a very deep abandoned well. Fill the well with dirt.

You'll solve two problems that way...

Is that run through the Behringer pre and comp as well? Or do you use the Alesis 3060 instead?

• Members

Well, you asked for it!

This guy plays a New Years Eve gig and afterward the club owner says "Great job, can you play again next year?"

The accordionist replies, "Sure, can I leave my instrument here until then?"

The difference between an onion and accordion?

People cry when they chop up onions.

What did people say when the ship loaded with accordions sank in the ocean?

Well, it's a start.

What's the difference between an accordion and a cat?

Only the cost, they both make the same kinds of sounds when you squeeze them.

How do you make two accordionists play in time?

Shoot one of them.

What do a true music lover and an accordionist have in common?

Absolutely nothing.

If you drop an accordion, a set of bagpipes and a viola off a 20-story building, which one lands first and which way up do they land? Who cares?

What is the definition of a gentleman?

Somebody who knows how to play the accordion, but doesn't.

What is a bassoon good for?

Kindling for an accordion fire.

What is the difference between an Uzi and an accordion?

The Uzi stops after 20 rounds.

What is an accordion good for?

Learning how to fold a map.

What do you call an accordion player with a pager?

An optimist.

What is the range of an accordion?

Twenty yards if you've got a good arm!

What is the difference between an accordion player and a terrorist?

Terrorists have sympathizers.

Why do some people automatically hate accordionists?

It saves a lot of time.

Why do Accordionists make good politicians?

They are used to playing both ends off against the middle.

What does a long court hearing and a bad accordionist have in common?

There is always a huge sigh of relief when the case is closed.

How many accordions can you fit in a telephone box?

101 if you chop them fine enough.

What is the definition of perfect pitch?

Closing your eyes, turning your back and throwing an accordion into the bin without touching the sides.

Archived