MIDI note duration zero??!!?

• Members

What could be simpler? I've hooked up a Yamaha DD-55 drum pad module to Sonar 4 and I'm recording MIDI sequences by banging on the pads. Battery2 is the VST hosted by Sonar.

Most of the softer notes are recording in Sonar with durations of zero. How can that be? Sonar is picking up velocity, the note itself (which is probably from the Note On message), and it's picking up durations of 5, 10 & 15 ticks on the other notes. Why the multiples of fives?

I've got it set on 960 ticks per quarter note.

With zero duration of course, the notes don't sound when the sequence is played back.

The MIDI editing in Sonar, AFAICT, allows for percentage increases, which has no effect on zero durations. I tried Lengthen - no luck. I tried Quantize Note Durations - no luck.

Is there someway to set the durations to a base level? An offset somewhere? Something to get rid of the zero durations.

For that matter, how can Sonar read "zero" duration anyway, when it's picking up the other info?

Surely there's a switch or process or offset of other parameter that can solve what seems to be a basic, entry-level problem. But in spite of all my years of MIDI experience, this one has me stumped for the time being.

nat whilk ii

• Members

my drum machine plays back sequences from sonar even if all the durations are zero.

maybe theres a way to make battery read midi triggers while ignoring the duration.

try adjusting the pad sensitivity or pad volume in the yamaha?

i couldnt get sonar to adjust 0 durations at all, but when i exported midi to another sequencer program it was easy.

• Members

What could be simpler? I've hooked up a Yamaha DD-55 drum pad module to Sonar 4 and I'm recording MIDI sequences by banging on the pads. Battery2 is the VST hosted by Sonar.

I've used the DD-55 in Sonar with no problem, however I went from ver. 2 to ver. 5

Why not leave Battery out and see what happens just recording midi directly from the DD-55.

• Members

Lots of helpful responses, thx.

1. The Event Inspector option indeed works. I can set all the selected notes to the same duration with it. Why didn't Sonar's Help mention this? I read all the entries having to do with duration...

2. Battery2 loaded as a DXi has problems with zero durations. Since Jon has educated me about the way drum machines transmit "on and off", this seems very odd that a drum program would have this issue.

3. Battery2 loaded as a VST plays back the zero durations just fine.

So I think the basic problem is with Battery2 in at least the DXi version.

I'll experiment with the duration jitters and tempo later. I hope some Sonar experts or company people tune in on this issue of "internal" resolution vs reported resolution. To get only 192 when you think you've got 960 is quite an issue. That would mean that the 960 is just meaningless window dressing that actually takes up additional processing time just to alter the reported resolution.

I suspect there are deeper layers of issues going on here regarding the appearance of durations that jump by a certain factor, and why there is any duration at all if the drum machine is not sending a true "Note Off".

Other than this odd issue, I do love Battery2 - infinitely easier to set up kits and controllers and such, than anything I've used before for drums.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Hey nat whilk II,

Do you have any other external hardware midi controllers that you can plug into your midi port and record midi events? :confused:

If so, do they behave like your Yamaha DD-55?

Do their durations also quantize to multiples of five?

Btw, I

• Members

Recording from my keyboard or drum pads in sonar i get every possible duration value, not just multiples of five.

My theory is that the Yamaha unit is sending 0s 5s & 15s, and Sonar is simply accurately capturing what comes in the midi port.

If i understatnd correctly, the 960 ppqn is the resolution of midi quantization within Sonar.

Archived