Something totally dumb that will get me in the Guinness Book...

• Members

From the KYYS FM website...

June 3rd, 2007.

Radio Station KYYS.FM has found out that the Guinness World Record for 'Largest Guitar Ensemble' is still held by 1,323 Canadians that set it in 1994.

Today, that will change. The goal was 1,324 but the hope was 2,000. The reality turned out to be 1,683

Click Here for a nicely formatted slideshow of all of the pictures my wife and I took. The ones that are tagged 'D070603...' are mine, the 'E070603...' are hers.

It uses a script control so you may have to click to allow it to load.

If you were there and playing, click on this thumbnail for the picture of you (and everybody else) breaking the record.

1683 Guitars playing "Smoke on the Water" simultaneously...HAHAHA

• Members

Was that at Arrowhead???

Man, what a let down... I thought that I was going to get to hear 1,683 guitars playing Smoke on the Water all at once when I first clicked on the slide show. :mad::cry::p

Sorry I missed the show, that would have been a good one to see.

Pretty cool that you got to be a part of it. I thought I might have saw a few faces in the crowd that I recognize; I'll have to ask those that looked familiar if they were there. It'll be a good topic for discussion.

• Members

Ted, that's priceless!

Watch out for those pesky Canadians though - they're sure to steal the record back. A few years ago in Bath, I saw the world record for sax players broken (can't remember how many - {censored} loads of 'em, led by PeeWee Herman). Within 24 hours, the Canadians upped the ante by a couple of hundred :D

• Members

I tried inserting the picture, but it's too large for the forum tables and throws it out of whack. Ted is in this pic, if I am not mistaking, right between the first and the second Hillshire Farms logos located under the Arthur Bryants sign. He's the bearded guy behind the guy with the shaved head near the wall with the logos. Don't mistake him for the bearded dude that looks like he could have played with ZZTop. Click the photo to enlarge it.

http://www.svandyke.com/kycameraguy/smoke/Big/D070603128.jpg

• Members

Yep, that was me.

And yeah, it was fun. Just plain silly, dopey fun, which, at least the last time I checked my contract, I'm still allowed to have. Fun I can have. Just nothing sharp.

I'm glad I did it. It was kinda like a total eclipse of the sun...I'll probably never again in my lifetime hear nearly 1700 guitars all playing the same riff in nearly perfect time. It almost kinda had that timbre like a marching band does.

• Members

Just a rough guesstimate, Phil...I'd say about 1/2 brought acoustics, 1/2 brought electrics. Of those electrics, probably about 1/2 had little battery belt-clip amps, Marshall mini-halfstacks, Dano Honeytones...stuff like that. The other 1/2 of the electrics were just totally unplugged.

Wow...it made the Aussie papers, huh? Must be a slow newsday down under... ;)

• Members

Wow...it made the Aussie papers, huh? Must be a slow newsday down under...

Guinness World Records 2008 entry, since 2007 is already in print. :) The Canadians are going to try to beat the mark achieved by the Americans prior to the 2008 Guinness World Records going into print so that they can stay on top. Does it work like that??? I'm curious....

Archived