Hundreds play "Smoke On the Water" (was Tedster here?)

• Members

Article

Kansas City - More than 1680 guitar players turned out, tuned up and took part in what organisers say was a world record rendition of Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" - a song that was the first many of them ever learned.

Some came from as far away as California and Germany on Sunday to take part in a Kansas City radio station's effort to break a Guinness world record for the most people playing the same song simultaneously. The record had been 1,323 people playing the same song in Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1994.

"It was cool to see little kids playing, people who had been playing for their whole lives, like older people, and then I'm sure there were people like me who just picked up the song a couple days before," said Autumn McPherson, of Winfield, a senior at the University of Kansas.

Preliminary numbers show 1683 people played the popular early '70s guitar riff on Sunday at CommunityAmerica Ballpark.

"I thought it was going to be kind of cheesy," said Hannah Koch, of Prairie Village, who came clad in an elf costume. "But after I got here, I got caught up in the excitement of it."

Tanna Guthrie, a morning show host for KYYS (99.7 FM), came up with the idea for the record attempt. She said her station will send participant sign-up lists, photos, videos and copies of media coverage to Guinness seeking official recognition of a record.

Guthrie said she chose "Smoke on the Water," a track off Deep Purple's "Machine Head" album, because it's one of the first songs many guitarists learn.

"You never know if you can pull something like this off," she said.

One of the participants, John Cardona of Hanford, California, said he brought felt-tip pens so he could get others to sign his guitar.

"It was the guitar I learned on," the 41-year-old said. "It was very dispensable on the way here, but very valuable to me now." - Sapa-AP

• Moderators

"I thought it was going to be kind of cheesy," said Hannah Koch, of Prairie Village, who came clad in an elf costume. "But after I got here, I got caught up in the excitement of it."

I'm curious if that elf costume was to counteract the anticipated cheesyness... :)

• Members

That is beyond cool. The thought of all of those old hippies and veteran rockers sharing a riff with the next generation of musos is heartwarming to say the least. That is trancending boundaries on a grand scale and long may it continue.

• Members

I saw a picture of that in the paper this morning of all these people holding electric guitars but I didn't see any amps or lines comming out of their guitars. How were they amplified? Wireless to some central local or was it the sound of all those unplugged guitars together?

Steve

• Members

Raymar...

About half of the nearly 1700 people there had electrics, half acoustics. Of the electric players...about half of those had little battery amps, Marshall mini-stacks, Dano Honeytones...that sort of thing. There were no big amps unless they were battery powered.

• Members

LOL did they also set the record for people gagging. Smoke on the water was the most butchered song of the 60s .....If a band did that one ,, the odds of them sucking was like in the 90 percential range. rat

• Members

You'd actually be surprised at how {censored}ing cool it sounded to hear 1700 guitars play even a dopey song like that simultaneously. It was kinda like a total eclipse...a sound I'll never hear again.

And that was actually the very reason they picked that song...because it's just a riff everyone knows...even if you don't want to admit it, you know it too... ;)

• Members

Gee whiz, they probably didn't even play it right. It's parallel fourths, isn't it?--power chords in second inversion essentially. At least someone told me that once. I haven't put a lot of time into that riff since fifth grade, but it--along with Jumping Jack Flash, which I'm positive I wasn't playing right either--was one of my first riffs. 'Course, Smoke on the Water was a current hit when I learned it. Jumping Jack Flash and Born on he Bayou not so much.

If I had 1700 guitars to lavish on Smoke on the Water, I swear I'd have at least 500 of them playing the pedal note...

• Members

Oh.

I thought it was gonna be
Rach 3
(Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #3) or
Pictures at an Exhibition
by Mussorgsky.

Naw...they'll do that for the "Keith Emerson Wannabe" keyboard record extravaganza...

Mag...I believe you're correct about the original Blackmore version...which is the way KY had it tabbed out. And, if you REALLY want to get uh...picky...you must shed your pick and play it with the thumb and first or middle finger.

But...Steve Morse (Purple's current guitar dude) just grabs the barre chords.

• Members

While they were all together too bad they didnt get into Satisfaction or Jumpin Jack or Sunshine of Your Love. Those we my first riffs.

I can just imagine what it sounded like as 1700 guitarists tryied to simultaneously tune-up prior to the event. Not pretty.

• Members

Smoke on the water was the most butchered song of the 60s .....If a band did that one ,, the odds of them sucking was like in the 90 percential range. rat

Considering that Deep Purple released it in '72, anyone butchering it in the '60s was actually pretty far ahead of the curve! ;)

Archived