live 6 and performance

• Members

Craig:

I understand you use live 6 as a performance tool for a 1 man band kind of thing.....I am considering that as something to try also. Re: this I have several ?'s.

1-For $$ reasons I have also wondered about the roland sp 404 sampler to playback loops and drum lines. I know Live would be much more flexible and feature laden, but is the investment in Live a much better deal?

2-I know the pc v mac debate is an ongoing one...BUT for performance NOT DAW reasons, would a laptop pc work for this application? easier to get and less expensive. I have logic express on a G5 iMac for DAW.

3-Is live 6 vista compatible? Any problems?

Thanks......

MattK

• Members

1-For $$ reasons I have also wondered about the roland sp 404 sampler to playback loops and drum lines. I know Live would be much more flexible and feature laden, but is the investment in Live a much better deal?

2-I know the pc v mac debate is an ongoing one...BUT for performance NOT DAW reasons, would a laptop pc work for this application? easier to get and less expensive. I have logic express on a G5 iMac for DAW.

3-Is live 6 vista compatible? Any problems?

1 - You're dealing with entirely different methods. I find Live to be far more flexible than hardware, but as you're dealing with a laptop, there's a built-in "nervousness factor."

2 - I use a PC laptop with Live. Just make sure you get as much RAM as possible, and convert clips into RAM clips instead of trying to stream everything from a hard drive.

3 - I don't know. But in general, many people don't recommend Vista just yet for musical applications.

Archived