My girlfriend is a rock star?

• Members

So my girlfriend has never played guitar before. She played violin in school so knows the concept of a stringed instrument.

She picks up my guitar and within an hour is figuring out songs. I mean she started playing the beginning notes to Paint it Black because she heard a note on the guitar that made her think of it. Now its one thing to play the melody of song in any key, but every song she played was in the exact key of the original song. :eek: I don't know, I just thought this was pretty interesting and impressive considering most other people I know can't even clap along with a song.

I'm jealous.

• Members

You really want to see someone learn quickly, use New Standard tuning and hand the guitar to a cellist. Your girlfriend understands the fret structure of stringed instruments, and I am guessing that she reads, therefore her hands know where to go. She is simply transferring her knowledge to different positions on the guitar, and then using her ears to input the information.

• Members

Back in the day when my band had a cellist the cellist also played guitar and bass on occasion. Same skillsets it seems. Same deal with my first band, guitarist failed to turn up, so the singer (who'd played piano for 8 years) just picks up my guitar and plays a song on it he'd composed on piano (it was pretty simple but still). A good ear goes a long way it seems.

• Members

Ears are not all in this case. Don't discount her ability to play a string instrument. She has the left hand chops of a guitar highly tuned. The fingerboard of a violin is whole lot smaller than the fretboard of a guitar. Violins normally have great dexterity in the left hand. Her ears are also working well as the violin is hard to play in tune. In the hands of the wrong person it quickly sounds like a cat in heat. You ought to listen to room full of first year students. It messes with your head. Her ability does not surprise me. I actually think it is great. Nothing beats a hot girlfriend who can play too. I am assuming you think she is hot.

Archived