where can i get samples, of genuine professional quality?

ryan7585

• Members

i mean GOOD. like, pristine and full of flavor. punchy. even chimey, as the case may be.

i listen to professionally produced electronic stuff, and damn. that stuff just sounds so spectacular! are they recording their samples themselves or am i just apparently inable to find such good stuff?

or is it just a good mastering job, and i've yet to master that art?

just seems like all my samples are so bland, and lacking in real punch or resonance. it sounds... fake. hacky.

we're coming up with some awesome material here! i really think it could go somewhere if we can get it to sound like real music and not just some stupid fun little project.

• Members

i mean GOOD. like, pristine and full of flavor. punchy. even chimey, as the case may be.

i listen to professionally produced electronic stuff, and damn. that stuff just sounds so spectacular! are they recording their samples themselves or am i just apparently inable to find such good stuff?

or is it just a good mastering job, and i've yet to master that art?

just seems like all my samples are so bland, and lacking in real punch or resonance. it sounds... fake. hacky.

we're coming up with some awesome material here! i really think it could go somewhere if we can get it to sound like real music and not just some stupid fun little project.

Both the samples and the production/craftsmanship make a huge impact on the final results.

In order to make suggestions about just the sample, we need particulars about the samples. What category of samples are you taking about? For instance:

1) Drums, Guitars, Basses, Keys (i.e., rhythm section)

2) Orchestra

3) World

• Members

Do the samples sound great before you put them in the song?

it depends. usually theyre just ok. im pretty much just using the stock reason library, and the presets for ableton live that come with the program.

• Members

yeah. that's true, too. i've tried that and it does help, but it's kinda hard to customize your hit sounds when using Reason or Ableton Live.. just cause you can't add effects to the individual drums

In Reason you can route each drumsound from the drummachine through an external device no problem

• Members

pretty much just drums and percussion. everything else, i get to sound pretty good. though i have a little bit of a hard time mastering for other speakers, but thats a different issue.

For just drums, it depends whether you want to program/sequence them yourself, or use loops, or a combination of those 2 techniques.

Programming/Sequencing them yourself

If you have the money, I'd suggest checking out Battery 3. It comes with a huge drum sample library and lots of tools to modify the samples.

Additionally, Craig Anderton has written some great articles on drum programming.

Loops

If you are using rex2 files in Reason DrRex, make sure to output the MIDI from Reason and import into your DAW. This way, you can rearrange the beats to your liking. Plus, then you can add individual hits to spice up and create fills.

Alternately, you could try some loops of real drummers. That is obviously less flexible, but can sound much better. One program you might be interested in is Drumcore.

• Members

For just drums, it depends whether you want to program/sequence them yourself, or use loops, or a combination of those 2 techniques.

Programming/Sequencing them yourself

If you have the money, I'd suggest checking out
Battery 3
. It comes with a huge drum sample library and lots of tools to modify the samples.

Additionally, Craig Anderton has written some great articles on drum programming.

Loops

If you are using rex2 files in Reason DrRex, make sure to output the MIDI from Reason and import into your DAW. This way, you can rearrange the beats to your liking. Plus, then you can add individual hits to spice up and create fills.

Alternately, you could try some loops of real drummers. That is obviously less flexible, but can sound much better. One program you might be interested in is
Drumcore

well i usually sequence myself but i was thinking about getting into using some loops in combination with that. thanks a lot for the tips :thu::)

• Members

well i usually sequence myself but i was thinking about getting into using some loops in combination with that. thanks a lot for the tips
:thu::)

If you are using Redrum to sequence, you will benefit greatly from reading Craig's articles on drum programming. The issue with Redrum is that unless you edit the sequence, what you end up with is drums that are 100% quantized and only have 3 velocity levels. You can edit them in the Reason sequencer, or you can output the MIDI and edit in a DAW app.

• Members

If you are using Redrum to sequence, you will benefit greatly from reading Craig's articles on drum programming. The issue with Redrum is that unless you edit the sequence, what you end up with is drums that are 100% quantized and only have 3 velocity levels. You can edit them in the Reason sequencer, or you can output the MIDI and edit in a DAW app.

definitely. what i always do is make the beat with the machine while it's looping, for a base rhythm.. then i transfer that over to the sequencer and copy it a bunch of times, then edit it to sound more natural, add little accent hits and fills, and to flow with the changes of the song.

i can't get rewire to work though. damn computer.

and it's always crackling. i think i have a grounding issue.

• Members

Well, you could hire a genuine professional to record them for you...

Or just record them yourself. Just because it's home-made doesn't mean it's inferior.... It all depends on the person, and their attention to detail. Good gear helps, too.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

You might want to check out Producer Loops, P5 Audio, Big Fish Audio, Prime Loops, etc. etc....there are many companies that make some FANTASTIC sounding loops without any processing (IMHO, anyways) that are 44.1 stereo and 100% royalty free and cover all types of genres and styles and come in just about every format, i.e. .wav, .aiff, .rex2, apple loops, etc etc.....manty of them also come in "construction kits", i.e. a folder with 12 or so loops that are all key and tempo matched, one loop being the bass drum, one bing the snare, one being that hi hatss, one bing the bassline, one being a synthline, one being another synthline, etc. etc. with variations of each...

I agree though that mixing them and layering them and depending on what sound you're going for, various compression, EQ, reverb, etc. etc. can make them sound even better....

Archived