What do you all know about minimizing dust ?

• Members

Yes - dust is a problem in studios - it usually comes from having insulation in the ceilings. I avoid this problem by lining all my ceilings with plastic sheeting. The sound still travels through the plastic and is absorbed but the dust is kept away from your gear.

cheers

john

• Members

I like to think that a good, thick Mrs Havisham-worthy layer of dust, in addition to its protective qualities, also acts as a form of acoustic treatment.

She was one messy old b!tc#, wasn't she! Great Dickens reference.

I recently bought an ostrich feather duster from Home Depot for the studio. I read about it in a thread about best

Of course it doesn't really get rid of dust, just kind of redistributes it.

• Members

When I do break down and dust, I use one of those troll doll fright wig type synthetic duster things. It actually does a pretty good job of collecting the dust, not just stirring it up. I'd been using feather dusters for a while but one of my cats developed a passion for them and would attack it if I left it lying accessible to him. I got the synthetic thing to stymie that and it turned out, I think, to work better. And it seems a little more up to the level of the Havisham-type dust situation I have going here. ;)

• Members

Ahh, yes: Dickens! As an English major, your references make me feel at home!

I have the Honeywell HEPA filter, which is sort of shaped like a fat cylinder. In addition to helping me breathe better, it really does cut down on the dust, though I still have to use the Swiffer once every week or so. Also, if you're concerned about static around your computer (Bang! Instant file delete!) use a fabric softener sheet that's already been through the dryer. Those work very well.

• Members

I allways thought that every piece of gear that has dust on it just hasn't been used enough,....

There is no dust in my studio,.. I use everything everyday,..when something gathers dust,..it is of no use to me.

• Members

Ahh, yes: Dickens! As an English major, your references make me feel at home!

I have the Honeywell HEPA filter, which is sort of shaped like a fat cylinder. In addition to helping me breathe better, it really does cut down on the dust, though I still have to use the Swiffer once every week or so. Also, if you're concerned about static around your computer (Bang! Instant file delete!) use a fabric softener sheet that's already been through the dryer. Those work very well.

If Miss Havisham (I didn't REALLY call her Mrs above did I?!? Talk about missing the point... the uneaten wedding cake, the gown... geez :eek: -- and THAT on top of looking up the spelling!!! Where it clearly says "Miss" on top of everything. More coffee. Have it sent to yesterday)...

... If Miss Havisham had had a HEPA filter instead of one of those crappy Sharper Image things she might still be alive today.

Of course, she'd be about 210 years old, I guess...

My mom went through a phase where her friends convinced her she had to have an electrostatic air cleaner and asked me to research the field.

What I found was that big, noisy HEPA filters do work and electrostatic cleaners are far, far less effective and many produce ozone, which is toxic.

• Members

Ah, Weasel Dust. I miss frank Zappa...But thanks to this thread I need to do what I've been postponing and dreading: tearing apart my small studio and cleaning and dusting and hopefully improving ergonomics too...I have a Honeywell HEPA unit, need to replace the filter. Does anyone have any experience with the newer style of HEPA that is washable? Replacing the filter is 50% the cost of an entire new unit...Is it good to keep the gear covered after all the dustin' and cleanin' ?

Archived