Loop Libraries

• Members

It depends on what kind of music you want to do, as there's a fair amount of specialization among loops.

http://www.bigfishaudio.com has a huge number of loop CDs, with audio examples. They mostly distribute, so quality ranges from good B-level stuff to excellent. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com has a wide variety of loop CDs, with excellent quality control on the acidization...although that doesn't matter with Live and ReCycle, as neither recognizes acidized files.

M-Audio ProSessions sample CDs (http://www.m-audio.com) also cover a lot of bases, the earlier volumes have incredible quality control, the more recent ones are still good but the acidization is lacking sometimes. Here you'll find my Most Excellent "AdrenaLinn Guitars" and "Turbulent Filth Monsters" sample CDs.

For rock drums, it's really hard to beat http://www.discretedrums.com. Their Series 1 set is my go to library for drum parts, they're excellent. There's a Pro Review on their Heavy Mental set with some audio examples.

Also, http://www.soundsonline.com covers all the East West sample CDs, which include loops but are oriented a lot toward virtual instruments and sampled instruments; many of these have loops.

I'm sure plenty of others are slipping my mind right now but I'll add 'em as I think of them.

• Members

One thing I should mention is that a lot of Big Fish sample CDs have REX, WAV, and Apple Loops formats. But just because it says "REX" doesn't mean it was edited with care...it's just as hard, and sometimes even harder, to edit REX files as Acidized ones. But as you have ReCycle, you can tweak ones that are messed up.

My sound reviews in EQ often mention the quality of REX/Acidization editing.

• Members

My Favorite drum loops are the Pro Drum Works series from Smartloops. The volume two in particular for its fine series of shuffle beats. The only thing missing is brushes. They have released a brush sample set compatible with many samplers and a small series of brush loops are free on their site.

I also have used some of the Sony loops and I like them pretty well too. One of the thing I love about Live is that it's so easy to make your own loops with the included instruments. I have used the Smartloops sample sets in Impulse with good results.

• Members

Craig,

Is there a site where I can go to learn more about this subject? I`m very new to all this. I downloaded RECYCLE and I`m learning the program, same goes for LIVE so I still have to buy both of them still. However, is it possible to just use LIVE? I would prefer to use one program for all of this stuff. I think RECYCLE comes in handy if I want to import loops into REASON, correct?

Also, what is acidization?

I`m very new to all this so...

Thanks,

EB

• Members

Craig,

Is there a site where I can go to learn more about this subject? I`m very new to all this. I downloaded RECYCLE and I`m learning the program, same goes for LIVE so I still have to buy both of them still. However, is it possible to just use LIVE? I would prefer to use one program for all of this stuff. I think RECYCLE comes in handy if I want to import loops into REASON, correct?

Also, what is acidization?

I`m very new to all this so...

Thanks,

EB

Live can't use rex files, so if you get something with rex files, you'll either need to use Recycle to output as an aiff or wav, or else slave a Reason DrRex or other rex player into Live via rewire.

Live also doesn't use the acidized info in an acidized wav file, so if you get acidized wav files, you will have to use Live's warp engine to stretch/compress them in time. Similarly to rex, you could slave some other player to Live via rewire that understands the acidized info.

• Members

IMHO, FLStudio handles Rex files better than any other sequencer I've tried,

including Reason......

In what way? A REX File is a REX File, regardless of what plays it back...as long as the slices are triggered at the right times, that's about all there is to it...and the embedded MIDI sequence makes sure the triggers happen at the right time. Unless the timing is REALLY bad...

• Members

In what way? A REX File is a REX File, regardless of what plays it back...as long as the slices are triggered at the right times, that's about all there is to it...and the embedded MIDI sequence makes sure the triggers happen at the right time. Unless the timing is REALLY bad...

Fruity Slicer

You can move the slices around in the slicer.

You can have multiple slices on the same beat in the loop

each with their own pan, velocity, release, filter, resonance,

or pitch

You can even have 2 ( or more ) instances of the same slice

on the same beat in the loop with different parameters.

(pan, velocity, release, filter, resonance, & pitch)

Any slice, anywhere in the loop can be radically altered

with the above parameters...

• 5 years later...
  • Members

You might want to check out Producer Loops, P5 Audio, Big Fish Audio, Prime Loops, etc. etc....there are many companies that make some FANTASTIC sounding loops without any processing (IMHO, anyways) that are 44.1 stereo and 100% royalty free and cover all types of genres and styles and come in just about every format, i.e. .wav, .aiff, .rex2, apple loops, etc etc.....manty of them also come in "construction kits", i.e. a folder with 12 or so loops that are all key and tempo matched, one loop being the bass drum, one bing the snare, one being that hi hatss, one bing the bassline, one being a synthline, one being another synthline, etc. etc. with variations of each...

I agree though that mixing them and layering them and depending on what sound you're going for, various compression, EQ, reverb, etc. etc. can make them sound even better....

• Members

MarkZ,

Have not considered Stylus but will look now that you mentioned it. As long as its MAC compatible, I`m game!

EB

Yes. I would agree that if it's your first jump into using drum loops, Stylus is a great place to start. It's been out for a while, but there is a HUGE library of very useful sounds and the tempo automatically syncs to your session tempo. There are also third party sounds.

Steve

Archived