Heres Why I Like Sweetwater

• Members

Just to balance the negativity...

To me the one thing lacking today in most businesses is great customer service. Since when is calling the customer to make sure everything is cool a bad idea? Why are people disappointed that someone actually cares about their purchases? I don`t get it. Short story about Sweetwater...

About 5 years ago, I was hosting a major session for a Spanish artist. We had lots of crazy editing to do and we were on a tight deadline. We had 12 stereo tracks to edit, mix and master and my MOTU MTP AV decides to die 3 days before the session. With the 4th of July just days away, I was already going to lose a day with the carrier. I call Sweetwater, tell them my issue and they FED EX overnight a brand new MTP AV in less than 24 hours. They charge me nothing except the shipping charges which was about $60, I get a brand new unit and they tell me to return the old dead one when I get the chance.

The unit arrives the next morning (July 3), I swap it with the old dead one and I`m all set up for my session on July 5.

So Sweetwater came through for me big time for one of my biggest sessions. No questions asked, they just delivered. So this is not about kissing up, its about reminding us what great customer service is and why we still need it!

Peace,

EB

• Members

I like Sweetwater for three reasons:

1. Mitch Gallagher works there and he's a cool guy.

2. Chuck Surack has always supported and participated in SSS, even when it was bought by a competitor (although admittedly, the people at MF have a high opinion of Chuck so it's not exactly like they're enemies).

3. I've given some seminars there and they always treated me right.

I've purchased things from several companies online, but never from Sweetwater so I don't know about the "sales engineer" experience. The ones that were the fastest in terms of dealing with an order were Newegg.com, a place in Atlanta that sells specialized light bulbs (I forget the name), and (I realize this looks suspect, but what can I say?) Musicians Friend.

• Members

One of the Sales Engineers sent me some "spam" one day and I must have been having a bad day, but Chuck sent me an email and apologized and assured me he ripped the whole staff over it. ;) Seriously.

This isn't some typical heartless corporation here. They honestly want to be your friend because they appreciate your business. I applaud their attitude and business ethics.

• Members

What I don't like about Sweetwater:

A couple years ago I was putting together some wood racks, and ordered the rails from SW. When they showed up, I took out the first rail in the boxl, measured it up, and sent out the order to a local shop to build the carcasses. When they were done I went to install the rails, and it turns out that the rail I used was 1/2" short of spec(and the remaining rails)! The other 5 were the right length. That meant completely rebuilding the 3 cases. Costly error for me by SW. Bad qc.

What I like about Sweetwater:

They immediately sent me the right rail plus a couple of extras. Very apologetic and no questions asked.

One other issue. You have to verify that they have stuff in stock, even if the website says they do. I've had problems with long lag times because of this.

Otherwise, I agree it's a good place. My(assigned :D ) rep calls regularly and also sends e-mails in on a regular basis. Nice touch. Free shipping and great prices definately a plus. Oh, and the free candy!!

Best, Paul

• Members

I didn't think it would take very long for this to morph into another "Why I hate Sweetwater" thread.

:D :D . Just to get the thread restarted, I also like not paying the 7% NJ sales tax, as SW is not physically represented in this state. Sam Ash, American Musical, Guitar Center and a few others are. That can add up.

Best, Paul

• Members

Good, a Sweetwater representative will be calling you soon to ask if you need anything else.

Probably during dinner.

:thu:

Amen. Swampwater *drove* me (and my business) away long ago with their incessant calling, even after I very specifically notified both my "sales engineer" and the company multiple times that I strongly preferred them not to do so. My requests were totally and arrogantly ignored.

That's not customer service by any definition, IMO. That's nothing less than customer harassment and outright spamming. :evil:

All hail the Almighty dollar, eh Swampwater? :rolleyes: Not my dollar(s), pals...

Rick

• Members

Wow. Can't say I blame you for being pissed. Fortunately I haven't had that problem, not with SW anyway. I have however been trying to get rid of TigerDirect for years now ;) . In NJ, we have something called a "Do Not Call' list. Don't know whether it's national, but there's a state site that can be used. Just add your phone number(s) to it, and the next time an unwanted retailer calls, tell him you're on that list. IIRC, it's a $1000 fine if they do repeat and you turn them in. Works like a charm.

Best, Paul

• Members

Well, I'll jump in with a little Sweetwater story. I needed a minidisk player because a client I had done a TON of audio restoration work for had a pile of lectures on the minidisk format. I looked all around and Sweetwater had the right machine for the the right price. I ordered it and got an email a day later saying it was discontinued. I called my guy (Brandon) and he says " I have the same minidisk player in my own studio setup. I'm not using anymore, and I'll sell it to you for $75. I'll get it in the post right away and you can pay me later....."

He saved the day....

Take it for what it's worth.

• Members

:thu:

Amen. Swampwater *drove* me (and my business) away long ago with their incessant calling, even
after
I very specifically notified both my
"sales engineer" and the company multiple times that I strongly preferred them not to do so. My requests were totally and arrogantly ignored.

That's not customer service by any definition, IMO. That's nothing less than customer harassment and outright spamming.
:evil:

All hail the Almighty dollar, eh Swampwater?
:rolleyes:
Not my dollar(s), pals...

Rick

I just don't see it. I'm no Sweetwater devotee. Most of the time I just default to MF. Old habits and all. And I'm informed and don't really need all this service or personal attention.

What I do know, is Chuck responded to my concerns with these practices first hand and immediately. Maybe I'm special. I'd be willing to wager that this thread has taken a harsh enough tone that he will want to address these issues. He may have and I just didn't make it past this post. ;)

Most of the charges in these threads are unsubstantiated, anyway. :rolleyes:

[twilight zone]

When did these "infractions" take place? Did you document them? Did you address somebody in a civilized manner? If not, common business practice is to not engage a overly hostile customer. The no-win customer.

Anybody in retail has seen them. I tend to be one of them, unless by some miracle that will signal the third coming they actually serve me freshly cooked food. :mad: They see me coming and say "Hey Bob, get the lunch waste out of the cooler and nuke a Mac. I'll drop the fries again." I can just see it now.

Yeah, I got a job in restaurant management. They drove me to it. Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. I said "show me the money", and they did. :eek:

Plus, I work hard. And I'm usually the target at work, so it's just natural I should be in management. They even misspelled my name tag, I'm the Shift Manger". :D

[/twilight zone]

I bet if you send Chuck an email, he will make sure you are treated exactly the way you wish to be treated as a customer. The problem isn't Sweetwater.

It's the sales rep.

:blah: Thanks for letting me share that with the group. I feel much better now. I'll go take my meds.

• Members

Ernest, Craig, Paully and others,

Thanks for your kind words.

Rick, I am sorry that we "drove" you away. As you can imagine that would not be in our best interest. I have no idea why the calls continued. They absolutely should not have. Again, I apologize. I assume the calls have stopped now? I would check into our system, but you don't post by your real name so I have no idea who you are.

One of the best things about my company is that I have a lot of great employees...and one of the worst things about my company is that I have a lot of employees. I wish they were all perfect..they are not..they are all human.

About the phone calls and the personal relationships...It works really well for most of our customers. I personally started Sweetwater not that long ago with a simple philosophy to treat customers the way I wanted to be treated. I didn't to do this because it was a good business idea or philosophy.... I did it because it is what I personally believe in. You would be amazed to know how many raving emails, phone calls and letters we get every day thanking us for the way we do business, so I believe it is working. By the way, many of the phone calls we make are to truly see if everything is working all right, to get a correct credit card number, to tell a customer that there is a better, newer version coming, etc. My guys do this because they really care and they want to do right by the customer. I also understand the way we do business is not for everyone and that is fine, but honestly most people like the way we do it.

With all of that being said, if you don't want a phone call or an email or any other contact with us, please just tell us so. The last thing we want to do is annoy customers. If you ever have any issue please contact the salesperson directly or always feel free to ask for their supervisor.. If we don't know about it we can't solve a problem.

Finally, as I have said many times in the past, please feel free to call me directly if you have an issue (or a complement!). The phone number below rings on my desk by day and "hunts" me down on my cell phone and my home 24 hours a day. (I can't hide ) I wouldn't offer it, if I didn't really care.

Thanks all,

Chuck Surack

Sweetwater

800 222 4700 x1000

Chuck_Surack@sweetwater.com

• Members

This is extremely commonplace, especially with 'big ticket' items such as a car. The salesman always calls after the sale to abate any post-purchase sticker shock and to calm you down. I appreciate it. Usually it's not a 'good guy' thing, it's corporate policy. The good ones always do it.

Best, Paul

• Members

Recenty received a Candy Cola American Strat from Sweetwater, and they were great to deal with. I emailed a question to my rep, but unknown to me, he was off. One of the other reps answered my question within a few hours of me sending it. See if that happens with other companies you deal with. My rep sent a followup by email (which I need to respond to :o ). Just an awesome experience for me, and I'll definately go back.

Compare that to another, unnamed, company that keeps sending me automated emails on order status that are totally incorrect according to their web site and the numerous different people I talk to on the phone. Who's right? I don't know, but I'm willing to bet I wouldn't get that kind of run-around at SW.

• Members

And mic clips?

:freak:

You'd be surprised how often the customer finds out he has ordered the wrong clip or doesn't realize that he needs to remove the European insert to fit a US standard 5/8 27 thread or that now he needs a new mic stand, too. I am NOT joking!

Chuck

• Members

Recenty received a Candy Cola American Strat from Sweetwater, and they were great to deal with. I emailed a question to my rep, but unknown to me, he was off. One of the other reps answered my question within a few hours of me sending it. See if that happens with other companies you deal with. My rep sent a followup by email (which I need to respond to
:o
). Just an awesome experience for me, and I'll definately go back.

Compare that to another, unnamed, company that keeps sending me automated emails on order status that are totally incorrect according to their web site and the numerous different people I talk to on the phone. Who's right? I don't know, but I'm willing to bet I wouldn't get that kind of run-around at SW.

Thanks PowerDude,

...and thanks for your business, too.

Chuck

Archived