Saw Wierd Al last night . . .

shniggens

• Members

Wasn't planning on it. A friend of ours is a fashion designer, and was doing wardrobe work for the Yank. She got a batch of front row tickets, and offered a few to my wife and I. I'm not one to turn down front row tickets to any show. Hell, I'd go see Air Supply if I had front row tickets. Well, maybe not . . . .

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised. Very cool show. Nice combination of music and comedy. Lots of props - a troup of dancing stormtroopers, Segway bafoonary. Endless costume changes - Nirvana threads, the fat Michael Jackson costume from the 80's, Amish band, etc.

The band was fantastic, and replicated all the covers to the T. They maintained a hysterical pose of seriousness and dedication, even during the most outreagous moments.

The show wasn't even close to being sold out, and the audience was by far the geekiest bunch of folks I've ever had the joy to attend a music venue with before. About as hygienically challenged as the finest jam band crowd, too.

Best free show I've been to in awhile. Haven't laughed so hard since the last batch of fungus I consumed. :D

• Members

Hell, I'd go see Air Supply if I had front row tickets. Well, maybe not . . . .

:thu::D:D

I would have paid to see him! I wont pay to see Rush, Air Supply, and most others, except for McCartney, Stones, Billy Joel and the DC5, ok Van Halen too... maybe Sinatra, oh, wait, he's gone, ok Nancy...

Sounds like you had fun, which, of course, is priceless!

• Members

I saw him live, I believe around '99 or '00, when he came to my town. I don't remember much about it, probably because I'd just seen one of his concerts on TV. It was basically the same as on TV, although there were a few extra bits thrown in.

My seat (if I even had one) was way in the back, and my view was limited. So it wasn't the best concert I've ever been to.

One thing about Weird Al is he's probably the best around at what he does. He's a goofball, yes, but he's also an very under-rated musician and songwriter. He doesn't try to be edgy or controversial, yet still manages to be hilarious at times. His musical and comedic instinct are razor sharp, yet he doesn't try to be edgy or controversial. He just knows what's funny.

Sometimes you don't always want to find some kind of deep meaning in music; sometimes you'd just rather sit back, laugh, and be entertained. And ff he comes around here again, I definitely want to go see him. Maybe I'll get better seats this time.

• Members

I He doesn't try to be edgy or controversial, yet still manages to be hilarious at times. His musical and comedic instinct are razor sharp, yet he doesn't try to be edgy or controversial. He just knows what's funny.

Sometimes you don't always want to find some kind of deep meaning in music; sometimes you'd just rather sit back, laugh, and be entertained. And ff he comes around here again, I definitely want to go see him. Maybe I'll get better seats this time.

Actually, he kinda does make some interesting and unique commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYokLWfqbaU&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw&mode=related&search=

Isn't that the point of the jester? He can say things other people couldn't get away with?

• Members

In the early 90's I'd just hired a new singer. We took my box truck up to Lexington to move her back to my home town. After loading her stuff we went to Wendy's for lunch. I used to be skinny and had the curly hair left over from the 80's I expect. Since I wasn't on a gig I had glasses on cause the contacts hurt the eyes ever so often.

This little kid came up to me just shaking like he was standing in front of God and asked for my autograph. I said; 'Who do you think I am?' He said Weird Al and when I told him I wasn't, he asked if I'd please just sign it cause his friends were over there.... and pointed to the corner of the room. So I signed 'Weird Al' and sent a little kid away happy.

It was pretty weird but man did I get dogged out about that for years.

Just to examine human nature, in the mid 70's I looked like James Taylor (when he had hair) and then George Harrison. So by the late 80's/ early 90's I looked like Weird Al.

I guess I take it all as a compliment.

• Members

This little kid came up to me just shaking like he was standing in front of God and asked for my autograph. I said; 'Who do you think I am?' He said Weird Al and when I told him I wasn't, he asked if I'd please just sign it cause his friends were over there.... and pointed to the corner of the room. So I signed 'Weird Al' and sent a little kid away happy.

Cool story. :thu:

I liked the way you avoided spelling his last name. ;)

The girl that gave us tickets also offered us backstage passes, but my wife and i declined. The performance was enough for us.

• Members

Actually, he kinda does make some interesting and unique commentary.

Isn't that the point of the jester? He can say things other people couldn't get away with?

I'm familiar with both those songs, but how are they at all controversial? Sounds pretty tame to me. No doubt it's funny though. Which was my original point.

Archived