I saw The New Cars the other day

Super 8

• Members

They put on a fine show. I gotta say, if you're trying to resurrect a one-time popular band, this is the way to do it.

Elliot Easton, I feel was always an underrated guitarist, and a good singer.

I always found Greg Hawkes synth work to be interesting and distinctive.

Add to that, Prairie Prince on drums from The Tubes. He's a fine drummer. Very solid.

Kasim Sulton, who is a fine bass player and an awesome singer, although I didn't get to hear him sing.

Todd Rundgren is more than a suitable replacement for Ric Ocasek. I mean, I've nothing against Ric, but Ric isn't Todd. Todd is lively, a good showman, great singer, great guitarist, great everything.

The set list was fairly predictable. All of the Cars songs you remember, plus some of Rundgren's solo stuff. What I found cool though is that -at least from what I heard from Rungren - this review is just the beginning. They want to start here, but they want to take it further and do more stuff together.

Pretty cool. :thu:

• Moderators

But did they have that "New Cars Smell?"

FUNNY!!!

I haven't actually laughed out loud at a post in a while. Funny.

I love the idea of Prarie Prince on drums. I've seen him 5 times or so throughout the years and the man kicks serious ass. Flamboyant when it's right, and solid and within context when that's the right thing. Awesome drummer. Check out XTC's "The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul" from Skylarking (Todd produced now that I think of it) for some very cool Prarie Prince tub work.

• Members

After a Tubes concert, I had Fee Waybill's sweat soaked towel for a day or two - thought I was going to sell it, but that was long before eBay and having it sitting in my house grossed me out, so I chucked it.

I guess it had that 'Old Tubes' smell - not quite what you were looking for.

• Members

Elliot Easton is an extremely underrated guitarist.

+1. The solo on "Touch and Go" might be the best thing on "Panorama".

1978 was a great year for albums with head-turning guitarists:

- "The Cars"

- "Outlandos d'Amour"

And less than 2 years later:

- "The Pretenders"

Archived