Making music videos

kurdy

• Members

I know most of us here have a lot of experience with audio, and probably aren't as well versed in video, but I assume some of the more technologically-minded of us here have dabbled in a wide variety of media.

I've been having a lot of fun discovering many of the cool features of Windows Movie Maker. I've started making little videos of myself performing songs at home, and editing them via the software, and figuring out how to add effects and titles, transitions and all that cool stuff. It's a lot of fun. You can also add audio if you want, but I haven't gotten that far yet. (If this technology had been available when I was a kid, I would've gone nuts. I used to love making home movies with my dad's video camera. It was quite a hobby of mine. Guess I haven't changed much)

I've been entertaining the idea of doing a "real" music video--meaning lip syncing to a recorded track and syncing up the audio with what's happening on screen. Just to see what's possible. However, I'm not sure if Movie Maker is enough to do the job, or if there is something else that would be needed. I've googled around to maybe find more info, but surprisingly there doesn't appear to be much available. So anyone know how I would go about doing this? Syncing audio to video, I mean. :)

• Members

As a great but inexpensive step up, I highly recommend Sony Vegas Movie Studio with DVD Architect, about $80.

I've made several music videos with it; has more than enough power but is very very easy to use.

One tip I can give you for sync is to make sure your audio is 16bit/48khz (that's the video standard). Then it'll sync up with no problems.

• Members

As a great but inexpensive step up, I highly recommend Sony Vegas Movie Studio with DVD Architect, about $80.

I've made several music videos with it; has more than enough power but is very very easy to use.

One tip I can give you for sync is to make sure your audio is 16bit/48khz (that's the video standard). Then it'll sync up with no problems.

You mean, I gotta spend money?! The main reason why I use Windows Movie Maker is because it came with my computer. :)

I usually record music at 24bit/44.1khz--is there a way to convert the file to a higher bit rate, or am I stuck with what I've got?

I was thinking of lip-syncing to the track and just moving the video clips back and forth a few milliseconds in editing until they fit, but I'm not sure if that would work. Never really done this before.

• Members

Yea ... Sony Vegas Movie Studio is cool ... WAY better picture than what Windows Movie Maker produces.

Tim do you have trouble at all with Vegas freezing up???

I have to save constantly ... I've got 1 Gig RAM, maybe that's not enough???

But I LOve it.

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Well I'm way into video. The next issue of the Harmony Central Confidential newsletter (you DO subscribe, right? You can sign up on the home page) has an article on getting started with video.

Vegas Movie Studio is under a hundred bucks and worth every penny IMHO; I did all the Frankfurt videos on it (I have the "full" version of Vegas on my desktop computer). And Russ - I NEVER have freezing or other problems with Vegas, I can go for months of video editing with not so much as a hiccup. In fact, for me, Vegas is one of those programs where I have to remind myself to save just in case something else goes wrong :)

The only problem I have is with VidCap dropping frames when transferring from the camcorder and my computer is so I go to Task Manager and change the priority to Above Normal; then it works fine.

• Members

I NEVER have freezing or other problems with Vegas, I can go for months of video editing with not so much as a hiccup.

I have very few problems with Vegas too. The one problem I did have turned out to be a bug in Apple QuickTime Pro. Vegas support pointed me in the right direction, and after moving Windows' Video Acceleration slider one notch to the left all is fine now.

I've been up to my eyeballs in Vegas every day for two months now, finishing up the follow-up to my Cello Rondo video. If Craig doesn't mind I'll post a link here when it's done and online. I've learned more about Vegas these past two months than I thought possible. It's a truly fabulous and very deep program.

--Ethan

• Members

since you dont want to spend any money, i wont recomment premiere. it makes music videos SO easy... you can pull from multiple cameras on the fly all sync'd up. i have done it by hand as well shooting 8 cameras at once and while it did work, it was more difficult to edit looking through each clip to get the best shots at any particular time... the multicam works really well because you can see all of them at once. FCP on the mac does the same thing.

• Members

Craig (or anyone) I have been getting into some editing and I am looking at digital video cameras. The two that I have been checking out are the Sony DCR-SR82, and the Sony DCR-SR200.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

since you dont want to spend any money, i wont recomment premiere. it makes music videos SO easy...

OK, thanks. :)

BTW, it isn't that I'm unwilling to spend any money...it's more a matter of priorities, especially on a limited budget. As a musician, I'd rather focus on music. I really can't see myself as more than a dabbler in video making; really, I see it as just a cool, artistic new way to present the music for places like YouTube, Myspace and such. I'm not necessarily interested in using it for applications unrelated to music.

So I could get Sony Vegas or Premiere (and maybe I will eventually), or I could spend the money on a new preamp, or I could just buy that GPS navigational system for my car I've been eyeing for a while, so I won't keep worrying about getting lost. It's all about priorities, people. :)

Thanks, Craig; I'm definitely gonna sign up for that newsletter.

• Members

video is much more taxing on a computer system... so doing it right is quite an investment into hardware and software [and lots of HDD's]. its definately fun as hell. sony vegas is pretty cheap, but far less professional than other NLE's on the market... but it is a lot cheaper. then you discover the world of compositing and options become limitless really. but again, that strains a computer like nothing i have ever seen from other applications.

its a load of fun doing all of this, but i definately understand money priorites. i make money from doing video so it pays for the software VERY quickly, and the machines... but i still want a huge LCD flat screen for my HT, a hot tub for the back, and a load of other items ;) i could sell me mics and preamps and get all i want... but then i wouldnt have recording gear even though i doing track much anymore nor feel the desire to anymore. i much prefer mixing.

• Members

There's a good program out there called Muvee Autoproducer that takes a bunch of clips or full length videos and grabs parts of them to create a somewhat random compilation movie with customizable transitions. It won't lipsync them, but you can add in background music and create a pretty nice "music video" in a short amount of time with very little movie making knowledge. If you want to see an example, click on my band's website (in my sig) and you'll see a video I made on the front page.

• Members

You mean, I gotta spend
money
?! The main reason why I use Windows Movie Maker is because it came with my computer.
:)

I usually record music at 24bit/44.1khz--is there a way to convert the file to a higher bit rate, or am I stuck with what I've got?

I was thinking of lip-syncing to the track and just moving the video clips back and forth a few milliseconds in editing until they fit, but I'm not sure if that would work. Never really done this before.

Get ASIO4ALL - - it has a pretty decent resampler to convert your 44.1K audio to 48K. And it's free.

• Members

I have very few problems with Vegas too. The one problem I did have turned out to be a bug in Apple QuickTime Pro. Vegas support pointed me in the right direction, and after moving Windows' Video Acceleration slider one notch to the left all is fine now.

I've been up to my eyeballs in Vegas every day for two months now, finishing up the follow-up to my Cello Rondo video. If Craig doesn't mind I'll post a link here when it's done and online. I've learned more about Vegas these past two months than I thought possible. It's a truly fabulous and
very deep
program.

--Ethan

EGG-:thu:CELENT!! I'm looking forward to it!

• Members

I made my first 2 music videos , with only 200mhz and 400mhz computers and ULEAD MEDIASTUDIO PRO. I now have MSP 7.0. Back in 1999 and 2001 I used only an analog Samsung camcorder and then a Sony digital camcorder with firewire. I expect to do my next video with a HD camcorder. Their prices are dropping so fast.

To contrast, my daughter complains that she can't finish a video with the hardware that I gave her , but she has 3X the speed and 10X the HD capacity that I worked with on those early videos.

The bottom line is this. You can do it if you have some basic knowledge , patience, LOTS OF PATIENCE, and determination.

My videos at http://musicinit.com/pvideos.html

• Members

Craig, that is a great article. Just the info I was looking for. And it's kind of a freak coincidence; when I posted this thread, I had no idea an article on the very subject would be in the current newsletter. Maybe it's a sign. :)

I believe the computer I'd be using for this application has about 250GB, and I've already done some simple videos on it, so I'm assuming it should be enough. It appears as if Windows Movie Maker has the features necessary to perform such an operation, though I haven't tried it yet. WMM may not get me "pro-quality" results, but really, I'm not looking for that. The purpose of these videos will most likely be to post on "You Tube" or "Myspace" for fun, so it isn't like I need it to look like something on MTV (in fact, probably better that it doesn't...haha).

The bottom line is this. You can do it if you have some basic knowledge , patience, LOTS OF PATIENCE, and determination.

Well, whenever there's something I get interested in doing, the more I want to take the time to figure out how to do it right, so I wouldn't consider lack of patience to be one of my problems.

Now if anyone can just tell me where I can find a real grand piano to play in the video, I'll be set to go. :)

• Members

I agree that Vegas is a good inexpensive way to have more options and control when you edit video. The next best application is the low end Avid available for approx. $350 as a download only.

Most editing applications have the ability to convert an audio file to the format of your video project during the import audio process.

Re. video cameras-Which camera is right for you depends on what you will use it for. If you are looking for truly professional results for your band's video I recommend that you consider renting a pro camera for the shoot, rather than buying a consumer camera. Strangely, pro cameras are actually easier to use than consumer cameras because they have knobs or switches for the major functions instead of requiring that you drill down through menus to make an adjustment. Hiring a pro camera/lighting person to do the shooting can also save you many hours of editing to fix your amateurish shooting. But it all depends whether you are more interested in the process or the results.

• Members

I like Windows Movie Maker, I did the silent film on my myspace page with it:
http://www.myspace.com/justcrash0308

That's very well done! Just one question though: Does WMM allows you to reference the music while editing? 'Cause in order to use the program in the way I want, I'll need to be able to hear precisely what section of the music I'm editing the video onto. If I can do that, then I'm pretty much good to go. If not, welll, I guess I will need to begin looking into getting one of those other programs.

But at least if I ever want to do a "silent movie", it's good to know I've got the right tools for it. :)

• Moderators

That's very well done! Just one question though: Does WMM allows you to reference the music while editing? 'Cause in order to use the program in the way I want, I'll need to be able to hear precisely what section of the music I'm editing the video onto. If I can do that, then I'm pretty much good to go. If not, welll, I guess I
will
need to begin looking into getting one of those other programs.

But at least if I ever want to do a "silent movie", it's good to know I've got the right tools for it.
:)

It has a timeline you can "play" while you are inserting clips or what have you. I don't think it was designed to do that, the files get big fast, but if you were patient I think you could do what you wanted to do. I've never tried, I'm sorry I'm not more help. :(

Archived