iPod Touch / iPhone - new distribution tool

spokenward

• Members

Apple had a new product event today for the new iPod lineup.

Cnet had blogging coverage here

engadget has a better report with pretty pictures

10:58 a.m.: When you walk into a Starbucks with the iPod Touch or iPhone, a Starbucks button will pop up. You'll be able to buy whatever the featured artist is that month at Starbucks with the iPod Touch or iPhone. That's the new Wi-Fi Store.

From the "even a blind squirrel department..." (doug osborne and I should be getting our million bucks real soon now)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046886&highlight=starbucks

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466975&highlight=starbucks

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1497710&highlight=starbucks

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567541&highlight=starbucks

• Members

The new iPod is very cool. Still, at $399 for a 16 Gbyte model, it can not replace a hard drive iPod model. I don't know about the rest of you, but 16 Gbytes is nowhere near enough to hold my music collection.

One thing I really hate about the iTunes/iPod is the flat hierarchy for playlists on the iPod. You can't create subfolders in playlists on the iPod. The new album art navigation may solve this issue, but I'm not sure.

• Members

excerpted

. Still, at $399 for a 16 Gbyte model, it can not replace a hard drive iPod model. I don't know about the rest of you, but 16 Gbytes is nowhere near enough to hold my music collection.

absolutely - this is a core difference. I think that the symbolism of the iPhone / iPod Touch is about "filling" and "provisioning" and not so much about "owning" and "having".

I think they recognize a split in the market that is probably defined by age. People who like to own = old. Sell them the tethered 160GB. Let them look longingly at the unwired world until they get used to the idea.

• Members

excerpted

absolutely - this is a core difference. I think that the symbolism of the iPhone / iPod Touch is about "filling" and "provisioning" and not so much about "owning" and "having".

I think they recognize a split in the market that is probably defined by age. People who like to own = old. Sell them the tethered 160GB. Let them look longingly at the unwired world until they get used to the idea.

I see your point, but I don't agree. I love the unwired aspect of the iPod, and that is it's biggest selling point to me. I may at some point get an iPod just for the Safari browser capability because it means I could get rid of my big bulky laptop computer that I currently only use for web browsing anyways.

Nevertheless, at only 16 gbytes available, I'd be constantly having to delete music in order to keep from filling it up.

• Members

I'm planning to get the 16GB Touch. To give me some perspective about how soon I'd fill it, how much storage does 1 hr of music and 1 hr of video occupy on an iPod?

That depends on the amount and type of compression. What kind of files do you want to store on it?

• Members

After owning a 20 GB iPod, I realized I had no desire to carry my entire music collection with me.. I just wanted good playlists, and now, I wear my shuffle daily, listening to NPR/podcasts and music. the TOUCH is perfect cause it adds the video portion ( ripped movies to iPod, watch while exercising, etc.

one thing for sure is, Apple continues to knock it out of hte park as far as exciting products are concerned. The iPod announcements today made MS drop the Zune to $199...These things will be $99 by Christmas...perfect for ryour 6 year old..:)

Apple has their faults, but they continue to push the curve forward with exciting, well designed products. They make you WANT it....they invoke your inner Gollum....' I WANTS the PRECIOUS!

• Members

I have an 80gb that I keep my entire collection in. I think it would be great to get another ipod that gives me the ability to throw a couple of albums on (not unlike a cd changer), give me the internet when I'm away from a computer and need to reference something, and video capabilities to watch while I'm on the bus. It would also mean I wouldn't have to carry my 80gb and risk it breaking or anything that would result in loosing my digital library. It's embarrassing, but I'm syched for the ipod touch.

• Members

Apple has their faults, but they continue to push the curve forward with exciting, well designed products. They make you WANT it....they invoke your inner Gollum....' I WANTS the PRECIOUS!

Hmm. Well now with the new release of Logic Studio, I would unfortunately have to agree.

I WANTS the PRECIOUS!

• Members

Having just finished backing up my software music collection (16 DVDs) I realize there's a lot of stuff I probably won't ever really want to listen to (and I'm pruning it slowly but surely), due to my avaricious plundering of the old Emusic (under their old all you can DL for $15 a month plan).

My own portable is a 1 GB thumb-size player. 1 GB is fine for around town, as a rule. If I commuted, I suppose I'd want something bigger. I shake out the playlists frequently when I'm driving a lot. (I was hoping to use it on my bike but I've never found any earphones of any kind that don't create a terrible wind noise problem.)

If I was going to make the jump, I'd go with the phone. Ever since my second cell phone back around '97 or so -- which didn't even have a clock on it!!! -- at a time when I also was carrying around my first, bulky, digital cam, AND a Palm (and a few years later, a funky, early mem-based player) -- I've longed for a phone/PIM/music player/camera that made sense. And, clearly, it should browse the web using WiFi when available and use a (fast) phone based network when not. (We'll have to wait for a few of those features with the iPhone, of course.)

That said, someone was showing me their $200 Blackberry the other day and it did pretty much all that (don't know about the music, though). Still, it wasn't nearly as cool to play with as the iPhone. That is one slick interface, for sure.

Archived