Talkback via software!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Software control over traditional studio talkback functionality. This is something I'm really interested in. It comes in two parts. One is inserted in an Aux track. That aux gets sent your mic as it's input. The other part of the software gets inserted on your master. Now, when you click on the TALKBACK plugin, the mic input is enabled and goes to wherever you've routed it, to the monitor mixes obviously, and the master is dimmed by a user selectable amount (-10dB, -15dB, etc.) to prevent feedback. Simple.

I've been using a PT track and record enabling. PITA! This is great... 'except for the $95 price tag. Shouldn't this be $20 or so? Here's a blurb...

http://www.source-elements.com/Talkback/

Source-Talkback is a plug-in pair for Pro Tools 7 designed to enable talkback functionality without requiring external hardware, using a single keyboard stroke for toggle and latch. Simply place the Talkback plug-ins on your aux track before your talkback input, and on your Master fader. Hold down the '' key for toggle, or shift+ for latch. Talkback allows for an engineer to talk to talent either over Source-Connect and/or in a local booth while not getting feedback through the monitoring speakers.

• Members

I suppose you could set up a preset talkback path, and along with outputing it to an output that mixes it in with headphone feed, you could also have it duck the other headphone sources with side-chained compressors.

Depends on the DAW & how much it wants to fight to keep you from doing what you want to do, of course...

• Moderators

I'm not usually one to complain about software pricing. And I'm not "offended" by the price. I just think they might have priced themselves out of selling any. It was just a passing comment. The actual idea is so simple I don't doubt we'll see freebie VSTs doing this shortly. However, I'll probably buy before my next big project. It's such a simple and effective idea.

• Members

I find it odd that people recording in a situation requiring talkback would not have a mixer available to handle the talkback function (and headphone feeds). It seems to me that trying to do serious recording without using any mixer at all is just doing it the hard way unnecessarily.

• Moderators

I suppose you could set up a preset talkback path, and along with outputing it to an output that mixes it in with headphone feed, you could also have it duck the other headphone sources with side-chained compressors.

Depends on the DAW & how much it wants to fight to keep you from doing what you want to do, of course...

That's an interesting idea but I'm not so sure how I feel about opening a mic up like that and waiting for the compressor to dip. I think I prefer the immediate switch.

• Moderators

I find it odd that people recording in a situation requiring talkback would not have a mixer available to handle the talkback function (and headphone feeds). It seems to me that trying to do serious recording without using any mixer at all is just doing it the hard way unnecessarily.

I have a little mixer for this. But the ol' "dim the mains" function is where this idea really shines.

Archived