Do you nightclub to stay hip?

rasputin1963

• Members

How hip are you as a producer, artiste, engineer, starmaker?

Are you exceedingly interested in what the latest artistes, trends, sonorities, lyrical themes, production treatments are?

Or are you a little rusty?

Or maybe so into your own "thing" that you don't care at all what others are doing?

Do you visit nightclubs and discos and other public music venues strictly to "stay on top of things", even possibly listening to live music that's "not your style" or "not your scene"?

I've heard it said that a new Techno record is doomed from the start--- no matter how clever/inspired it is-- if it is using sonorities (patches) that are too "last month" or "last year".

Do you ever find yourself HATING the prevailing Top 40 (in Pop, Rock, Grunge, Christian, C&W, Rap, R&B, etc.)

?

• Members

To stay hip implies that I ever WAS 'hip' to begin with.

I don't see the point. Especially when one considers your sixth sentence, and realizes that "staying hip" involves a constant race to purchase and record a synth three minutes before everyone else. What a sad way to live.

• Moderators

Nah, I stay in and 'book' to keep well read
:)

Me too!

Every time I go out to a club I'm disappointed in the quality of local music. I will absolutely go to see someone on a recommendation, but I'm so done with clubbing for the sake of clubbing. Or in the hopes of stumbling upon good music. It ain't happening. I'm 48. I spent between 4 and 7 nights a week in a club or music venue for 15 plus years. To say it's lost it's magic is an understatement. I'll leave the "hipness mining" to the bands I produce. And their freinds.

Magazines, TV, the internet, coffee bars. These are the clubs of today anyway. I listen to everything that comes out. I'm always listening. Always reading, and always happy to not jump on the bandwagon. But I do want to know who is on the bandwagon, and what the bandwagon is playing in their CD player. Or satellite radio system.

The only thing a club has that my house doesn't have is cigarette smoke and young women. If I want to stare at young women, I go to the coffee bar or the beach! :)

Clubbing ain't what it used to be. Even for a newly turned 21 year old.

• Members

I've heard it said that a new Techno record is doomed from the start--- no matter how clever/inspired it is-- if it is using sonorities (patches) that are too "last month" or "last year".

If you're using last month's patches, that makes it 'old skool', which is cool by default. :D

Do you ever find yourself HATING the prevailing Top 40 (in Pop, Rock, Grunge, Christian, C&W, Rap, R&B, etc.)

No, I don't hate it. I may start hating it if it's played on high rotation, but I don't see any way around that. If a song is good, I like it. If it sucks, it sucks. That's about it. Most songs are not created to have any lasting value. Thats nothing new. They are following the current trends (see above) trying to stay hip and hoping to cash in on whatever everyone else is cashing in on. So there really isn't any real reason to like these songs from the start. Once in a while someone comes along with a fresh idea and an inspired delivery...those are the songs that tend to last in my book.

I don't really visit night spots. First of all, I have two small kids, and I can't just take off like the old days. Also, there really isn't much around here that's worth seeing. The bands in this area serve up the same crap they were serving 25 years ago. The local disco might be interesting to checkout some time, but I'm not single and 21, and not much of a dancer, so it might get a little dull for me.

The joy of going out for me has always been performing. If I go out and I'm not playing, I mostly spend the night wishing I was playing, and where's the fun in that?

• Members

I'll admit it, I was multi-tasking, and wasn't paying full attention when I read that opening line...And I heard my inner "narrator voice" saying, as I was reading: "How hip are you as a producer, artiste, engineer, stalker?" :eek:

I forget which comedian said, "You don't want to be that 'old guy' hanging around the nightclub," but he was right. Now, I'm not really that old, and I "look young for my age," but even in my younger days, I had to be reeeally horny to tolerate the fashionista scene...

On a serious note, one way I come up with new ideas is to hear something new that I like, and then never listen to it again. I let the idea percolate in my head a bit, as my own personal variations take over. Once I'm done, I've got something new: much like a rumor that gets spread from one end of the room comes out completely different at the other end. :cool:

• Members

When I was clubbing (and I went out a lot), I'm not sure how much hip music I actually saw. Certainly it was a tiny, tiny slice out of the otherwise endless procession of cookie cutter bands who were mostly identifiable by the various ways they failed to match up their models.

That said, I'm not sure how else to catch young, interesting acts besides just keeping your ear to the ground. They were out there -- but often as not the bands that got word of mouth and club buzz were those with a pretty boy front people or an exaggerated image -- and typically boring, formulaic music -- but then maybe that's what sells. Many of the quirky, artisitically interesting bands I saw barely sold any records -- it they even got a chance to release any.

PS... I'd say that if you're using OPP (other people's patches) -- or worse yet wavetable samples of putatively hip sounds -- you're probably already hipness challenged to a terminal degree.

• Members

Me too!

Every time I go out to a club I'm disappointed in the quality of local music. I will absolutely go to see someone on a recommendation, but I'm so done with clubbing for the sake of clubbing. Or in the hopes of stumbling upon good music. It ain't happening. I'm 48. I spent between 4 and 7 nights a week in a club or music venue for 15 plus years. To say it's lost it's magic is an understatement. I'll leave the "hipness mining" to the bands I produce. And their freinds.

Magazines, TV, the internet, coffee bars. These are the clubs of today anyway. I listen to everything that comes out. I'm always listening. Always reading, and always happy to not jump on the bandwagon. But I do want to know who
is
on the bandwagon, and what the bandwagon is playing in their CD player. Or satellite radio system.

The only thing a club has that my house doesn't have is cigarette smoke and young women. If I want to stare at young women, I go to the coffee bar or the beach!
:)

Clubbing ain't what it used to be. Even for a newly turned 21 year old.

I agree with much of this.

From my experience, places like coffee shops and other boutique shops is where I hear the best music.

Besides, coffee shops is where *I* play! :D

I do party a lot.

I do not drink, do drugs, smoke or anything... so my concept of "party" and "nightclubbing" is more like going to the clubs, enjoy the music -if there is anything actually enjoyable-, watch girls, see friends, dance a little and having an alcohol-free Pina Colada.

Yes, some of the music I hear allow me to keep updated regarding what is "hip" if I am required to do something "in the likes of that new song".

• Members

Don't care, I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam!

Are you exceedingly interested in what the latest artistes, trends, sonorities, lyrical themes, production treatments are?

Only if these decorations are not there to cover up bland, tepid, insipid content!

Or are you a little rusty?

Only at the stuff I seldom do... like bricklaying, for example..

Or maybe so into your own "thing" that you don't care at all what others are doing?

I'm always interested in what's out there, but am not willing to spend very much precious bandwidth hunting for jewels in the dungheap, in a manner of speaking.

Do you visit nightclubs and discos and other public music venues strictly to "stay on top of things", even possibly listening to live music that's "not your style" or "not your scene"?

>> I've been out gigging every weekend since about March. Don't have a lot of time to be 'audience'...

If it depends on fads and trends, it won't stand the test of time... Sort of like a musical Paris Hilton, no?

I tune in once or twice a week to see if there are any pleasant surprises... But I rarely can stand to listen to the dreck there for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

• Members

I agree with much of this.

From my experience, places like coffee shops and other boutique shops is where I hear the best music.

Besides, coffee shops is where *I* play!
:D

Yep, those are my favorites.. I play those, plus several local weekly/monthly open mics & jams, where I find phenomenal players and new friends. There is also a local art-house/theatre here with really great acts - - it is way underappreciated...

• Members

Yep, those are my favorites.. I play those, plus several local weekly/monthly open mics & jams, where I find phenomenal players and new friends. There is also a local art-house/theatre
with really great acts - - it is
way
underappreciated...

That's awesome. I've had similar experiences here in BFE. I'm really looking to settle in a place that has more "art house" resources for me to do my improv.

• Members

"hip" and "cool" is an illusion.

If you think you are either, you are not. You cannot be "cool" to one group while also being "cool" to another; and these days, things are so fractionalized you're most likely going to be "uncool" to more people than not.

It's a game that seems to have worked for people for a long time, until fairly recently. There's a lot of people that still subscribe to the concept; they're worried about how they look, what they're listening to, who/what they name drop... but the reality is, there is no dominant "coolness" in modern society, except in that oldschool "rat pack/Nicholson/Shatner/Hendrix" sense.

Hmph, "cool" will go away, soon. It was easy when it was "squares vs. hepcats" "stoners vs. jocks", etc... but "cool" can't exist when there are too many categories people are choosing from. You can only be cool now if you lazily follow your own muse - and then hope that somehow that is congruent with a "nice" existence.

• Members

Gee, Chip, to me 'cool' always meant 'not an ass'... but maybe to some people it's more about image than substance.

The little cliques you describe do not define cool in this sense... I've known cool jocks, cool nerds, cool garbagemen... great people are everywhere...

Exception: at some levels society and bureaucracy where one must give up their humanity for the sake of personal advancement, power and profit; you know, the Yuppie syndrome. That, to me, is the antithesis of cool.

Archived