If You Watch Television Today

MikeRivers

• Members

Halljams, you don't feel that "The Newlyweds" and reality TV shows about Scott Baio constitute quality programming?

Had i known that Scott was back doing it again i would have been all over it, he truly was one of the greats.

But i think i was busy that day looking for 4 leaf clovers or analyzing the pros and cons of extra long shoe laces. You know, more important stuff.

• Members

Had i known that Scott was back doing it again i would have been all over it, he truly was one of the greats.

But i think i was busy that day looking for 4 leaf clovers or analyzing the pros and cons of extra long shoe laces. You know, more important stuff.

:D

Baio is truly one of the greats. How is it that one show - "Happy Days" - could have not just one but two incredible thespians with Ted McGinley?

~~~

What's interesting to me is how much variety television has (regardless of what you might think of it) and how little variety radio has. Sure, you can point to satellite radio, which has more, but until recently, radio has been dominated by only a handful of formats.

• Members

:D

Baio is truly one of the greats. How is it that one show - "Happy Days" - could have not just one but two incredible thespians with Ted McGinley?

~~~

What's interesting to me is how much variety television has (regardless of what you might think of it) and how little variety radio has. Sure, you can point to satellite radio, which has more, but until recently, radio has been dominated by only a handful of formats.

It was different times. Actors had a chance to develop and hone their craft.

There'll never be another SB, lets just learn to live with it.

• Members

Visual entertainment is too accessible and too common and too easy.

The easier things get the easier society wants them to be.

Listening is harder than seeing these days because recent generations' listening skills never developed because they never had to.

Thus the lack of interest in music comparatively, and thus the shift in variety and focus from music to television/movies. Thus the lack of industry.

Unless everyone goes blind it will never have the market share again that it once did. I think the market WILL refine though and the {censored} (the crappy music) will slowly get pushed out until only elite stuff gets any attention, it may be 20 years but i look forward to it, because some good things will happen when people start to catch on to it as a specialized market.

Even though everyone and their dog is making records now i think it will shrink down and be reborn again. It is just the excitement about the technology that kids like, and we all know that that has nothing to do with the heart of what music is really about.

The heart of what music is really about is actually gone from most music being made now, less and less people know what it is and the less the better IMO.

Let it dissappear for a decade or so. It will be that much more appreciated when it comes back as a new thing a couple generations or so from now.

Archived