RIP - Joe Zawinul

Gus Lozada

Joe Zawinul - RIP

(live-PR.com) - VIENNA, Austria (AP) - Jazz legend Joe Zawinul, who soared to fame as one of the creators of jazz fusion and performed and recorded with Miles Davis, has died, his son said. He was 75.

Zawinul died in a Vienna hospital early Tuesday, his son, Erich Zawinul, was quoted as saying by the Austria Press Agency. Zawinul had been hospitalized since last month. Zawinul won widespread acclaim for his keyboard work on chart-topping Davis albums such as

• Members

Joe Zawinul - RIP

(live-PR.com) - VIENNA, Austria (AP) - Jazz legend Joe Zawinul, who soared to fame as one of the creators of jazz fusion and performed and recorded with Miles Davis, has died, his son said. He was 75.

Zawinul died in a Vienna hospital early Tuesday, his son, Erich Zawinul, was quoted as saying by the Austria Press Agency. Zawinul had been hospitalized since last month. Zawinul won widespread acclaim for his keyboard work on chart-topping Davis albums such as

• Members

I have been thinking lately that I would love to hear him play with Wayne Shorter again, they were such a magic team, the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. He (and Shorter) was a giant as an individual also..

How many of you know he wrote Mercy, Mercy as performed by Cannonball Adderly and many, many others.

For the neophytes, check out the Weather Report album Mysterious Traveller. it is very beautiful, spooky and evocative and way ahead of its time.

• Moderators

When you listen to recordings with synth from the seventies, Weather Report stands alone for almost never using a corny, dated sounding synth timbre. The sounds were always suitable for the mood of the composition.

True... and his command of polyphonic aftertouch was unreal. Each finger in a cluster seemed to have a life of it's own. Not unlike a woodwind section, where each musician had a unique personality and phrasing yet played as a team. All in one hand.

He had the ability to take a very straightforward melody like Birdland, and inject it with personality. His phrasing was never gimmicky, but it was never stock either. A simple pharse would remain a simple phrase, but he would always do something unique to it. Like Miles that way.

Joe.

• Members

Saw him play about three years ago at Catalina's in L.A. with the Zawinul Syndicate, great show, frighteningly good players, Alex Acuna even joined in for the last tune. Its cool that a musician can have a career that continues on past retirement age, his was stellar. I don't think he's resting at all, he's continuing the legacy. :cool:

Steve

• Members

He was the consummate synth player. No one else like him. If I had to choose between him and Chic Corea, I'd chose Zawinul without hesitation.

Sad to see him go.

I had a chance to see him perform live years ago, and he canceled last minute (I think he got a higher paying gig, which was a little tacky, but whatever), and Special EFX performed instead. It was a good show, but I really wanted to see Joe.

I think I'll stick Night Passage on.

Archived