How about Video Compression???

russrags

• Members

OK I've ripped a DVD ... made some edits in Vegas ... now my files are twice as big as You Tube allows .... I've tried all sorts of combinations in Vegas, but so far it's not shrinking. My files are 240,00KB 7-8 minutes long, from other 7-8 minute content I've saved off of You Tube, those files were around 50,000KB.

I've also got DVD Architect, but that's not doing the job either.

What should I be using to shrink these uncompressed files down ???

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Dude, they ARE compressed!

Uncompressed video is >>13 GIGABYTES PER HOUR

MPEG2 is good. In fact its the same compression they use on DVDs (.vobs are just .mpeg files) Both Video for Windows (.wma) and Quicktime (.mov) give you the option of lowing the bit rate, throwing out more and more info to get the file smaller.

You can also reduce the size of the final project - most people only save as a 240x320 pixel size and let the viewing program zoom it up to full screen by interpolation. Lousier quality, yes, but that's how you save space.

As with MP3's the more compression you squeeze a video down, the crappier the final product... so it's all down to what final quality you can put up with.

....but decent video ain't gonna be tiny....

• Members

What's the format you're exporting to? AVI, MPEG, WMV? I don't know anything about Vegas, but in Studio9 you can choose the export format. For stuff I send to YouTube, its convenient for me to export to WMV. And if you've got an "advanced tab", you could probably even choose how much to compress the vid. Also, you can get a stand alone WMV compressor at microsoft's pages, free of charge. I believe 786k or 1500k bit rate will do just fine in the WMV format. That should get it on YouTube.

• Members

Also look at the frame size. Compression can certainly help with file size, but shrinking your output frame size will reduce file size much, much more quickly.

For instance, one of the frequent mistakes is the user doesn't realize that he's outputting to 720x480 because he's viewing everything in a small preview window, when 320x240 will do for their purposes.

Just a suggestion, since I have no idea what your output actually is.

• Members

* Render audio as mono instead of stereo. That gives either better quality for the same bit rate, or mono quality equal to stereo when doing half the frame rate.

* Choose 320 x 240 picture size.

* Lower frame rate from 30 to 15 fps.

* Always render at "best" quality and do a double pass if possible.. It doesn't increase the final size, but improves the quality. It does take longer, though.

* 7-8 minutes is a fairly long video...consider doing it in two parts.

• Members

I think I ultimately uploaded my YouTube video with AVI. I just kept squeezing it (frame size, etc., what everyone else said) until it looked somewhat acceptable, and then uploaded it. You just have to resign yourself to the fact that YouTube videos look crappy and then hope for the best.

• Members

Hey Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Go over to Angelo's thread ... his looks fantastic, even Full screen it looks fantastic, stereo too and 4 seconds shy of 10 minutes !!!!!

I realized mine was outputing to 720x480, made that change and fooled around with mono, had trouble getting Vegas to switch to 15fps for Mpeg, AVI makes the change, but AVI also cranked my file size up to 1.5Gig, where the 320x240 Mpeg did reduce my file to 140,00KB ... sooooo I'm getting there.

Don't worry Dean, it's my material .... it's an instructional piece on Vocal lessons from http://www.reneegrantwilliams.com/

I'll send a link when I get it posted. I was begining to think I might have to split it up into two parts, but looks like Angelo's got that one figured out ... go take a look at his it's awsome.

Thanks,

Russ

Nashville

Archived