How are you 6 years later?

Ernest Buckley

• Members

Played for a memorial service today for NYC Firefighters. It was a very touching service but I must admit throughout the day I`ve been a little down over the overwhelming memorials. Its good to remember the great deeds done that day and the days after but it really does somber me up.

I`d like to remember the world and the kindness shown the days afterwards. Pre 9.11, I realize how innocent life was and how naive I was too. I think we all were.

Six year of war too. 9.11 was a declaration of war. So many have died in its aftermath. It saddens my soul but I`m trying to keep my positive energy up and remember the example of 300 plus firefighters.

RIP

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The whole thing just makes me sick. And if you've ever seen close up films of the towers falling you can see the timed explosives that took them down. Planes have hit skyscrapers before and messed up a few floors but they don't fall. And why did building 7 fall? No plane hit it??? And of course Giuliani carted off all the evidence almost immediately.

There are more contractors in Iraq than soldiers, and they ride in way more bomb proof vehicles. American soldiers ask for what they've got for X-mass.

Our national credit card is stretched farther than I would have thought possible. The military industrial complex is thriving at the expense of our blood and treasure.

I'll put it this way, a great girl that me and mine used to work with and who we partied with almost every Friday night for many years is really upset today. This is her nephew, (he got married last spring):

http://www.wave3.com/global/story.asp?s=7056423

• Members

I don't know what to think any more, frankly. The only thing I know is that a lot of people unselfishly did everything they could to help, and now they're paying for it by dying from various respiratory-related diseases...that there were multiple acts of heroism and sacrifice...that this forum was changed by what happened, as it provided a cathartic home for those of us who wanted to reach out to others.

Normally, I would dismiss consipiracy theories out of hand...like I did back in the 60s, when there were those conspiracy theories about how the Gulf of Tonkin incident was bogus, and the FBI was spying on MLK. Only problem was, time told us those conspiracy theories were true. So anything is possible. We still don't know who killed JFK, and I'm not sure I buy the official stories about how RFK and Malcolm X died, either.

We all know governments are corrupt, all power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Maybe that's the explanation for 9/11. But maybe it was just some very smart terrorist with a serious axe to grind. Regardless, let's not lose sight of the most important lesson of 9/11: Human beings are capable of great acts of selfless devotion toward one another. One firefighter who gave his life trying to rescue people from an exploding building showed more courage in one minute than Congress has shown in my lifetime, with the lone exception of the McCarthy hearings -- and even then, it was the army that stood up for what was right.

May all the people affected by this tragedy find some peace in their lives...or at the least, peace in their deaths.

• Members

Acts of heroism and sacrifice are usually rewarded with indifference in our nation.

Ask any Vietnam Vet who was exposed to Agent Orange. What was his reward? And we were there for exactly what reason, anyway?

Ask any 9/11 Rescue Worker exposed to asbestos and God-knows what else.

(I can still hear the echoes of the lies told on TV that the air was fine...no problem. The government agencies tested it, didn't they? And after all, the government wouldn't lie to us, would they?.

Our country is not the country that we learned about in our history books.

This is not a representative democracy that has our interests as a priority. The priority is with the rich and powerful who run this nation, mostly to their benefit.

Our Heroes are quickly forgotton. It takes money to help them after they helped us. Our government (ie, Big Business) has reaped the rewards of their sorrow and sacrifice and all-too-soon turns a jaundiced eye when it counts the most.

• Members

I don't know what to think any more, frankly. The only thing I know is that a lot of people unselfishly did everything they could to help, and now they're paying for it by dying from various respiratory-related diseases...that there were multiple acts of heroism and sacrifice...that this forum was changed by what happened, as it provided a cathartic home for those of us who wanted to reach out to others.

Normally, I would dismiss consipiracy theories out of hand...like I did back in the 60s, when there were those conspiracy theories about how the Gulf of Tonkin incident was bogus, and the FBI was spying on MLK. Only problem was, time told us those conspiracy theories were true. So anything is possible. We still don't know who killed JFK, and I'm not sure I buy the official stories about how RFK and Malcolm X died, either.

We all know governments are corrupt, all power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Maybe that's the explanation for 9/11. But maybe it was just some very smart terrorist with a serious axe to grind. Regardless, let's not lose sight of the most important lesson of 9/11: Human beings are capable of great acts of selfless devotion toward one another. One firefighter who gave his life trying to rescue people from an exploding building showed more courage in one minute than Congress has shown in my lifetime, with the lone exception of the McCarthy hearings -- and even then, it was the army that stood up for what was right.

May all the people affected by this tragedy find some peace in their lives...or at the least, peace in their deaths.

An intelligent person doesn't dismiss anything right off hand just because it doesn't Sound like it should be true. They investigate Like i did for several years. Then after countless multitudes of evidence piles up you will come to a conclusion using the scientific method. If you've done this research with an unbiased mind you will come to an inevitable conclusion and your opinion will be valid. If a person just disputes so called "conspiracy theories" with no facts to couter to back them up then they expose their utter ignorance and therefore have no argument.

• Members

If you've done this research with an unbiased mind you will come to an inevitable conclusion and your opinion will be valid.

True, but a lot of times that validity depends on whether the people who wrote what you researched approached the subject with an unbiased mind. Take the JFK assassination, for example. There are so many theories floating around, and they can't all be right...even though each theory has some compelling evidence to back it up.

• Members

True, but a lot of times that validity depends on whether the people who wrote what you researched approached the subject with an unbiased mind. Take the JFK assassination, for example. There are so many theories floating around, and they can't all be right...even though each theory has some compelling evidence to back it up.

So so so so true....:thu:

• Members

:blah: :blah: :blah::rolleyes:

The whole thing just makes me sick. And if you've ever seen close up films of the towers falling you can see the timed explosives that took them down. Planes have hit skyscrapers before and messed up a few floors but they don't fall.

I was there, just a few blocks away when it all came down. I'm bored with the maudlin aspect of it. No way you forget, but it is time to stop re-funeralizing it all the time.

• Members

:blah:
:blah:
:blah::rolleyes:

I was there, just a few blocks away when it all came down. I'm
bored
with the maudlin aspect of it. No way you forget, but it is time to stop re-funeralizing it all the time.

I think there are three reasons why it has stayed so much in the public consciousness.

* There are a lot of unanswered questions.

* I think most people believe it was the opening act of something, not an event that happened and is done.

* What's happening right now to the rescue workers.

But I agree with you about the maudlin aspects. Wallowing in self-pity is never healthy.

• Members

Well, I'm not sure that the spirit of this thread is anything like Ernest's original intent.

As for me six years later, I'm about the same as I was six years ago. It impacted me, and I still get a weird feeling when I see low flying jets heading toward the airport, but apart from that my life hasn't changed. The biggest change I've noticed is that people are more paranoid and divided than they used to be.

As far as conspiracies go, it's the same old {censored}. 9/11, Area51, JFK, Lady Di, Elvis, and so on. Conspiracies a like cults, the more you examine them the more they suck you in. They've always got an answer for everything. It's a bunch of nonesense. I can tell you one thing, if our government were going to attack it's own people it sure as hell wouldn't have hit the WTC.

• Members

The problem with conspiracy theories is that some of them might be true. I'm not a big one for conspiracy theories, but I won't dismiss something out of hand either, just because I think it's unlikely, strange, far-fetched, or bizarre. I just keep an open mind and keep the facts coming.

• Members

Make the thread what you want. Just want to get a temperature from everyone. I for one feel the memorials are a little over the top. I`m sensitive to the issue and I realize people lost loved ones that day and never found their bodies, that is just something I can`t even imagine. However, they read all 3000+ names again and it took several hours. It just seems like we overdue each year. Our generation will never forget but do we have to go over the top each year (reading aloud all the names)?

To answer the questions above: I played for a service in which 50 or so Firemen were present. They do it every year. Its very touching and not over the top.

EB

• Members

The whole thing just makes me sick. And if you've ever seen close up films of the towers falling you can see the timed explosives that took them down. Planes have hit skyscrapers before and messed up a few floors but they don't fall.

Not trying to start an argument. I am really just curious. When was the last time that planes that big hit buildings pretty much dead on and 400-500mph?

• Members

I think there are three reasons why it has stayed so much in the public consciousness.

* There are a lot of unanswered questions.

* I think most people believe it was the opening act of something, not an event that happened and is done.

* What's happening right now to the rescue workers.

But I agree with you about the maudlin aspects. Wallowing in self-pity is never healthy.

Also, it's not like this has happened to this country very much either. And the whole thing was televised!!! That's why it's hard for me to get it out of my mind sometimes. I was actually out of the country when it happened. I never really grieved over it till a couple years ago.

And until some kind of memorial or new building/buildings is/are built in the current "hole in the ground" that now exists, it's going to be hard for people to move on.

• Members

An intelligent person doesn't dismiss anything right off hand just because it doesn't Sound like it should be true. They investigate Like i did for several years. Then after countless multitudes of evidence piles up you will come to a conclusion using the scientific method. If you've done this research with an unbiased mind you will come to an inevitable conclusion and your opinion will be valid. If a person just disputes so called "conspiracy theories" with no facts to couter to back them up then they expose their utter ignorance and therefore have no argument.

An intelligent person takes EVERYTHING with a grain of salt. What we hear from our government, the media, other people who say they have "researched and heard/read things" from various sources.......

I am not against conspiracy theories at all. In fact, they really should just be called, "Alternative Theories". ;)

I just have a hard time believing that anyone side is completely true in what they research. Remember, the people who research these things, who are "experts" in ballistics, dynamite, physics, demolition, or whatever else.....they are HUMANS. They make mistakes and they also have the ability and power to manipulate.

Politicians and citizens alike will vote and protest against things not because they are the difference between RIGHT and WRONG, but because it's the difference between WINNING and LOSING. Whether it be a theory, an argument, a Senate race, a Presidential race, or a school levy. It's about having power.

In our society today, what's right vs what's wrong isn't even talked about anymore. It's about who can make the most compelling argument no matter how much they have to manipulate and lie to get there point across.

And once all of this is spewed out of there mouths or written in reports, it goes straight to the consumer who either eats it up and follows it like a sheep, or who denies it and finds something else to "follow" in a sheeply fashion.

I am frankly sick and tired of the people who claim to have done "research" and start yelling the latest "theory" like they actually did ANYTHING other than read SOMEONE ELSE"S conclusion. This goes for everyone on both sides of the coin. It's easy to go online, go to the bookstore, buy some documentary dvd's on what really supposedly happened and then memorize your Q-cards when it's time to enter a debate with someone or a group of people.

You might sound like you know what you are talking about, but at the end of the day, you are really just believing in what you CHOOSE to believe in.

I wish we had more wolves than sheep in our society.

• Members

This thread is just one of the many reasons I love this forum. It really is performance art in the sense that everything seems to have a life of its own and go in the direction it wants to go.

This is again when of those times when I wish I was so filthy rich I could fly all the forumites someplace cool for a party.

• Members

what worse are the tens of thousands of soldiers killed or wounded plus millions of peoples displaced and hundreds of thousands dead in another country that didnt have anything to do with it, while another country gets a buttload of US arms that 80% of the hijackers came from. nevermind our original role in afghanistan... and the complete ineptness there now with this administration.

6 years later has become pretty {censored}ty IMO, and pretty much run into the ground by a few people so they could line their wallets with defense contracts, oil contracts and construction contracts. trillions of dollars. billions in cash MISSING, hundreds of barrels of oil MISSING every day, large stockpiles of weapons MISSING.

nevermind the constitution being trampled upon in their quest. the medias collusion with it all. sometimes i wish i did believe in hell so bush and co could burn eternally.

its disgusting they werent impeached for lying to the public about iraq, for commiting treason outing american spies who disagreed, firing journalists who spoke out against the war, the non-coverages of some of the biggest protests in the history of this country.

how am i 6 years later? pissed off yet apathetic knowing there really isnt a damn thing that can be done about anything.

• Members

Not trying to start an argument. I am really just curious. When was the last time that planes that big hit buildings pretty much dead on and 400-500mph?

When was the first and last time a skyscraper ever fell from Fire like they say the twin towers did? NEVER..before 911....How is it possible for a building to fall at freefall velocity according to Newtonian/HUMAN physics? It's NOT. Why did hundreds of Firefighters and policeman hear bombs going off before the buildings fell? Were they just hearing things? Oh, and Why did Building 7 fall when it had a few small fires in it...It was the 3rd skyscraper to EVER fall from fire In HISTORY...and how did it fall at almost freefall speed thus violating the laws of physics as we understand them on earth? Why did Norad basically stand down and why were these jets allowd to fly all around, change directions and hit targets without jets intercepting them...They were on Payne Stewarts plan almost immediately after they lost contact with them...I could go on and on and send you to 1000's of links but the bottom line is, something {censored}ing smells if you evern spend 1/2 hour looking into the inconsistancies...It pisses me the {censored} off and this is my country and the Government according to the Constitution works for ME...I'm supposed to believe this bull{censored} they are trying to cram down my throat like i'm stupid? Well i'm not so I started investigating.

• Members

When was the last time anyone COULD do that? According to some of the most qualified and experienced pilots in the world, it CAN'T BE DONE!! I'm supposed to {censored}ing believe a couple of terrorists who could barely fly a single engine Cessna could pull it off though? Give me a break.

Archived