How'd they extract Sarah Vaughan's 1959 vocals?

rasputin1963

• Members

I listened to a very cool single today: it was a new, hip remix of the 1959 Sarah Vaughan hit, "Whatever Lola Wants", (originally from the Broadway show DAMN YANKEES.)

This remix appears on the album THE VERVE REMIXES, VOLUME 2. So I'm guessing the new mixmaster had access to whatever master tapes VERVE owned.

But that was 1959.... and this new mix features Vaughan's vocals entirely extracted from the original bebop/big band record and grafted upon a hip new quasi-Django Reinhardt Lambada groove in big, fat, clean digital sound. Pretty tasteful, all things considered.:cool: It sounds almost like a Grace Jones record now!

So how'd they extract Sarah's vocals so cleanly? assuming that other instruments on the original record occupied the same frequencies as her voice?

• CMS Author
I'm guessing the new mixmaster had access to whatever master tapes VERVE owned.

But that was 1959.... and this new mix features Vaughan's vocals entirely extracted from the original bebop/big band record and grafted upon a hip new quasi-Django Reinhardt Lambada groove in big, fat, clean digital sound. Pretty tasteful, all things considered.
:cool:

So how'd they extract Sarah's vocals so cleanly?

In 1957, Ampex delivered "The Octopus" to Les Paul. By 1959 the 3-track and 4-track recorders were pretty common studio tools. and it wasn't unusual to use one track for the soloist. It was probably not overdubbed so there was likely some leakage from the band, but not enough to bother a hiphop remix.

Archived