Kontakt 3 is out: Do you care?

amplayer

• Members

I don't really agree with the wording of the choices, but as part of my Komplete, yes, I'm going to upgrade. This is a significant revision.

33GB of content, now includes a Wave Editor, much improved GUI, way easier to search for sounds ... very cool.

• Members

The interface is a lot cleaner, too.

I like that the interface is cleaner, but I'll have to try it myself to see how much cleaner it really is. I wonder if they'll have real resizable windows...

A feature that I really hope they've added is the ability to use the breakpoint drawing utility to create crossfades for multi-velocity samples. In Kontakt 2, you had to draw them in without even any numerical reference and no breakpoints or curves available.

Though Reason's NN-XT is nowhere near as powerful as Kontakt, it does have an intuitive and easy way to create crossfades. Maybe NI will have caught up.

• Members

33GB of content, now includes a Wave Editor, much improved GUI, way easier to search for sounds ... very cool.

FYI, of the 33 GB of content, only 17 GB is new content. Still, assuming that 17 GB is mostly good quality content, that alone could justify the upgrade price.

• Members

I got ver.2 about 6 months ago, but have not had the time to do much with it...I might as well buy the upgrade & spend my "learning curve" on version 3. I'm hoping to make it one of the key components of a Muse Receptor "road rig," and I've been assembling the various components over the course of this year.

• Members

I don't really agree with the wording of the choices, but as part of my Komplete, yes, I'm going to upgrade.

+1

Yes, I would have worded it more like "Absolutely. I'll let others be early adopters though" so I chose the "Maybe. I'll let others be early adopters though" option.

I used to be much more of a first kid on the block kind of guy. These days, I'm happy to let others find the bugs and jump onboard when things are more stable. That said, I'm looking forward to upgrading. :)

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I still use Kontakt 1, it does everything I need a sampler to do for what little I use a sampler anymore. I didn't need built in convolution and scripting in Kontakt 2 and found the interface larger and more bloated than 1. As far as 3 goes, I don't need any more sampler libraries or features, not to mention bugs awaiting updates. The only thing new that I bought sampler-wise was CDXtracts Samplit

• Members
I still use Kontakt 1, it does everything I need a sampler to do for what little I use a sampler anymore. I didn't need built in convolution and scripting in Kontakt 2 and found the interface larger and more bloated than 1. As far as 3 goes, I don't need any more sampler libraries or features, not to mention bugs awaiting updates. The only thing new that I bought sampler-wise was CDXtracts Samplit

Well I certainly can't argue with not upgrading because the old software suits your needs just fine.

However, in my systems, Kontakt 2 has been more stable than Kontakt 1 or 1.5 was. If you experience crashes, I'd suggest checking out Kontakt 2.

• Members

will finally crack and put in a {censored}ing wah wah effect?

it pisses me off

seriously, there isnt a sampler or synth with an effects section to even begin rival the one i had in any of the romplers i owned.

Are you talking about an autowah or a pedal wah effect?

In any case, it is true that Kontakt doesn't have a built in effect called "wah". However, Kontakt is LOADED with filters that can be controlled by nearly anything you want. If you know what a wah does, it is very easy to create a playable autowah or pedal wah effect by using either envelopes (autowah) or MIDI controllers (pedal wah) to modulate one or more of the built in filters. Unfortunately, even though the Kontakt modultion and synthesis capabilities are very fully featured, they are not straight forward and easy to understand. I believe they have made this much easier in Kontakt 3, but we'll have to wait and see.

Also, it would be nice if they included a couple autowah and pedal wah presets so you wouldn't have to build them up yourself.

Archived