Essential Listening "Psychedelic" Albums?

Anderton

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

loads more than that... but not "biggies" although they are "better" than a lot of those "biggies", but for a younger generation and the kind of "trip" you want to take.

try mazzy star, flaming lips, velvet underground, sparklehorse, beastie boys pauls boutique [quintessential mushroom album], butthole surfers, kyuss, qotsa, clutch, yo la tengo, ween!, nick cave/birthday party, most bill laswell/material, eno/byrne, [suprisingly] outkast's aquemeni, bob marley [most anything, while not psychedelic per se... certainly the "right music"] talking blues, roky erickson and the 13th floor elevators [the ORIGINAL acid rock band], most allman bros stuff... thats just right off the top of my head.

• Members

oh and pink floyd meddle is better than piper imo while tripping., white album and abbey road is better than both revolver and splhcb imo as well while tripping. and the dead? wow, you have a LOT of ground to cover there but only live stuff, bears picks, from teh vault series, etc...

• Members

Well for what it's worth and of course people have differing views about the borders of genres . . .

Thirteenth Floor Elevators?

Small Faces (2nd album) ??

erm, Dr John Gris Gris ???

And rather cartoonish and a little later (and perhaps hardly "the cream") but what about early Hawkwind ????

And wasn't there some band from Phildelphia ? ;)

• Members

essential music would be 8-10 hours of music all varying from start to finish of a trip.

like starting off with butthole surfers 'independant worm saloon' how its starts the whole shebang with who was in my room last night? [im flying.... flying away] and then filter into things like pauls boutique while you are starting upwards, that puts you about 1:30 in. maybe flaming lips 'transmissions' then moving onto something like electric ladyland for peaking midway through that so 1983 hits right after the big peak. or throw VU/nico album right before jimi... then move into the spacier things like flaming lips/sparklehorse/etc... and end up with mazzy star towards the close of it. meddle is good coming out of hendrix EL>meddle>sparklehorse.

odd things like janis is good in the beginning as well.

• Members

oh and pink floyd meddle is better than piper imo while tripping., white album and abbey road is better than both revolver and splhcb imo as well while tripping. and the dead? wow, you have a LOT of ground to cover there but only live stuff, bears picks, from teh vault series, etc...

Yeah, I figured Live Dead was the best option because 1) it's widely available, 2) it's in their post-speed/pre-heroin era, so it's more "psychedelic," 3) it's live, where the Dead were really in their element, and it's trippy as hell.

I know what you mean about Meddle, but Piper was such an explosion of creativity, so different from what had gone before, and so obviously fueled by Acid - not to mention the whole Syd Barrett mystique element - that I think it's a good place to point people if they want to feel what the vibe was back in the psychedelic scene of the 60s.

• Members

kyuss blues for the red sun is essential!

havent heard wolfmother yet although people keep telling me about them.

mercury rev 'see you on the other side' is increible! great opus album.

and the essential brian eno and robert fripp [which includes no pussyfooting] is well, essential for that last "record" of the night [usually morning].

• Members

Yeah, I figured Live Dead was the best option because 1) it's widely available, 2) it's in their post-speed/pre-heroin era, so it's more "psychedelic," 3) it's live, where the Dead were really in their element, and it's trippy as hell.

I know what you mean about Meddle, but Piper was such an explosion of creativity, so different from what had gone before, and so obviously fueled by Acid.

animals was another REALLY odd album to put on as well, although that kind of marked the end of PF beta-v1.9 for me personally, the wall was like PF v2.0. but even well after syd was gone, his influence in the members minds was pretty strong. such and odd character.

biggest problem with 13th floor elevators was their sonics... the recordings were just horrendous. i had to remaster them just to listen to them.... and even then i would LOVE to get my hands on the masters and remix it. roky's later stuff sounded a bit better... and that tribute album was pretty good 'where the pyramid meets the eye'.

• Members

United States of America. [eponymous album]

I guess you were trying to hold it to one album per artist -- but any list -- no matter how short -- of psychedelic albums that doesn't include Electric Ladyland is too short.

Three Ragas, by Ravi Shankar.

Psychedelic Lollipop, by the Blues Magoos. As with the Doors (I think I'd hold that Strange Days is the more psychedelic of the first two LPs by them, though), the Blues Magoos found ways to take pop music to the edge of chaos (their psychedelic breakdowns are justifiably famous).

After Bathing at Baxters, by the Jefferson Airplane. Many Airplane fans feel that this, one of their least successful albums, was also one of their best. Certainly it was the most psychedelic. It's hard to hear it without imagining oneself tripping on a warm, sunny, Saturday Afternoon... But it's not all sunny, Young Girl Sunday Blues... the dark and cynical Two Heads joins a precursor of acid-tongued 70s-style social observation to the edgy psychedelia of the music (love that high hat).

Da Capo and Forever Changes, by Love.

Honorable mention: Anthem of the Sun and Aoxomoxoa by the Grateful Dead. While neither of these albums exactly captures it, I saw one of the most mind-bendingly psychedelic concerts I'd see for a long time by the Dead opening for the Airplane at, of all places, the relatively small theatre-in-the-round, Melodyland, in Anaheim.

And finally, also in the Honorable Mention camp, if only because I've never heard the album as actually released: Above All, by Stack. Thanks to a total sucker contract the band signed with the some-would-say-dispicable Mike Curb [a some-would-say-sleazy music producer/exploiter turned GOP politician] and his Sidewalk Records, Above All was only released decades later -- and the band was tied into an 8 year contract that gave the band, according to All Music Guide, "virtually nothing besides the opportunity to record their music," essentially killing one of SoCal's most promising psychedelic bands. Although I've never heard the album [which I'm gonna have to buy, now that I know it's finally been released] -- I can confirm that Stack gave really great, hall-shaking shows with enough feedback and crazy jams to open a portal into another dimension.

• Members

You should include The Wall and DSOTM...they are the usual suspects. And for the 80's generation, The Wall is the quintessential trip album.

That's a bad trip, seems to me. ;)

I never liked the album but I did like the movie. But I had weird -- though oddly enjoyable, if fundamentally disturbing -- dreams for three nights afterwards. And I was [arguably, ahem] on nothing stronger than beer the night I watched it.

FWIW, I'll offer this handy tip for those looking for a movie to experience in an expanded mental state: Do not, on a rainy week day when you're out of work and feeling depresseed already, endeavor to expand your consciousness and then go to a local indoor shopping mall to see a movie only to find that the only thing showing is The Good-Bye Girl. To this day, just the thought of that rainy afternoon sends me rushing to hide the razor blades from myself...

• Members

It's a lot more modern, but Primal Scream's Vanishing Point is an incredible psychedelic album. In fact, it's much more psychedelic than the old 60's psychedelic stuff because modern recording technology allowed it to be so.

Where's the highly skeptical emoticon?

Well... I guess psychedelic is all in one's own mind, anyhow...

:D;):D

Archived