Dithering for dummies.

shniggens

• Members

I record in 24 bit, and I need to dither down so I can burn to CD.

Cubase 4 has a plug-in called UV22HR. No instructions in the manual on how to use it.

Do I just insert this plug-in to the main output bus, hit the '16 bit' button on it, and export the mixdown through that bus?

• Members

Not to be blasphemous, but I don't want to understand the theory right now (go ahead, give me THE LECTURE).

I just want to get some stuff onto CD, and I need to know how.

It's crazy to think that all this time, I've never put anything on CD. All our music has existed in the cyber realm only.

• CMS Author
I record in 24 bit, and I need to dither down so I can burn to CD.

Cubase 4 has a plug-in called UV22HR. No instructions in the manual on how to use it.

Do I just insert this plug-in to the main output bus, hit the '16 bit' button on it, and export the mixdown through that bus?

That sounds like the general instructions for using a plug-in. UV22 is perfectly good dither and there's no reason not to use it, at least for a home-made CD.

• CMS Author

Hmmm, well I tried that, and burned a CD, but I couldn't listen to it in my car CD player. Maybe because I exported it as an MP3? Should I export as wave?

How did you burn it on the CD? Are you using a program for CD burning, or are you just copying the file (and yes, it should be a WAV file) to the CD?

Most newer versions of CD burning programs like Nero or Roxio Sonic Studio will burn an audio CD properly from a 16-bit or 24-bit WAV file, or even from an MP3 file. But a "data CD" (a copy of the WAV file on CD) won't play in an audio CD player.

• CMS Author

I used Nero. But I did not use the 'Audio' copy version of the program. Just the 'Creator Classic' which probably copies it as data?

Every version of Nero that I've seen has looked different. What you need to do is find "Create an Audio CD" in a menu or a wizard. That will put the proper coding on the disk along with the data so that it will be recognized by a normal CD player.

It's worth blowing half a buck's worth of blanks and an hour learning what the options really do. You might see if it will burn a CD directly from an MP3 file and a 24-bit WAV file. If it doesn't complain about that and you get a playable CD, compare that CD with one where you've used your UV22 plug-in to make a 16-bit WAV file and see if you can hear any difference. You may discover a shortcut that works well enough for you.

• Members

Forget dithering for your home made CD. It's only a masking to cover truncation noise at a loudness about -78 dB RMS AES-17 standard, but the truncation noise is not louder then the masking noise. So, who gives a damn if there is a truncation or a masking noise. It's like cleaning a remaining noise who can't be cleaned, similar to the mania for cleaning my wife suffers from.

But when you want to dither anyhow, you inserted the Apogee UV22HR dither plug ---> plus in the save dialog in the export window you have to select 16-bit 44.1 Khz, or it won't dither when rendering the CD master.

Archived