Ride cymbal samples

spikemullings

• Members

Sorry, this question is a bit boring and doubtless quite naive but if you could humour me with a response I'd be very grateful :).

I wonder if anyone could please take the time to let me know how they set up ride cymbal samples in Battery or whatever.

In particular do you put the ride cymbal/s in a mute group so that a second hit, or hitting say a bell after an edge ride cuts off the last sample? If so do you think that is naturalistic or is it better to let the samples ring through?

Do you trim the samples at all?

I notice that if the rides are set to ring through and are part of the drum group that I send to a reverb bus to give a bit of "air" to the kit, then I get what I assume to be buffer trouble (again I assume) because the ride cymbal samples are so long and so adding reverb to long ringing samples is causing problems. If I set up a mute group the problem goes away.

I know I should trust my ears but I can't quite make up my mind whether ringing through or self muting rides sound more naturalistic. If had to lay my money down it would be on ringing through . . . but then buffer problems.

Just for reference I am using Reaper with an Alesis IO 26 into a 2.13 dual core on Windows XP with 1 GB ram and manky instruments.

Disclaimer: I am a cretin of the highest order and so any assumptions I have made above may well be wrong.

• Members

Of course, hitting a ride consecutively in two different spots while the first is still ringing can't be modelled with just 2 samples. With today's technology, I'd suggest to just do whatever you like best with your own ears. In a full mix, it's doubtful anyone else would notice the difference anyways.

Archived