Editing mp3's?

gtrwiz

• Members

Hey all,

I've been doing some live recording with 320 kbps mp3's and I was wondering if there's a program that you can edit them without having to convert them to Wav first? It's all personal use stuff that is going to end up in mp3 format, but I'd still rather not go mp3-wav-mp3.

thanks

• Members

There's really no way to natively edit MP3s that I know of. Everyone uses a codec to convert it to WAV & back.

So it's generally good to keep a WAV copy (or lossless compression copy, such as Monkey's Audio or FLAC) around of anything you'll want to edit again.

• CMS Author
I've been doing some live recording with 320 kbps mp3's and I was wondering if there's a program that you can edit them without having to convert them to Wav first?

I use a program calld MP3 Direct Cut (http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html) when I want to clean up an MP3 recording, but it's not usable for music-accurate editing. MP3 files are frame-based and you can only cut them on a frame boundary, which may not be exactly where you want to cut.

• Members

In a pinch -- and I'm not sure what all the ramifications might be -- but, in a pinch, you can rename an Mp3 file as a WAV file and it should play and presumably be editable, perhaps depending on your editor. It works in Sony Sound Forge.

In the 'old days' we used to use the renaming trick (in a pinch) to embed mp3s in web pages, which under the long-extant older web standards requires a wav file. Rename the mp3 as a WAV file. People used that for those irritating sounds some people think their websites ought to make. Now, of course, everyone just uses Flash to be irritating, a task at which Flash is highly effective. ;)

Archived