Happy 25th Birthday to the :-)

Jeff da Weasel

• Members

Source

Language experts say the smiley face and other emotional icons, known as emoticons, have given people a concise way in e-mail and other electronic messages of expressing sentiments that otherwise would be difficult to detect.

Fahlman posted the emoticon in a message to an online electronic bulletin board at 11:44 a.m. on Sept. 19, 1982, during a discussion about the limits of online humor and how to denote comments meant to be taken lightly.

"I propose the following character sequence for joke markers: :-)," wrote Fahlman. "Read it sideways."

:):thu::cool::wave::p:lol:

• Members

Source

Language experts say the smiley face and other emotional icons, known as emoticons, have given people a concise way in e-mail and other electronic messages of expressing sentiments that otherwise would be difficult to detect.

Fahlman posted the emoticon in a message to an online electronic bulletin board at 11:44 a.m. on Sept. 19, 1982, during a discussion about the limits of online humor and how to denote comments meant to be taken lightly.

"I propose the following character sequence for joke markers: :-)," wrote Fahlman. "Read it sideways."

:):thu::cool::wave::p
:lol:

I hope you saw that he doesn't like bitmapped emoticons -- he thinks they should keep their text-only roots...

;^)

• Members

How many of you had even
heard
of the Internet (in the form of "online bulletin boards") in 1982?

I got my TRS-80 in '81, and it came with an advertisement for Compuserve, but I didn't have a modem. I think it was '91 when I got my 386 with a 2400 baud modem and started finding little local BBS's around town. I didn't finally get on the internet until '95, when I bought my Pentium 200mhz.

• Members

How many of you had even
heard
of the Internet (in the form of "online bulletin boards") in 1982?

I didn't get online in any aspect until 1990. Hell, I didn't own my own computer until 1994.

You're ahead of me. I don't know when I heard of the internet...I'm guessing it was the late '80s, but I don't remember. I got online in 1994 with a 33MHz PC that I borrowed, and had a website by late 1994 (www.elevenshadows.com used to be www.theeleventhhour.com, but is otherwise the same website).

Archived