Prince Banning Cell phones at his concerts/performance.

audioicon

• Members

If Prince wants to control how people listen or view his performance then he should move to a communist country or some place where everything is control by a certain people/organization.

I understand the copyright issues but to some extend. The more "SCARCE" you try to make something the more valuable it will be thus leading to more piracy.

For one the people who goes to see Prince are hard core fans, the once that loves his music and performances.

He needs to cover his head with a pillow case when performing if he finds someone with a cellphone recording his performance so offensive.

My opinion, chew it, spit it out, your choice.

AI

• Members

Just to add, Prince was sued or at least some sort of law suit was brought or threatened by Utah Jazz Player Carlos Boozer when Princess rented a home owned by the Player and changed everything in the house to purple.

This is an individual who likes everything his way but even if it is not his.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0320063prince1.html

AI

• Members

If you set up a public appearance of any kind, as a private individual, you can impose any restrictions on it you want, within legal restraints of course. It's perfectly within his rights to ban cell phones or cameras. People just have to decide if that means they don't want to go to that appearance or not. There's nothing communist about it, any more than if said no one could bring a Nazi flag to some meeting you were putting on. It's your meeting, you get to set the agenda, and I can come to it or not. That's about as democratic as it gets.

• Members

People do a lot of offensive things at shows unwittingly. One of them is talking during a show on their cell phones. I go to the Boston Symphony and I want to pummel people who have their cell phones go off during a concert. It's inconsiderate to bring a cell phone to a concert and then have a conversation when others are trying to listen to the show. I applaud Prince for insisting on good manners and consideration for fellow concert goers.

• Members

For a while a lot of governmental buildings tried to ban cellphones with cameras in them for security reasons.

One of my buddies got turned back at the Federal Building in LA (great name, they tried to draft me there a million years ago, too) until he put his camera-phone in his car. Don't know what he would have done if he'd taken the train up there.

I'm pretty sure they gave up on that empty chicken coop.

• CMS Author
He needs to cover his head with a pillow case when performing if he finds someone with a cellphone recording his performance so offensive.

Guitarist Joe Maphis used to cover his left hand with a handkerchief so that guitarists in the audience couldn't see his fingerings. That was before there were cell phones, though.

• CMS Author

I read an article somewhere (I don't remember where) where it said that the signals from cell phones can interfere with the sound on stage. Has anybody heard of this?

Highly unlikely that a cell phone in the audience could get into a sound system on stage, but it's a real issue with HIGHLY IMPORTANT people who speak at a podium and have to keep their cell phones on. TDMA phones emit a signal that can get demodulated by a mic preamp when they're within about a foot of a mic. It makes a periodic zzzztttt....zzzztttt sound. You may have heard it.

There are a few podium mics now, Countryman is one that comes to mind, that have a filter right at the capsule to keep that RF energy out of the mic line.

• Members

People do a lot of offensive things at shows unwittingly. One of them is talking during a show on their cell phones. I go to the Boston Symphony and I want to pummel people who have their cell phones go off during a concert. It's inconsiderate to bring a cell phone to a concert and then have a conversation when others are trying to listen to the show.

+1. I wouldn't care about people recording my shows or taking pictures, so I'd be fine with people bringing cameras or recorders. But I'd want to ban cell phones just because they're so damn annoying at concerts. Not only people talking on them during the show but on quite a few occasions I can't see the performers because EVERYONE is holding up their cellphones to take pictures.

I guess it's too much anymore to ask anyone to have any consideration for other people, though. :rolleyes:

• Members

People do a lot of offensive things at shows unwittingly. One of them is talking during a show on their cell phones. I go to the Boston Symphony and I want to pummel people who have their cell phones go off during a concert. It's inconsiderate to bring a cell phone to a concert and then have a conversation when others are trying to listen to the show. I applaud Prince for insisting on good manners and consideration for fellow concert goers.

WOW! I find it hilarious that a person with the name "Alcohol" wants to talk "rules and regulations."

Prince did not banned cellphones from his concert because of pepole talking but rather people taking pictures.

But I respect your opinion.

AI

• Members

WOW! I find it hilarious that a person with the name "Alcohol" wants to talk "rules and regulations.

But I respect your opinion.

AI

You don't know the half of it...maybe you do. It goes way beyond simple rules and regulations. Speaking of deregulation...;)

Hi, alcohol! :wave:

P.S. Prince is a has been, trying to sell out postmortem. :D

• Members

Prince hasn't really allowed taping of his shows before - why is it such a shock that he's against it now?

Honestly, this sounds like an excuse to bitch about something.

Yeah, wtf.

This thread is exactly what Princes people want, publicity.

The person who started this thread is typical of the general public. Gets all upset about anything strange that a star does, posts a thread, bitches, has an opinion or 3..... etc etc.

You're being played like a toy trumpet friend.

YOU are making the man $ (prince), no wonder you resent him so much.:)

• Members

+1. I wouldn't care about people recording my shows or taking pictures, so I'd be fine with people bringing cameras or recorders. But I'd want to ban cell phones just because they're
so damn annoying
at concerts. Not only people talking on them during the show but on quite a few occasions I can't see the performers because EVERYONE is holding up their cellphones to take pictures.

I guess it's too much anymore to ask anyone to have any consideration for other people, though.
:rolleyes:

um, should i point out your contridiction?

"""I wouldn't care about people recording my shows or taking pictures, so I'd be fine with people bringing cameras.... but on quite a few occasions I can't see the performers because EVERYONE is holding up their cellphones to take pictures. """

so which is it? you wouldnt mind them taking pictures or it gets in your way?

i notice it at concerts i have been to lately that warranted actually taking a picture. hell, i was guilty myself because i had my cell phone on me and thought wtf, why not? loads of others doing the same thing. hell, i have seen on TV at huge concerts all the people basicallly using their cell lcd as a bic lighter.

most shows i go to however talking on a cell phone isnt a problem for the band or the audience around them, its usually a problem for the cell phone user.

• Members

so which is it? you wouldnt mind them taking pictures or it gets in your way?

Yeah I probably wasn't very clear there. If I'm the performer, I wouldn't mind them taking pictures as far as the "copyright violation" thing goes, which is I presume why Prince is wanting to ban cellphones. That's what I meant by "I wouldn't mind them taking pictures."

As far as the rudeness factor... I've been to plenty of shows, pre-cellphone, where people had cameras and were allowed to take pictures, but they weren't so effin rude about it that they blocked everyone's view. They went down to the front, took some pictures and then vacated the spot so someone else could get a few shots. Everyone got their pics, and everyone who wasn't there to take pics could still see the performers just fine. It's not rocket science to pay attention and be cool.

Cellphones just seem to have this effect of making people oblivious to what's going on around them. The show starts and half the crowd holds up their cellphones high above their heads immediately, blocking everyone's view behind them to get pics. Then they call all their friends (again while other people are trying to hear the music and see the performers), send them the pictures and yak about how cool they are and how many beers they've had. Rinse and repeat 5 minutes later. It's like they're not even at the show, they're just there for bragging rights.

If that's how it is, I'd rather not allow it - because it detracts from the rest of the audience's ability to enjoy the show. But from a copyright perspective, I don't care.

At the last major concert I went to, I shot a few pics with my camera phone. They turned out, for the most part, pretty cruddy. I am certain that if I had tried to do an audio recording of the show with my phone, the results would have been similarly bad. I can't see much appeal to either concert pics or audio recordings captured with a phone. Of course, there are other audio recorders and cameras that are similarly sized but far more capable... but still, most people are going to get less than stellar results unless they have good gear, know what they're doing with it, and are in a good location to make good use of it. IOW, I think most people are going to get pretty cruddy results if they try to capture anything at a concert.

However, if they want to say "you can't bring that in here", then if I want to attend the show, I have to comply. It's their show, and their rules, and I can choose to attend and follow the rules, or refuse and not attend (or risk getting tossed out). I understand that, and don't personally have a problem with it. But as a musician, I wouldn't personally be too concerned about audio or images that some fan caught on their cellphone. But if someone else feels differently, I don't have a problem with that - as long as they announce it in advance so I can leave the phone in the car or at home. :)

As far as incoming calls at a movie or concert, I do think that's pretty inconsiderate. Turn the phone off, or if you absolutely have to have it on in case of an emergency, leave it on vibrate, and get up and leave the venue to return the call. You're not likely to hear what is being said over the phone with the concert in progress anyway, and talking on the phone at your seat, or having your phone go off in the middle of a Brandenburg Concerto is extremely disruptive and disrespectful to the people around you.

• CMS Author

At the last major concert I went to, I shot a few pics with my camera phone. They turned out, for the most part, pretty cruddy. I am certain that if I had tried to do an audio recording of the show with my phone, the results would have been similarly bad. I can't see much appeal to either concert pics or audio recordings captured with a phone.

You'd be amazed at how much in demand a concert recording that you can't buy is, no matter how bad the technical quality, I don't know what the attraction is other than having a piece of fanware that's relatively rare, and the thrill of finding a mistake, a particularly emotional performance, or a funny or obscene comment made by someone on stage.

So, yeah, I can see that while nobody will make any money at it, there might be some recordings available to anyone with a computer who knows where to look that the artist (the generic artist, not necessarily The Artist) may not want to be remembered by.

Many years ago when DAT recorders were new and the Greatful Dead were still alive, I used to visit the DAT-Heads forum to learn about DAT experiences. Most of them were there to exchange recordings of Dead shows and trade tips about gear, techniques, and "feeds." I put my heart on my sleeve and asked for a few samples of live show recordings that people thought were particularly good - not the whole show, not even complete songs, I just wanted to hear what was considered a good recording by those folks.

I got a lot of flack about begging for recordings and not contributing anything (except a whole lot that I had learned about the technology, but I guess that doesn't count as valid trading material) but I also got about half a dozen tapes. The ones with mics, even great mics, were what you'd expect by recording from 100 feet away in a reverberant hall with a loud PA system - nasty. Even "board tapes" were distorted and not very well mixed. I dunno. Maybe I should have smoked some pot before sitting down to listen.

I used to carry an Ampex 600 and an EV 654 mic out to bluegrass shows around 1960 and got (and still have) some very enjoyable recordings, but back in those days, most bands didn't mind if one or two people set up one mic on the stage for recording.

• Members

Yeah, wtf.

This thread is exactly what Princes people want, publicity.

The person who started this thread is typical of the general public. Gets all upset about anything strange that a star does, posts a thread, bitches, has an opinion or 3..... etc etc.

You're being played like a toy trumpet friend.

YOU are making the man $ (prince), no wonder you resent him so much.
:)

I'm not making Prince rich because the last time I bought a Prince CD was about ten years ago. If you are going to buy a record just because someone in a forum is discussing the artist then you have a problem.

I buy music because I love the work of the producers and how the album was engineered. I may not necessary like the artist. Sometimes I buy because I like the artist. But to say having this discussion is making Prince rich, I doubt it.

I am positive that Harmony Central has some of the brightest people on the net and it's highly unlikely that people will run to buy a new Prince CD because I became angry about cellphone restriction.

However I do respect your opinion and appreciate your input to this thread.

AI

Archived