Prince banning fans at concerts.

alphajerk

• Members

Oh... I thought he was banning those ornamental fold-out fans that all the girls use along with their parasols to keep dainty and cool at big concerts.

I hate having one of those fluttering like an oversized butterfly in the hands of the person in front of me...

Oh wait... what century is this?

I think I was thinking of 1907... the burden of memory.

• Members

:D

I could rant, but why bother? This joker seems to be doing just fine looking like a loser. :eek::)

So he was a latent industry pawn? I thought he wasn't down with the bean

counting chickenheads?

I honestly believe the fable about the music industry being started by drug dealers.

He probably doesn't even care, he justs wants to be the center of attention.

I was going to buy Purple Rain on CD. I still got the tape, but lately I thought it would

cool to pick up the CD and give it a few spins. Now, I'm just going to borrow it from

somebody and borrow a digital copy.

I'll return it after I get done doing some act of ritualistic sacrifice with it...probably

involving two pounds of dog {censored}, a can of lighter fluid, and a healthy beer piss.

• Members

Oh... I thought he was banning those ornamental fold-out fans that all the girls use along with their parasols to keep dainty and cool at big concerts.

I
hate
having one of those fluttering like an oversized butterfly in the hands of the person in front of me...

Oh wait... what century is this?

I think I was thinking of
the burden of memory.

kinda funny, but I was in Seoul last month and the hand fan is alive and well! [for guys too, often the fixed fan - the one sort of shaped like a spade on playing cards - is seen as, specifically, feminine whereas the folding fan is more a unisex thing]

• Members

Nice.

When I was a kid it was before air conditioning (OK... it was before they put A/C in public schools here in SoCal, anyhow, that WWII gen -- they wanted their kids to be tough :D ) and when the temp got up into the low 100's and no one felt like working and the big event of the afternoon was lining up to get the ration of one cup of water (there seemed to be some fear of exploding our little bladders or something) the teachers would sometimes put us to work making paper fold up fans.

Finally, one of my teachers -- I think it was my tough minded 4th grade teacher everyone hated at the beginning of the year and was totally devoted to at the end suggested that a study had shown that you actually tend to raise you body temperature by furiously pumping a fan back and forth moving around that stale, smoggy air...

• Members

Anything to keep the rugrats busy!!

I think it's generally a comfort thing (ie skin temp v core temp) much like the idea that the modern bike helmet doesn't really raise your core temp, but man, sometimes popping that lid off during a climb feels a lot better (surface temp)*

There might also be some context issues - I suspect it's gotta be decently humid (so that the fan is nudging the sweat into evaporative "swamp" cooling in an otherwise fairly stable system against the ambient moisture)

One technique note -- some of the locals showed us some neat stuff...don't furiously pump (that may have had more to do with being a 4h grader) - it's a very light motion and there is a sweet spot with neutral wrist angle (the fan "spine" should be close-to-but not-quite parallel with the forearm)

*One time I was touring through Kansas (not flat if you are on a touring bike) and the highway patrol would stop by occassionally just to make sure I was doing alright (they were very cool). At one stop-by...

Officer : "just checking to make sure you're doing OK"

Me : "yeah, fine. Thanks"

Officer : "So, question...why is your helmet strapped to the back of your bike"

Me : "cause it's about 95F and I'm hauling 110+lbs touring bike up this hill and I'm about to puke"

Officer : "Fair Enough!!"

• Members

Anything to keep the rugrats busy!!

I think it's generally a comfort thing (ie skin temp v core temp) much like the idea that the modern bike helmet doesn't really raise your core temp, but man, sometimes popping that lid off during a climb feels a lot better (surface temp)*

There might also be some context issues - I suspect it's gotta be decently humid (so that the fan is nudging the sweat into evaporative "swamp" cooling in an otherwise fairly stable system against the ambient moisture)

One technique note -- some of the locals showed us some neat stuff...don't furiously pump (that may have had more to do with being a 4h grader) - it's a very light motion and there is a sweet spot with neutral wrist angle (the fan "spine" should be close-to-but not-quite parallel with the forearm)

*One time I was touring through Kansas (not flat if you are on a touring bike) and the highway patrol would stop by occassionally just to make sure I was doing alright (they were very cool). At one stop-by...

Officer : "just checking to make sure you're doing OK"

Me : "yeah, fine. Thanks"

Officer : "So, question...why is your helmet strapped to the back of your bike"

Me : "cause it's about 95F and I'm hauling 110+lbs touring bike up this hill and I'm about to puke"

Officer : "Fair Enough!!"

Ah... nice. Fan technique from the ancient orient!

The humidity angle seems an important one -- and, likely, the key to the diminished returns many of us thought we perceived with our little notebook and construction paper fans back in the hot, usually dry, smoggy fifties in flatland Orange County, CA, surrounded as we often were by bone-dry estuaries and hot, dry Santa Ana winds blowing in through the coastal mountain passes and valleys.

Archived