Don't buy your guitar from this guy

dahkter

If they had been real Gibsons, they would have been worth about $90,000 since real Gibsons retail anywhere from $4,000 to $8,000.

:rolleyes: Not if they were Studios or Specials.

OTOH, if the guy was knowingly selling cheap Chinese clones and trying to pass them off as Gibsons, I'm glad they're doing something about it. :thu:

• Members

We don't have to worry about him anymore since he was aressted. What we have to worry about now is people reselling those guitars on the used market(Ebay etc.).

Careful Alndln2,

He's out on bail and I just saw him selling Rickenbackers on Broadway and 32nd.

• Members

strat for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll take my own and drag it behind the car by a rope on a gravel road for a mile instead!!

Savings = 1 thousand or more !!

Darn straight... I just about laughed my A off when I first saw a Fender Custom Shop "Relic" -- complete with fake cigarette burns. (I have to say that I tend to be hard on my guitars, few are without dings, scratches, etc -- and I used to smoke and drink to excess -- but I don't have a single guitar with a single cigarette burn anywhere. Y'know? There's nothing about my strat that looks like an ashtray to me.)

FWIW, this type of thing (counterfeits) was not unheard of around SoCal in years past. I used to occasionally go in little shops filled with crap guitars and look at the logos and go: Hey, wait a second... I don't think Gibson is using $10 tuner sets these days. A lot of times this stuff would be relegated to the "used" rack -- where the guy probably figured he had the fig leaf of being able to say, "Well, gee, the guy I bought it from said it was a Gibson."

FWIW, I was once looking at the "vintage guitar wall" at the Guitar Center in Fountain Valley, CA, (some years ago) and saw, IIRC, an "old" Martin I was convinced (for reasons that now escape me) that had been frankensteined. I asked the salesman about it and he said it was all original. I'm afraid I laughed in his face. The guitar manager walked in and I asked him about the guitar... he hemmed and hawed and finally said, well, I'm not sure of its lineage, actually. I said that it sure looked like it had been assembled from at least a couple guitars and he finally allowed as how that might be the case, that it didn't quite look right to him, either... The price on the guitar was in the mid-four figures.

Caveat emptor.

Archived