cell phone safety

goldear

• Members

Well just to touch on an old topic. There are a couple of small new stuudies out that adress cell phone safety. One study looks at a possible cancer risk, the other looks at slowed brain function.

Both studies point to a need for larger more conclusive studies. The reason I bring it up is that many of us seem so caught up into heavy phone usage.

Bottom line is cell phones emmit low levels of radiation. Radiation can change cells. Would it be prudent to limit cell phone use? My biggest concern is kids.

When it comes to real money and product safety we suck.I am talking about taking over 20 years to decide whether non stick teflon cook ware is safe or not.

• Members

I'll start worrying about cell phone radiation (not that I use mine much) the day they do something about that unlicensed fusion reactor that shows up outside at dawn every day.... the sun puts out vast amounts of 'radiation', you'll even get burned if you spend too much time exposed to it.....

• Members

Fuzzlabs, you make a good point about the sun. We know that we need the sun, but we also know that we should try and place some limits on our exposurse to it. At least maybe people could inform their kids that radiation can change cells, and how long they yap on the cell phone may affect how much you want your cells to change.

For the kids that start using the phones at an early age, they will be a long term user before they reach adult hood.The least we as audults can do is mention the possibility of a health risk.

• Members

I'm not worried about cell phones. Why? Because I hate using phones, period. Only use mine when I absolutely have to. I'm still waiting for the day when email phases them out completely. Hasn't happened yet, so I suppose I'm just wishful thinking.

• Members

The biggest hazard in cell phone use is driving head-on into a semi while driving on 1/10th of a brain & the other 9/10ths involved in clever conversation. I consider this natural selection; Darwin will not be denied!!

If, in 25 years, we see a lot of people with tumors dangling from the sides of their heads, I predict the cell phone companies will be able to statistically prove that it was caused by exposure to the noxious 80% nitrogen / 20% oxygen mix that the victims were inhaling for their entire lives...

• CMS Author

The real issue with cell phone safety is the people who use them while they're driving or walking, neither paying attention to what they're doing. There's a lower risk of dying from cell phone induced cancer than of being hit by a driver who didn't notice me because he was talking on his cell phone, and I didn't jump out of the way because I was talking on mine.

• Members

Those who used the mobile phones for more than four years had more hearing loss in high-frequency ranges in their right ear, the ear most held the phone to, than those who used the mobile phone for one to two years.

"When we compared high-frequency thresholds (the level at which the sound is first detected) between the one- to two-year [users] and more than four years; there was a significant difference in the thresholds between these two groups," he says.

One- to two-year users had a 16.48 decibel loss in the high-frequency range, he says, while those who used the phones more than four years had a 24.54 decibel loss.

That decrease in hearing over a relatively brief period may not be noticeable to mobile phone users but would be of concern to a hearing expert, says Andy Vermiglio, AuD, a research audiologist at House Ear Institute in Los Angeles.

Mobile phone users who had symptoms such as a warm sensation, fullness in the ears, or ringing were more likely to have the high-frequency hearing loss, Panda also says.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/19/health/webmd/main3277734.shtml

• Members

:rolleyes:

I'll start worrying about cell phone radiation (not that I use mine much) the day they do something about that unlicensed fusion reactor that shows up outside at dawn every day.... the sun puts out vast amounts of 'radiation', you'll even get burned if you spend too much time exposed to it.....

I'll continue to admire the new technology from afar. No cellphone for me.

No Blackberry, no iPod, no beeper.... mankind got along for hundreds of thousands of years without these things, I can't help but snicker when folks say "but I NEED it..."

Happy consequence: No microwave emitter right next to my head. And if my brain eventually cooks, it ain't MY fault!

• Members

So if holding a cellphone up to your ear for extended periods is unhealthy, what about those Bluetooth things that you clamp right onto your head?

My wife practically sleeps with hers on.

Bluetooth is a very low power protocol.

That said, there's no way in hell I would leave one of those things clamped on my ear all day long.

For so very many reasons. Not the least of which would be aesthetic and social. I don't have much self-respect -- but I've got that much.

I realize that some people really do have to stay in touch when they're in public -- and a lot of the folks one sees with BT ear clamps do seem to be chattering away. Let's hope there's someone on the other end. (Great cover for absent minded self-talkers, though, I suppose.)

But, no offense to those who have them on right now, when I see folks with those things on and they're not actually on the phone I cannot help but feel like it screams self-important, insecure megalomaniac.

This impression has only been reinforced by the cross-section of peole I see wearing them (as opposed to using them, yes?)

• Members

The biggest hazard in cell phone use is driving head-on into a semi while driving on 1/10th of a brain & the other 9/10ths involved in clever conversation. I consider this natural selection; Darwin will not be denied!!

Don't think it doesn't happen either. I've had people on cellphones turn right in front of me when I was driving with a full load on my trailer. It takes a while to stop when you weigh 70,000 lbs.

I love my cell phone, but I suppose that's because I'm always near a phone when I want to make a call, and I really don't talk on it much. I'm about to get rid of my land line.

Archived