What are all these DVD files?

Jeff Leites

• Members

I just received a DVD of a show that I had a small part in, and I was going to ask how do you play a DVD on your computer? But I figured it out. Now I'm just wondering what all these files are. The tree structure looks like this:

NVE_DVD(D:)

........VIDEO_TS

............... VIDEO_TS.BUP

............... VIDEO_TS.IFO

................VIDEO_TS.VOB

................VTS_01_.BUP

................VTS_01.0.IFO

................VTS_01.1.VOB

................VTS_01_2.VOB

................VTS_01_3.VOB

From what I can figure out, the .VOB files seem to contain the program material.

The .IFO is some kind of control file.

Clicking on the .IFO gets the program started.

Anyone know what these are?

• Members

The BUPs are 'backup' files, i.e. backup copies of the IFOs in case they get corrupted. The IFOs are information files and they contain all the information about the menus, images, chapters, titles, etc... and where they are on the disc. The VOBs are I guess Video Objects that contain the actual video/audio data. The IFO files point to the chapters and other info inside the VOBs.

• Members

Well, they contain MPEG2 data, but they aren't strictly just MPEG2 files I don't think? I've written an IFO parser for our product and the way the data is actually layed out is pretty complex, and has to deal with alternate versions and all that. The IFO files have a set of tables that define what chunks of data in which VOB files make up a given version of the movie, and that info can be spread out in various ways. Each of those chunks would be a valid chunk of MPEG2 data, but if you just tried to feed the VOB to a player that didn't understand the IFO files, i.e. just as a raw MPEG2 file, it probably would choke I'm guessing?

Archived