Hey, Craig, remember CREEM ?

rasputin1963

• Members

Hey Craig,

I've been trying to remember where I first heard your name. Now I remember where:

It was within the pages of CREEM Magazine, which I subscribed to in the mid-1970's!!

It always featured the latest R&R (and Disco and Funk) news, as well as showed aspiring teen rockstars in the hinterlands (comme moi) all the incredible new audio hardware and synths that their fathers wouldn't dream of buying them. ;)

Craig, I seem to remember your name used much in that magazine.... in what context did you contribute to it?

Whatever happened to CREEM? I thought it was way kewl.

ras :thu:

• Members

I remember reading Creem and Circus. Circus was trash...

Call me a...call me a...but I still miss Musician Magazine, which I thought struck a pretty nice balance between Geek and Fan. I liked Spin for their political material, but not so much for their always-up-to-this-very-cultural-nanosecond hipper than thou music criticism by a bunch of privileged urban 20 somethings who sat through a quarter of a Derrida lecture at NYU and started throwing the language of deconstruction around in their witless reviews of The Archers of Loaf...wait, where was I?

Oh yes, Creem.

You know, I can't even remember the first time I heard the name Craig Anderton--I am sure I was still a teenager (I'm 45 now) and I have a very clear image in my head of guy sitting in CABLE SOUP and talking radical {censored} about home recording...the legend, really. Where would we be without him?

• Members

but not so much for their always-up-to-this-very-cultural-nanosecond hipper than thou music criticism by a bunch of privileged urban 20 somethings who sat through a quarter of a Derrida lecture at NYU and started throwing the language of deconstruction around in their witless reviews of The Archers of Loaf

....and if you thought THEY were pretentious, didja ever try wading through the reviews in the British rag NEW MUSIC EXPRESS?

Oh, puh-LEEZ! :rolleyes:

• Members

....and if you thought THEY were pretentious, didja ever try wading through the reviews in the British rag NEW MUSIC EXPRESS?

Oh, puh-LEEZ!
:rolleyes:

Ha! I've seen that. Raygun, too, though my old band got a wee write up in it once...so they're not so bad ; )

• Moderators

This reminds me of all the Elvis Costello hoopla at the time. All the mags talking about Cole Porter this, and the racist, woman hater in pop star's clothing, etc. All the above mags were guilty of over the top nonsense. My buddy at the time says, "Nobody's talking about how cool his albums are. How fun his music is."

I remember thinking how right he was.

Hey, how about Trouser Press and Crawdaddy?!?!?

I used to read Creem occasionally, and I did like Musician... but the magazine I miss the most that we no longer have with us is RE/P. That was a good recording magazine.

I think the first I ever heard of Craig wasn't from Mandrake (sorry Craig, but you guys didn't appear on my personal musical radar until after I started reading your stuff), was either Polyphony or EM, and of course his Guitar Player columns. The thing that always impressed me about Craig's writing (which I've shamelessly and only semi-successfully tried to emulate) is how easy he makes things sound and how understandable his writing is. It's obvious he knows what he's talking about, but rather than try to impress (and confuse!) you with his knowledge, he states things in easily understood language and puts his efforts into imparting that knowledge to you in a very conversational and low key manner.

I have the utmost respect for Craig - as a writer and more importantly, as a person. He truly is one of the "good guys". :phil:

• Members

My first encounter with Craig Anderton was the book Electronic Projects for Musicians. He taghht me how to solder properly (as much as possible in a book), I have the burn scars on my hands to prove it.

I was never fond of Creem, it seemed too trendy and trite, although I liked some of the humor. I truly miss Musician magazine, as well as Option and Sound Choice. We need another music magazine that covers all genres with articles of interest to musicians.

• Members

Actually, I never wrote for Creem, and don't know if I was mentioned in it...entirely possible, though.

But none of you win the trivia prize for my first published article! It was in QST magazine; they took a letter I wrote in and ran it as a guest editorial (with my permission, of course). I think it was sometime in 1965...June '65, maybe. That was when I was still in diapers :)

Thanks for the all the kind words. My reward is that I have a really great gig and have met some really great people...can't ask for much more than that, at least without being greedy.

• Members

Actually, I never wrote for Creem, and don't know if I was mentioned in it...entirely possible, though.

But none of you win the trivia prize for my first published article! It was in QST magazine; they took a letter I wrote in and ran it as a guest editorial (with my permission, of course). I think it was sometime in 1965...June '65, maybe. That was when I was still in diapers
:)

Thanks for the all the kind words. My reward is that I have a really great gig and have met some really great people...can't ask for much more than that, at least without being greedy.

I still have a lot of the columns that you wrote for GIG magazine.

• Members

Musician was a great magazine when the Baird brothers ran it. They had just the right mix of business savvy and love of music that they were able to build it into a really cool mag. It's a shame how Billboard trashed it once they bought it. Musician was also one of the last of that dying breed of magazines where when you asked about the target word count, the reply was "however many it takes."

Archived