Sonar 7

pbognar

• Members

Well, if excitement is a measure of anything, it must be great, because it's stirred up the SONAR forum like throwing a rock at a hornet's nest. I'm going to wait for the .1 release myself, since I don't want to take any chances. But the new MIDI editing tools and finally having support for side chaining are two huge improvements, for me anyway. The MIDI editing tools look quite nice, and since I do MIDI drums (BFD) I spend quite a lot of time tweaking MIDI data by hand.

• Members

Seems kind of weird - I thought by now someone would mention something about the new release... any thoughts?

I guess I'll buy it. I decided only to go for the odd-numbered upgrades. Stil rockin Sonar 5 producer...I probably need to finish my CD project before upgrading though.

• Members

I watched the Flash demo, which switches screens way to quickly to be able to see all of the new features. It kind of hurt my brain in fact :freak:. To be honest, I haven't been very *wowed* with most product upgrades over the last few years. I can't think of many features that someone could offer me that I don't already have available or would need to entice me to upgrade. In fact, the only reason I upgraded to the latest Sound Forge was for the bundled plug-ins. So it's no surprise to me that this announcement is getting a 'meh' response on the web. If I were more into MIDI then the upgrade would seem very worthwhile, however.

• Members

I thought the Flash demo was awful, too.

But the feature list looks good... a lot of apparently much requested features like some kind of delay comp system for hardware fx routing, more sidechain options, a MIDI makeover, the inclusion of some new soft synths, including, if I saw correctly, Garritan Pocket Orchestra, which sounds interesting.

As always, it's an incremental thing.

Me, I'll be waiting for a while. I bought the SP6 upgrade at a decent discount this spring. No guarantee they'll do a similar deal next spring but I should have a good idea how indispensable this version will be -- although it's always a crap shoot what will be included or disincluded in the Pro edition grab bag -- sometimes I wish you could skip the software update and just pay a 100 clams for the Pro goodies. :D

Anyhow, I posted a thread on it over at Gearslutz -- with the observation that the yearly updates for Sonar seldom stir folks up like the often far less frequent updates from other DAWs but that it looked like a good set of updated features, overall.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/145689-sonar-7-shipping.html

• Members

Hmmm... SONAR 6 was a veddy-veddy big step-up for me.... :cool:

SONAR 7 is hard-pressed to improve upon 6's AudioSnap feature, I think. :poke: It's da shizzy.

Still, sidechaining is a very big attraction; that should've appeared a long time ago, IMHO.

What do you suppose "gluing" and "splitting" of MIDI notes is? :confused:

I'm guessing SONAR 7 will have improvements which one cannot see, but which can be "felt".... little things just move better and happen faster. This has been the case in versions 5 and 6 for sure.

P.S. If you check the YouTube promo's and demo's for SONAR 7, be sure to read the viewers' posted comments. They're very astute. ;) For example:

• Members

Hmmm... I haven't moved on Sonar since PE 4, and I'm using Reaper 99% of the time now because it is simple and more stable/resource efficient on my system, and my MIDI needs ain't what they used to be, but...if those new mastering plugs are good--REALLY good--that alone would be worth the price of the upgrade. Throw in a suite of Rene's tasty synths too...hmmmm.

• Members

Hmmm...
SONAR 6
was a veddy-veddy big step-up for me....
:cool:

SONAR 7
is hard-pressed to improve upon
6's
AudioSnap feature, I think. :poke: It's da shizzy.

Still, sidechaining is a very big attraction; that should've appeared a long time ago, IMHO.

What do you suppose "gluing" and "splitting" of MIDI notes is?
:confused:

I'm guessing
SONAR 7
will have improvements which one cannot see, but which can be "felt"....
little
things just move better and happen faster. This has been the case in versions
and
for sure.

P.S. If you check the YouTube promo's and demo's for
SONAR 7
, be sure to read the viewers' posted comments. They're very astute.
;)
For example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AkIZvZ5aXA

I'm thinking you may have more hardware resources than me... I like much of the changes to Sonar 6 -- but it must take at least four times as long to load on my modest machine as S5... Once it's loaded, things are fine, but it's a long 7 or 8 seconds loading... I'm simply not used to that from Sonar.

• Members

I'm thinking you may have more hardware resources than me... I like much of the changes to Sonar 6 -- but it must take at least four times as long to load on my modest machine as S5... Once it's loaded, things are fine, but it's a long 7 or 8 seconds loading... I'm simply not used to that from Sonar.

No, you're right; it DOES take a longer time to load. I don't see why it has to re-scan all your VST's every time it opens up. :bor:

• Members

No, you're right; it DOES take a longer time to load. I don't see why it has to re-scan all your VST's every time it opens up.
:bor:

Yeah... I've been thinking it's time to thin things out in the ol' plug-in department... I have a very large collection of plugs but almost always only about 5 or 6.

• Members
No, you're right; it DOES take a longer time to load. I don't see why it has to re-scan all your VST's every time it opens up.
:bor:

It doesn't have to, you can disable the scan in Options/Global/VST. It speeds the start up time a little. You can also scan new plugs from there too.

• Members

I guess I'll buy it. I decided only to go for the odd-numbered upgrades. Stil rockin Sonar 5 producer...I probably need to finish my CD project before upgrading though.

Same here most of the time. Starting with Cakewalk 1 for DOS I went for Cakewalk 1, 3, 5, 7 and 8 and then Sonar 1, 2, 3, and 5. Always producter edition. They fooled me this time, no pre-release announcement with a discount and it cost more to upgrade from two versions back. Oh well, it is still a good deal. I'll upgrade soon.

Archived