Myspace

Field

• Members

Hey all,

Before I register to Myspace Music, I wanted to know exactly what your site options are. Can someone please post a picture of what the customization page looks like?

Does anyone disagree that Myspace is the Number 1 internet music promoter?

Thanks!

• Members

First, the page customization pages are on a bunch of pages, so that's not really practical.

It's a horrible place to host your music (very lo fi; lame player; takes a long time for pages to load and music to stream; you're limited to only four songs) -- but it is the 800 pound gorilla of social sites and a lot of folks are on there. And no one needs to have it explained to them what MySpace is. (Well... no one with a big toe in the web world, anyhow.) And it gives you "promo tools" like private messages and "bulletins" that can go out to everyone on your friends list.

That said, there are so many self-serving (spam) messages and bulletins flying back and forth, it's debateable whether or not anyone bothers with them.

Now, some other, better micro-indie online music distributors do offer (far better) players that you can embed in you MySpace (or other web) page (where you have access to the HTML) so that's what I and a number of other folks do.

Since I mentioned Soundclick, I can give them a qualified endorsement -- the basic account is free, uses decent but not great quality "standard" 128 kbps MP3s, allows up to 10 MB tracks, and no limits on the total number of tracks per artist -- BUT with one imporant proviso: they do use old-fashioned obnoxious pop up ads. If you and your visitors have an up to date browser and don't turn your pop up protection off, you should be fine, as a rule. But it is something to think about. I'm not sure I want my mom going to my download site and having a message pop up saying "You may be infected! Click here to install a 'fix' that's actually a worm that will INSURE you're infected!" (Well, if they said that it might not be so bad.) But, like I said, a contemporary browser will stop most of that crap in its tracks.

There are a number of other, newer music upload/download sites where you can set up a page for free (or pay -- many, like Soundclick, offer pay-for "premium services" like higher resolution downloads, bigger files, more customizable pages and so on). But one thing I've noticed about some of the newer sties: They often have a slick look -- but perform poorly, forcing listeners to wait 15 seconds or a half minute or more sometimes before a stream starts (not unlike MySpace).

PS... I've been on MySpace for over 3 years -- but a while back I pulled their horrible media player off my page and began using the free embeddable player from Soundclick there (as well as another player I set up to stream my folk podcast recordings from their home at Internet Archive).

PPS... IF you're posting stuff you want to make available free forever (give or take an eon or two) you might consider using the Internet Archive -- www.archive.org -- they've been streamlining the once-extremely awkward upload process, they allow high rez files in a number of formats, and they automatically make your track(s) available in several streaming or downloadable formats right from your track's media page, there. Here's a sample of one of those: http://www.archive.org/details/TKMajorPrettyLittleHead0AYoS20061029

• Members

Hey all,

Does anyone disagree that Myspace is the Number 1 internet music promoter?

Thanks!

Yes.

It does not promote music. It promotes ads.

It is to music what crapware is to HP and Dell PCs - - something to get in the way when you'd like to do anything useful.

• Members

It's got a lot of those problems, but you know what? A ton of people listen to music on MySpace. Go ahead and stick a simple page up, link it to any page you have, and be done with it. If the MySpace Player sounds so bad to your ear that you can't handle it, link to your higher-res MP3s and disable the player. It's good to have a MySpace page, if only because people nowadays expect just about every band to be on there.

• Members

It is mainly just a huge, self-promotional circle jerk. But there is a lot of interesting music on there if you just randomly scan around. They probably allow you to host it on your own site and just provide a link, right? If so, host it elsewhere so that you can provide a higher quality version.

Archived