What do I need to have my own radio talk show on the Internet?

Ryst

• Members

I have an internet connection and Skype. I want to be able to have my own radio talk show where people can call in, I can answer the calls live and broadcast it. I figure this is possible now days but what else do I need?

• Members

You're going to need someone to screen your calls. Yes, I know it's "the internet" and you can get away with so much more than on commercial airwaves, but the number of true idiots calling will wear you down in short order.

Once you've found that person, you'll need to find a way to keep calls out of the signal stream until they've been screened. Don't know of any dedicated hardware for that, and I can't come up with a solution, off the top of my head.

• Members

People to talk to.

I know, I know, I'm an asshole.
;)

That's the big one.

There's a whole internet of content out there looking for listener/viewers to pour it into...

If you do it conventionally, you're going to need to worry about hardwire tel connections and such. There are a number of devices purposed for this but they're not necessarily cheap. (You might rig up something yourself if you like to design circuit interfaces.)

You could, however, get your feet wet with a Skypecast. Skypecasts can go out to anyone with Skype. They point their browser to a link for the show on the Skype site and then they're listening. The Skypecaster can set up the participation parameters and controls who can talk when -- so it's semi-perfect for a "call-in" type show.

You won't find much of a built-in audience -- except people around the world apparently eager to learn English by listening and participating in Skypecasts, which is interesting.

I've done a coupld of test "hit and run" folk Skypecasts (my guitar and me) and it's... kinda strange.

I wouldn't say all the kinks were out the last couple times I used Skypecast -- but it's... interesting.

• Members

You're going to need someone to screen your calls. Yes, I know it's "the internet" and you can get away with so much more than on commercial airwaves, but the number of true idiots calling will wear you down in short order.

Once you've found that person, you'll need to find a way to keep calls out of the signal stream until they've been screened. Don't know of any dedicated hardware for that, and I can't come up with a solution, off the top of my head.

B&h Photo/Audio/Video stocks this sort of thing. Phone switchers/routers, etc...

• Members

B&h Photo/Audio/Video stocks this sort of thing. Phone switchers/routers, etc...

Yeah, like I said...off the top of my head. (Plus I've got a brain full of domestic {censored} going on at the moment.) I've got an older Gentner, but I'm not letting it go.

• Members

Add these guys to that list of broadcast suppliers: http://www.markertek.com/

I googled to see if I could find someone doing a 7 second delay running on a PC. Nothing that I am readily finding. I bet that you could rig a streaming server to implement that.

• Members

I thought about mentioning the 7 delay, but there's really no point in having that; it's the internet, where anything goes, and you're not beholden to the FCC (for now, anyway). The 7 delay only really allows you to keep people from going "WHOOHOO! I love to lick {censored} then pump it with my throbbing cock!" into the airwaves and thwart the censors as a gag. It does nothing for internet stuff.

• Members

I`ve thought about this radio concept as well and just decided a podcast was easier. True that you lose that live feel but at the same time, I like the order of a podcast. Something comforting about knowing the person casting actually put some thought into what they want to say most of the time unlike some of these really successful radio shows like Stern who have no talent but live lavishly for talking about farts and the other nonsense he talks.

EB

Archived