Want to help out the Tibetan community? A portable recording device...

UstadKhanAli

• Members

As many of you know, I edit a radio show called The Tibet Connection (www.thetibetconnection.org/), the only radio show exclusively about Tibet and Tibetan issues. It airs on KPFK and a Pacifica station in Houston, and streams and podcasts as well.

Right now, the radio show needs some more equipment and money to continue operating, and the Tibetans in Dharamsala, India are looking for a single hand-held portable recording device that takes batteries, such as easily available AA batteries, that can be easily purchased rather than rechargeable ion batteries. This is because in many of the remote areas, the recordist will not have access to stable electricity. Right now, they are favoring the Marantz PMD660 but are open to suggestions.

This is a small, non-profit group. If any of you know how to get a Marantz PMD660 or similar device at a discount or, better yet, for free, please contact me!! We'd greatly appreciate it!! Also, if you have any contacts at Marantz or other manufacturers, please send it on. Thanks!!

-Ken

For further detail, here's an email from our Executive Producer in Dharamsala, India:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Ken,

I really appreciate you looking into this for us.

The reason we need another audio recorder is so that we can pursue this new series, Tibet Youth Radio. The first one airs this month. It was produced by my friend, Kyizom, who I've been mentoring, and is called 'The Spirit of '59'. It's about August's mass protest in New Delhi.

We're almost at the end of the Ask Tenzin series, so we're giving over this 3 minute slot at the end of the program to Tibetans like Kyizom to produce short segments. So that's the purpose, nothing to do with me leaving (or staying, which is more like it, actually...)

The reason that I was looking into a Marantz over the M-Audio is purely the battery situation. Even though I like my M-Audio (I have a few quibbles, like it takes a really long time to boot up so is hard to be 'in the moment' with) the main problem over here is that it doesn't have a battery option (again, she means replaceable batteries, such as AA, not rechargeable ones). The Marantz does. It's challenging enough in Dharamsala, but Kyizom will be traveling all over India to various settlements, where the electricity is even more dodgy, in her role as an instructor in this new active non-violence NGO. She will definitely need whatever equipment she has to have the option of battery power. I have a friend who works at KCRW who has been using her Marantz for about a year now and really loves it. She has the older model.

Maybe there is an M-Audio that runs on batteries? There wasn't when we left, at least not one we could afford.

Anyway, thanks for investigating. Right now, Kyizom is borrowing my equipment, so it would be great to get her her own gear. I'm more excited about this new segment than anything else we've ever done on the show. I really encourage you to take a listen. Hopefully, you'll like what you hear and can enthuse to your tech friends about what a worthy project they'll be donating to...maybe even burn them a CD so they can hear for themselves...it's only 6 mins long.

Rebecca

• Members

We're super super super super super super beyond grateful! Thanks, Gus!!!!!!

Dean, thanks for the hand-cranked generator post. There's a very good chance that your suggestion may make this whole thing work! The executive producer felt that they could make that work along with the M-Audio. And the advantage of the M-Audio is that we wouldn't have to retrain the Tibetans on how to use it because they've been using one for a little while now.

• Members

We're super super super super super super beyond grateful! Thanks, Gus!!!!!!

Dean, thanks for the hand-cranked generator post. There's a very good chance that your suggestion may make this whole thing work! The executive producer felt that they could make that work along with the M-Audio. And the advantage of the M-Audio is that we wouldn't have to retrain the Tibetans on how to use it because they've been using one for a little while now.

Being able to contribute something positive to this makes my week!

Archived