Dell Vostro for audio

indigo_dave

• Members

I'm considering buying a Dell Vostro dual-core 1.6 GHz laptop with 2 GB memory. I want to track using a desktop and use the laptop for mixing (in addition to a few other tasks). I plan to use a Glyph external hard drive.

Does anyone know of any chipset issues with the current Vostro laptops ? Any known issues ?

Thanks for your help,

Dave

• Members
Does anyone know of any chipset issues with the current Vostro laptops ? Any known issues ?

I know a lot of people were having issues with Dell lately regarding FW chipsets, but I'm not sure what FW chipset this one(Vostra) uses. Also bear in mind new PC laptops are shipping with Vista, another can of worms regarding Pro Audio at the moment. If you have a copy of XP, I'd consider creating another partition and a dual-boot with Vista/XP.

• Members

Keep in mind that you can order
some
Dell's with XP. (Dell reversed its earlier Vista-only policy after XP became the second most requested feature on the Dell customer request forum.)

You're correct Blue. The Vostro 1500 (or whatever the number is) has XP Pro as one of it's options. As far as chipset problems, I remember last year there was a lot of talk about Dell laptops having firewire problems. I think maybe the problem chipset was 945G. Not sure. I think notebookreview.com had a thread about the old problem.

I was just wondering whether anyone knows about the current models and their chipsets.

Archived