New Joni Mitchell Album Hits Today!

Jeff da Weasel

• Members

In my humble opinon, Joni is perhaps the most thought-provoking and musicially inventive artist of the 20th century. Today, her first album of new material in 10 years comes out, on Starbucks' Hear Music label.

She's older now (going on 64) and the music reflects that, as does her voice. But still, having heard snippets of the album, I'm pretty excited about it. It's called Shine, so if you're picking up a half-caf low-foam soy carmel macchiato or whatever the hell you get, get this album as well. :)

Joni says this is as serious a work as she's ever done, and since Blue, Court and Spark, The Hissing of Summer Lawns, and Hejira all rank among my favorite albums from any artist ever, I'm really looking forward to this.

• Members

Im not sure Im comfortable being so attracted to a 64 year old.

Well, at the end of the day, she's Joni. In a way, whether she was 20 or 40 or 60, she's always been ageless. True artists are not bound by the rules of time like ordinary mortals. ;)

I think when this time period is looked back on, hundreds of years from now, Joni makes the short list of true creative genius, perhaps on the level of a Mozart, or a Picasso.

• Members

Well, at the end of the day, she's Joni. In a way, whether she was 20 or 40 or 60, she's always been ageless. True artists are not bound by the rules of time like ordinary mortals.
;)

I think when this time period is looked back on, hundreds of years from now, Joni makes the short list of true creative genius, perhaps on the level of a Mozart, or a Picasso.

+10

And I can't wait to hear it.

• Members

I just made a special trip to the store and heard the first two tunes in the car on the way back to the office. From the first notes you can clearly recognize the unique Joni-ness. She plays all instruments except for the sax.

Consistent with much of her later work the sound of the recording is just super- done in Calabasis/LA.

I hope it does well.

• Members

Joni's first 5 albums should be required study for anyone who aspires to be a singer songwriter. I've always been pretty amazed how Joni has been kind of forgotten, and yet there are other songwriters, who started out around the time period when she was at her height, who shall remain nameless, that are showered with all this praise, and yet, they're nowhere near Joni's talent and achievements... Anyway, I'm also looking forward greatly to this new recording... :)

• Members

All of Dylan's lyrical ability with greater musical prowess in a more attractive package.

Damn shame about the cigarettes though. I don't think they've helped her voice at all.

64? That cant be cant be. Im not sure Im comfortable being so attracted to a 64 year old.

Tell me about it. I just found out that the first girl I ever got to 3rd base with is now a grandmother. I mean, WTF??!! :eek:

Archived