Jethro Tull

uitar9

• Members

Saw Tull last night in Calgary

Obviously just Anderson and Barre from the old days but supported by three awsome musicians

What a show, I saw them in '73 and now again, 34 years later with my 20 year old son

a 2nd generation Tull fan is born

• Members

Saw Tull last night in Calgary

Obviously just Anderson and Barre from the old days but supported by three awsome musicians

What a show, I saw them in '73 and now again, 34 years later with my 20 year old son

a 2nd generation Tull fan is born

They're just as good now as they were then. Saw them 4 years ago....Ian's latest edition of the band is as good as they get. Passion Play rules. :thu:

• Members

Oh man, Ian Anderson made such an impression on me back in the 70's that I searched until around 1992 for a Martin 0-16 N.Y. geetar (the acoustic he always played) and finally found one at Thoroughbred in Tampa before they got swallowed up by the big box stores. So great to hear he's still out doing it!!!!

:thu:

• Members

I LOVE Tull. But I gotta disagree - Anderson's voice is shot. They still put on a great concert, but it's not like back in the old days.

They're just as good now as they were then. Saw them 4 years ago....Ian's latest edition of the band is as good as they get.
Passion Play
rules.
:thu:

• Members

I don't disagree about Ian's voice. The whole show is now geared around what he can sing.

A lot of This Was and StandUp material plus different arrangements for the "hits" with a lot more instrumental stuff.

I continued to be impressed by Martin's playing. Never over does it, and tone, tone . tone. Did I see 2 Soldano heads on stage, couldn't see the cabs. Seemed like a simple rig, a clean and lead , PRS guitar, plus the acoustic gear.

• Members

That is very nice they are touring, definite brilliant man with group, loved them back in the 70's, saw them within spittin' distance at a big 60,000+ show. I got to say I was playing Thick As A Brick much too complex and found the beauty of Ian's playing so efficient and well learned.

Thats the trick, really, to get more from what it is, simplify the complex.

• Members

I saw them back in the 70's right here in Adelaide South Australia

and they sucked so bad it turned me off them for life.

One of the worst live shows I've had the misfortune to witness.

I think it was a very early gig, maybe even the 1st,

on a world tour and they were obviously unrehearsed....

But it was their attitude that really killed it for me.

It was like: "It's only Adelaide Australia.... so who cares?"

Many people walked out and the show was a fiasco.

I can't listen to a Tull recording now without recalling how bad

they were on the night...

• Members

Ive had the pleasure of seeing them several times deep in the seventies.

I last saw them about 3 years ago in a small venue.

For me they peaked pre-Aqualung.

IMHO When they were fresh and doing the Stand-up and Benefit material they were absolutely a killer live act.

I did enjoy the most recent gig - but the overwhelming energy and vibe of the old days had largely dissipated.

• Members

IMO their peak was Songs From The Wood. The music had developed into something stunning, and the band had the talent to perform it in amazing fashion.

For me they peaked pre-Aqualung.

IMHO When they were fresh and doing the Stand-up and Benefit material they were absolutely a killer live act.

• Members

Are there any live recordings or DVDs from this period out there?

I saw JT back in the '80s during the Crest of a Knave tour. Not good.

I think their studio records from This Was through Aqualung are great.

• Members

IMO their peak was
Songs From The Wood
. The music had developed into something stunning, and the band had the talent to perform it in amazing fashion.

I agree. That show was around the 4th time I saw them and it was stellar. Also dug the Album cover art; stump with turntable arm etc.

So cool Martin Barre is still hanging with Ian, but I really miss John Evan and Jeffrey Hammond Hammond from the 70's.

• Members

Zig Zag Wanderer

There is a DVD available from the early days

it is from the Isle of Wight from 1970 called nothing is easy.

A brief excerpt from CD Now

"In 1970 Jethro Tull played the Isle Of Wight Festival in front of 600,000 people. Earlier that year they had released their third album, Benefit, which had seen the introduction of a full time keyboard player to the band

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

All Tullheads should give the quite recent "Jethro Tull Christmas Album" a listen. Ian Anderson and band in top shape, to me it's one of their best. They revisit some old tunes with a new and very nice and sophisticated delivery. The new material reminds me of some of their best work from "Songs From the Wood" and "Minstrel In The Gallery" and others of the more organic sounding Tull rcords.

• Members

Zig Zag Wanderer

There is a DVD available from the early days

it is from the Isle of Wight from 1970 called nothing is easy.

It's a must have for Tull fans

I have this DVD and it's a gas. I't not the tight, progressive, rehearsed, JT we have grown to expect. They are raw and wild, just going off in this film. It's fun to see. :)

Archived