Phil Spector Mistrial - The Truth About Celebrity Justice

audioicon

• Members

I'm sure most of you are already aware of the mistrial in the legendary music producer's murder case. The law is a game and if you have the money, "in most cases" you can hire the best damn player for your team leading to a legal victory.

I often hear people, including the media talk about celebrity going free and prosecutors unable to convict celebrity charged with a crime because they were celebrities.

What people including the media failed to understand is that most celebrity has lots of money or assets. Even if they didn't have the money for a "super" legal team, many law firms will take their cases just for the publicity and the "business" it will bring them in the future. For example, the lawyer who represented Michael Jackson fee shot through the roof when MJ was found not guilty, now he's the very top of the list.

Celebrities have the ability to hire the best money can bring thus burying a county/state funded prosecutor's office in paper work. I hear people say "he was found not guilty because he is a celebrity." No. He was found not guilty because he had the best damn legal team, and the money for all the best expert witness/independent forensic analysis/complete independent analysis of all evidence regarding the case.

Another thing is the media. They will contaminate any case and any Jury/juror, before the case ever goes to trial.

I'll break down a few cases.

1. Robert Blake - Not Guilty

My take. The victim was very dirty, anyone could have killed her.

She was very well involved in internet marriage scam.

Prosecutor could not disprove that anyone else could have done it.

2. Michael Jackson - Not Guilty

My take . Prosecutor tried "sharing bed with kids" which can be seen as immoral not a crime. Prosecutor unable to convince jury of victim's authenticity. Corrupt victim.

3. Kobe Bryant - Victim withdraw story/refused to pursue case/testify.

My take. Victim unable to prove who tore vagina due to more then one semen found during the rape kit gathering.

So when you look at all these cases, how was any of the verdict influence by the person being a celebrity? It's all facts.

The laws are not based on opinion or what anyone sees as "immoral" but rather facts that are triable.

I'll end by telling a short story of three friends in Wisconsin. They decided to have sex with a beauty queen who had died. When she was alive, these three guys wanted to sleep with her but was unable, now she's dead, they decided to dig her body from the grave. They went to Walmart and bought condoms, went to her grave and decided to dig her body and take it to one of their apartments.

However, they were arrested. Guess what? There are no laws in Wisconsin that makes it illegal to dig up a body and have sex with it. So they were charged with trespassing and let go.

Now being a family member you want them prosecuted and sent to jail but that didn't happened.

My point is, the laws are not designed to prosecute beliefs or morals but rather a crime.

What are your views?

AI

• Members

You're sort of like the E! Entertainment of Harmony Central!!!
:D

Regardless, my take is that I don't really know what happened, and mostly don't care about any of them to try and figure it out.

Thats right Ken, maybe the folks here can come up with an official title for me. :D I'm not so concern or fascinated with the celebrity involved but rather the trials. Just so you know I'm an obsessed fan of the Law and Order TV drama. I love the court room stuff.

AI

• Members

It really is a joke to claim that justice is blind in this country. You will tend to get justice in proportion to the firepower you can bring to the table, unless the case is just flat out inarguable. It's the job of the expensive lawyer to sow doubt and they do it well, else they wouldn't be an expensive lawyer to begin with.

• Members

It really is a joke to claim that justice is blind in this country. You will tend to get justice in proportion to the firepower you can bring to the table, unless the case is just flat out inarguable. It's the job of the expensive lawyer to sow doubt and they do it well, else they wouldn't be an expensive lawyer to begin with.

You're right....justice may not be blind. But with enough cash and a good legal team - it seems like quite a few folks have been able to make it blink! :freak:

• Members

Guess what? There are no laws in Wisconsin that makes it illegal to dig up a body and have sex with it.

Gotta admit, that's one law I wouldn't have thought of making.

I wonder though, how do 3 guys decide to do this? I mean does one person go; "Ya know, I was thinking maybe we could go have sex with a corpse later on.", and the other two go; "We were gonna suggest having a few beers and watching football, but yeah let's do that instead."???

WTF!!! :freak:

• Members

Proof in criminal law is "beyond a reasonable doubt", which is a very high standard.

Proof in civil law is "more likely than not".

That is why you have verdicts like O.J. being acquitted for murder, but found liable for wrongful death in civil court.

So in 12 years, Phil Spector will be raiding Las Vagas hotel rooms to reclaim his memorabilia?

• Members

So whats your take with the OJ trial?

Personally, none of this really matters much to me. I do find it interesting when I think about it but are you really surprised that money makes this all possible?

EB

For OJ, the racist comment made by the cop sealed the case in favor of OJ.

But what I find interesting is that the prosecutors made the case very personal as thou they had a vendetta.

To me the defense won because the OJ trial had tons of scientific evidence which the "jury" couldn't understand. In my opinion, when you have a case that has a lot of scientific evidence, you need an "educated/smart" jury. Most of the people on the jury panel, had no more then basic education and could only see the case as bunch of white people going against a black man.

AI

Archived