places with cool background music

Smart Alec

• Members

kudos to the Hitchcock's supermarket in Hawthorne, Florida. They always have neat music playing on their PA.

Yesterday while I was shopping I heard "She's about a Mover" by the Sir Douglas Quintet, "I feel good" by James Brown, "So you want to be a rock and roll star" by the Byrds and--much to my surprise--"One Track Mind" by the Knickerbockers (of "Lies" fame). That last one is pretty obscure.

They always play stuff like that.

What's weird is it's a pretty rural crowd they cater to--stuff on their shelves like hog jowels and pigs feet :eek:

but they sure do play cool music :)

• Members

The Dollar Tree in Boerne, Texas. VERY humble store aimed at a rural Texas clientele. Also plays rare Oldies.

I could've flipped when I heard "Concrete and Clay" by Unit 4 + 2, "Don't Say You Don't Remember" by Beverly Bremers, and "I've Been Hurt" by Bill Deal & The Rhondells. :phil:

ras

• Members

The coffee shop I'm sitting in has had a mix of Miles Davis and Blossom Dearie on for the past hour or so.

From my perspective, it don't get much cooler than that.

Happily, the bone-through-the-nose crowd is amazingly tolerant... long as you don't play any Nickleback or James Blunt.

• Members

kudos to the Hitchcock's supermarket in Hawthorne, Florida. They always have neat music playing on their PA.

Yesterday while I was shopping I heard "She's about a Mover" by the Sir Douglas Quintet, "I feel good" by James Brown, "So you want to be a rock and roll star" by the Byrds and--much to my surprise--"One Track Mind" by the Knickerbockers (of "Lies" fame). That last one is pretty obscure.

They
always
play stuff like that.

What's weird is it's a pretty rural crowd they cater to--stuff on their shelves like hog jowels and pigs feet
:eek:

but they sure do play cool music
:)

i HATE hitchcock's :mad:

though the one i worked at ( :o ) played elevator music.

• Members

Pirates of the Carribean ride, Disneyland theme park, Buena Park CA.
:wave:

Can't believe I didn't catch this earlier, though...

Disneyland is in the fabulous urban paradise of Anaheim, CA.

I think you were conflating locations with that of the also-fabulous Knott's Berry Farm and Ghost Town (home of the original Boysenberry).

• Moderators

Pirates of the Carribean ride, Disneyland theme park, Buena Park CA.
:wave:

The first time I rode Pirates as a kid, right after it opened, I had to find out what instrument was playing as you leave the ride, your final assent up the last ramp.

Bass Clarinet. I love that last, moody spooky tune.

And speaking of Disney rides being a source for cool background music... I know Danny Elfman is heavily influenced by Bernard Herrman, but I think he must have rode The Haunted Mansion many times as a kid...

• Members

Pirates of the Carribean ride, Disneyland theme park

Don't forget the Haunted Mansion ("Grim Grinning Ghosts" is the theme song, I believe).

I read somewhere that Disneyland ride music was a massive influence on Danny Elfman. I think it shows.

• Members

The
Dollar Tree
in Boerne, Texas. VERY humble store aimed at a rural Texas clientele. Also plays rare Oldies.

I could've
flipped
when I heard
"Concrete and Clay"
by Unit 4 + 2,
"Don't Say You Don't Remember"
by Beverly Bremers, and
"I've Been Hurt"
by Bill Deal & The Rhondells. :phil:

ras

Do you live in Boerne???? My cousin Alton has a goat ranch there, somewhere between Comfort and Boerne.

Archived