Gorgeus new interface from TC

mobobog

• CMS Author

I hope they can solve the drivers problems they have had...

Driver "problems" are rarely actually solved. They just bring out a new piece of gear (as they did here). Some things just don't work well with some other things. The sooner you realize that and return what you bought if it doesn't work for you, the better. It's always better to switch than fight.

And never sell what works before you're sure its replacement works. ;)

• Members

Driver "problems" are rarely actually solved. They just bring out a new piece of gear (as they did here). Some things just don't work well with some other things. The sooner you realize that and return what you bought if it doesn't work for you, the better. It's always better to switch than fight.

And never sell what works before you're sure its replacement works.
;)

Mike,

We certainly expect to prove you wrong. All Konnekt product use the same drivers. The fact is on the Windows side, we're actually doing quite well and performance is good for most people. Where people are having issues, 99% of the time its caused by "other drivers" causing DPC Latency. This can be proven using tools like this:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

The reason that you don't see this with interfaces from some companies is that they've put a rather large Kernel mode buffer in place. Legitimately we were going for high performance and turned down that Kernel buffer too far. In our next release the user will be able to adjust this themselves which not possible on any other driver that I'm aware of.

The Apple side is more complicated. We do have some issues with PPC Mac's that we're working on. We're working closely with Apple and have a great relationship with them. They're purchased Digital Konnekt x32's for their post production rooms.

Take care,

Mike Martin

TC|US

• Members

I do not see it as "low price" but the built-in DSP and the remote control sound like a nice touch.

Hmm. 1400 euro isn't cheap, but with the amount of features they're putting in it, I don't see what else competes with it right now in terms of features per dollar. Having a relatively high end channel strip and reverb that runs on the built-in DSPs in addition to quite a bit of I/O and a remote as well is quite the feture set.

Just for the sake of clarifying things... I guess you already know I do work for M-Audio, so I happen to like a good set of features in an interface, whoevers manufacture them.

1400 Euro are about 1750 USD these days, which is little more than a Digi 003 Rack and it does not include a full featured DAW software. Only 4 preamps make me nervous because I am sure there will be the need of more inputs in XLR at any given moment.

The built-in DSP from TC -and I do actually like TC's FX units- and the cool remote control could make the difference.

I wish them luck, it looks like a great product. For my wallet, it is a little heavy, tough.

• Members

I wish them luck, it looks like a great product. For my wallet, it is a little heavy, tough.

I have an Apogee Ensemble, so I won't be buying one either. I DEFINITELY wouldn't be buying one if I had an employee discount at a major manufacturer...

• Members

1400 Euro are about 1750 USD these days, which is little more than a Digi 003 Rack and it does not include a full featured DAW software.

Yeah, but it's TC. :)

People pay a lot more than that for a couple of channels of old analog mic pre's, ya know. If you want really high quality, well... you open the wallet a little wider. :)

• CMS Author

We certainly expect to prove you wrong. All Konnekt product use the same drivers. The fact is on the Windows side, we're actually doing quite well and performance is good for most people. Where people are having issues, 99% of the time its caused by "other drivers" causing DPC Latency.

Well, I wish you lots of success. TC makes good products. But the problem is that there ARE "other drivers" lurking out there, and because a lot of people don't use just one interface, drivers have to know how to stay out of each others' way. It's surely not an easy thing to do, and there will always be a certain percentage (and 1% is probably too many) that just won't work without rebuilding the customer's computer setup. This can cause a lot of heartburn, both for the user and the manufacturer.

It's not trivial to troubleshoot a problem on a computer that you can't see and that you can't take apart and put back together again to make your hardware work on it. So ideally, it should just work, and work 100% of the time. But there's just no way to guarantee that unless you provide a turnkey system.

Sure glad I don't have to make stuff like this for a living. ;)

• Members

To me, it's the built-in DSPs in addition to plenty of assumably high quality I/O that is the draw. I really like that it has 2 ADAT I/Os instead of only 1.

Amplayer -

To clarify, the ADAT operation on the Studio Konnekt 48 allows a maximum of 8 channels. The second port allows 96kHz operation. As an alternative it will run as two individual optical SPDIF's. We're actually streaming a total of 58 channels to/from the DAW.

Archived