Madonna Nominated For Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

MarkZ

• Members

:snax:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Madonna and disco queen Donna Summer are among nine acts nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as the hall embraces more musical genres.

Other nominees include rock singer John Mellencamp, Canadian poet-singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen, 1960s English band The Dave Clark Five and instrumental rock band The Ventures.

Also nominated are New York-based funk group Chic, rap pioneer Afrika Bambaataa and hip-hop group The Beastie Boys, reflecting the Hall of Fame's willingness to accept a diversity of genres.

Five-hundred music industry professionals will choose five of the nominees to be inducted at a ceremony at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel next March.

Last year, rap group Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five were the first hip-hop artists to be inducted.

Chic, the Dave Clark Five and Mellencamp have been nominated previously.

Artists become eligible for Hall of Fame induction 25 years after the release of their first record and are represented at a permanent exhibition at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame museum in Cleveland, Ohio.

Madonna, 49, made her debut in 1982 and her first album "Madonna" included hits such as "Holiday," "Borderline" and "Lucky Star" which helped her become one of the best-selling pop artists, with more then 200 million albums sold worldwide.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved "Time After Time."

Oh, wait, that was Miles Davis...

Seriously, though, the R&R HoF has always seemed like such a dubious endeavor that they could put Lawrence Welk in there (who famously hated rock and roll) and I don't think sensible folks would give a fig.

And Madonna is certainly as shrewd a pop careerist as any. More power to her.

• Members

Seriously, though, the R&R HoF has always seemed like such a dubious endeavor that they could put Lawrence Welk in there (who famously
hated
rock and roll)

Lawrence Welk hated rock and roll??!?

No way!!!

Didn't you ever see the famous show where he had Jimi Hendrix performing "Purple Haze"?

When Jimi came back on later in the show to do "Foxy Lady", Mr. Welk announced him by saying, "Andt now, heres-a Mister Chimmi Hendrix-a with another great number. Chimmi, more feedback-a, please"

• Members

Lawrence Welk once scowled at me and a friend as he passed us in his Lincoln going through Dead Man's Curve (headed east) on Sunset Blvd.

My buddy, riding shotgun in my funny looking old SAAB 96 (back when I bought cars because they looked funny -- bad rationale) said, Man, I think that's Lawrence Welk sneering at us from that Lincoln.

Having a head full of expanded consciousness that day, I thought that unlikely and observed, No way, man.

But he did look a lot like LW.

And as he floored it and pulled away with that understated throb overburdened luxury cars get when they finally kick into passing gear, we noticed his license plate:

A 1 AN A 2

• Members

The Saab 96 is NOT funny looking, it's aerodynamic! :mad:

It's an Engineer Thing, you wouldn't understand. :p

Madonna was probably the most influential artist throughout the entire 1980's (where MTV made music something different altogether) and she STILL makes waves. I'm rather surprised she wasn't already in the Hall. I'd considered her just another Pop Tart until I saw her on Live Aid, that really changed my impression of her. Sorry. ;)

• Members

I don't think Madonna qualifies as rock. She comes from more of the cheerleading, showtunes and disco tradition, not the rock/R&B tradition of Big Mama Thorton, Etta James, Wanda Jackson, Janis Joplin etc. She has not had an influence on rock music.

John Cougar is a mediocre hack who has made no significant contributions to the rock tradition.

Leonard Cohen isn't very rockish, but I think he did have a big influence on rock.

The Ventures aren't very good. Generally, people who love them have never heard Dick Dale. But I suppose they deserve some credit for popularizing surf music.

Afrika Bambata and the Beatie Boys did have strong lasting impacts on rock and are good choices.

• Members

Why?

1) Madonna is not rock'n'roll. Period. If they wanted to include all popular music they just should've called it the Popular Music Hall of Fame or whatever.

2) Madonna is not very musically talented. She succeeded on her image, her marketing schtick, and by hiring other talented people to produce her, co-write, etc. A lot of people seem to think that's worthy of respect, but I don't. I can't respect a salesman for selling crap no matter how good he or she is at selling it.

• Members

1) Madonna is not rock'n'roll. Period. If they wanted to include all popular music they just should've called it the Popular Music Hall of Fame or whatever.

BeeGees and Gladys Knight & The Pips aren't in my definition of Rock'n'Roll either. I think R&R is synonymous with Pop in this case. But whatever.

2) Madonna is not very musically talented. She succeeded on her image, her marketing schtick, and by hiring other talented people to produce her, co-write, etc.

She's a singer and a dancer. How's that any different from Michael Jackson or Mick Jagger? I don't think Sinatra wrote any of his own material.

• Members

BeeGees and Gladys Knight & The Pips aren't in my definition of Rock'n'Roll either.

True, and they really shouldn't be in there either. They really need to change the name of the place if it's not gonna actually be rock'n'roll. One could argue that a lot of the R&B groups had a big influence on rock, ditto guys like Leonard Cohen. But the Bee Gees... nahhh.

She's a singer and a dancer. How's that any different from Michael Jackson or Mick Jagger? I don't think Sinatra wrote any of his own material.

Oh come on... Michael Jackson and Sinatra are GREAT singers. Madonna is a well below average singer. You could argue either way whether Jagger is a great singer, but he writes his own stuff and there's certainly no denying that he's an extremely expressive singer and he defined rock singing in many ways. There is NOTHING about Madonna that makes her worthy of being compared to any of those 3 so far as talent goes.

• Members

Well not that it matters, since they won't be eligible for the HoF for awhile. ;) But geez, there are about a zillion different sub-genres of rock these days. Anybody from Radiohead to System of a Down to Weezer to Modest Mouse to Clutch... to the old school revivalists like Jet or the Strokes... geez, too many to name, really. But all still recognizable as rock'n'roll, I'd say.

Archived