Collapse
No announcement yet.

The One-Hit Wonder Thread!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was going to post a wretched pop song from way back, called "A Little Bit of Soap".

I've got that!

I had that song on three album set when I was a child called 40 Funky Hits I bought off TV. It had a ton of great stuff on it I never found elsewhere.

"Shimmy Shimmy Koko Bop" Little Anthony and the Imperials
    "Alley Oop" Hollywood Argyles
    "Stranded in the Jungle" The Jayhawks
    "Hot Rod Lincoln" Johnny Bond
    "Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)" Ed Byrnes
    "Dirty Water" The Standells
    "Beep, Beep" The Playmates - my kids love this one.
    "Surfin' Bird" The Trashmen
    And a favorite of mine: "Sister Sooky" by The Turbans, which you can hear
    right here! You have to scroll down a bit.

I think many of these were OHW's.
    Super 8

In memory of our fellow drummer and forum friend, Cheeseadiddle-Nov 2008

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    -- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Golden Earring also had a minor hit with "Bullet Hits The Bone".

That's "Twilight Zone." "Bullet hits the bone" is just the last line in the chorus.

It might be arguable that Roxy Music's only hit was "Avalon".

Oh come now, there's just got to be "MORE THAN THIS!" (pun intended )
      Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

• Ambrosia, you're thinking of "Biggest Part of Me", but that wasn't their only hit. I think "How Much I Feel", and "You're the Only Woman" were also big hit for them. .

A single for Ambrosia's version of "Magical Mystery Tour" also charted...it was one of the singles culled from the "All This And World War II" soundtrack
        "Many (bands)have retooled with that marketing concept in mind without understanding that the party experience is supposed to be for the audience and NOT themselves" - wheresgrant3

Still HCBF's reigning "Sexiest Forumite"....Dont hate me because Im beautiful

DRF On MySpace

Comment

• I know I'm late to the fray, but did anyone mention "Baby Come Back" by Player? Also, "Dance With Me" by Orleans
          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=73567
          Soul On Tap
          The Coupe De Villes
          Chris Beard Band

current gear list:
          Yamaha MOX8, Korg Triton, Korg CX3, Korg X2, QSC K12, Rhodes Stage '73(needs new tines), Ventilator, Reason 3

"Leave the ego, play the music, love the people.." - Luther Allison

Comment

• Yes ("Roundabout")
            Thomas Dolby ("She Blinded Me With Science")

Yes - "Owner Of A Lonely Heart", "Leave It"
            Thomas Dolby - "Hyperactive"
            http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=73567
            Soul On Tap
            The Coupe De Villes
            Chris Beard Band

current gear list:
            Yamaha MOX8, Korg Triton, Korg CX3, Korg X2, QSC K12, Rhodes Stage '73(needs new tines), Ventilator, Reason 3

"Leave the ego, play the music, love the people.." - Luther Allison

Comment

Roxy Music is one of my favorites. They never did do well in America. I think "Avalon" and maybe "Angel Eyes", but that was it. Roxy was of course huge in Europe, but most of the people I've talked to state side have never even heard of them.

I covered "Love is a Drug" in three different bands. That is the hit from them I hear most on the Radio.
              My friends have big houses and new cars. I own music equipment.

Comment

• Were these missed?

Marshall Crenshaw "Someday Someway", a gem of a 2:30 song.

The Motels "Only the Lonely"

Bram Tchaikovsky "Girl of My Dreams", the best song Roger McGuinn never wrote

Comment

• The Jimmy Castor Bunch, "Bertha Butt Boogie"

Troglodyte?
                  My friends have big houses and new cars. I own music equipment.

Comment

• "A Little Bit of Soap" was originally by The Jamels (sp?) and it was a 1HW.
                    My new webpage: http://www.richardkingmedia.com/ Take a look and let me know what you think.

Comment

• The Hollies, "Air That I Breathe"; that's all I can remember, correct me if I'm wrong.
                      The Hollies had a TON of hits before Graham Nash left for Crosby, Stills and Nash. Bus Stop, Carrie Anne, Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress, He Ain't Heavy, and the list goes on. Good stuff for the most part.
                      My new webpage: http://www.richardkingmedia.com/ Take a look and let me know what you think.

Comment

• "In the Year 2525" by Zagger and Evans was a one hit wonder (THANK GOODNESS). What a HORRIBLE song.

Comment

• I don't think anyone has mentioned "A Little Bit of Soul" by the Music Explosion.
                          "Mule Skinner Blues" by The Fendermen, a band out of Wisconsin.

Comment

• I don't think anyone has mentioned "A Little Bit of Soul" by the Music Explosion.
                            "Mule Skinner Blues" by The Fendermen, a band out of Wisconsin.

The Fendermen kind of leads back to the Minneapolis label SOMA which was founded by an early giant of record rack jobbing, Amos Heilicher. SOMA also had 1HW with Surfin' Bird by the Trashmen and Liar Liar by the Castaways.

Comment

• Were these missed?

Marshall Crenshaw "Someday Someway", a gem of a 2:30 song.

Great call. A perfect little pop record!
                              Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

• I don't remember seeing Lean On Me by Bill Withers...or Drift Away by Dobie Gray. I think those are both good...

dB

Drift Away... Dobie Gay? He's a two hit wonder.

Let's not forget -- he was in with the in crowd.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Working...
                                X